HDMI port on tv?

dziehm

I'm going on the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Splendor in a couple of weeks and am thinking about bringing my portable DVD player. Is there an HDMI port on the TV's? I can't seem to get an answer from Carnival. 

The options for watching tv don't ever seem to be very good, even though I'm not in the cabin all that much.

Thanks!

There are HDMI jacks on many TVs but they are disabled in software. Some TV are mounted on fixed brackets so close to the wall you would not be able to plug in the connector.  The TVs in some suites are sitting on a shelf, and while you can get to the back, the connectors are disabled.

The TV sets are quite small on the Splendor. If you bring a 17 inch laptop you will be able to enjoy filmed entertainment with almost the same experience as seeing it on the TVs. 

28 minutes ago, Bobbysjack said:

I managed to connect my iPad with an hdmi cable to a tv on the Horizon and could play downloaded Netflix shows & movies. I haven’t tried it on any other ships we’ve been on. 

Did you take a universal remote to change the hdmi?

Yea, easiest way is to take a universal remote. Some of the tv's you can use the input button. On others still, that will only work if you unplug the telephone cord going into the tv. But the universal remote option will work without having to do that step. Also note, on the Horizon, there is no easy to get to power on that side of the room. But if you bring a flat power cord, there is an outlet behind the tv.

Also note, it's a tight fit behind the tv's. It helps if you take a picture so you can see what you're trying to do. Another alternative to HDMI, is to use the USB ports on the tv's. That's what I ended up doing on the Horizon.

13 hours ago, Bobbysjack said:

I think I just used the input buttons on the tv. It wasn’t perfectly user-friendly, but if you know a little bit about TVs you can figure it out I think 

unless they changed the blue and white remotes, there is no input button, I know a lot about TVs. The phone cord which is plugged in the back for on ship info also disables the HDMI

I did not use the Blue & White remote, but the buttons on the TV itself. I think I may have unplugged the phone cord or network cable on the back of the TV. We were on the 2nd sailing of the Horizon in April, so its been a while and I don't remember all the details, but at any rate, it worked. I will admit, a universal remote probably would have been easier. I only tried it that one time, just to see if I could... the rest of the cruise we were way too busy to be bothered with the TV. 

Here's a link and the text you and I agree to abide by when we cruise Carnival. It's your call.

Connecting Personal Devices to Stateroom TV's
Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/~/stateroom-television-programming

7 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Here's a link and the text you and I agree to abide by when we cruise Carnival. It's your call.

Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/~/stateroom-television-programming

I guess he's The TV Police... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bobbysjack said:

the buttons on the TV itself. I think I may have unplugged the phone cord or network cable on the back of the TV.

On the Horizon the physical button is in the center on the bottom of the tv. Like a mini 4 way joystick. But you do have to undo the comm cable in order for that method to work. With the universal remote, no need and you can easily swap between the two modes. No idea how you managed to get to that cable. I have pretty small hands and had no luck. Barely was able to do the usb drive.

27 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Why do you care? It affects nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BallFour4 said:

1 hour ago, Bobbysjack said:

47 minutes ago, coevan said:

Why do you care? It affects nothing. 

40 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Is it remotely possible that the person is just provided the "official" information but in reality could care less what you do on your vacation?

This.

As an aside, perhaps:

I suspect, but cannot prove, that the original rule regarding connections to TVs might be a hold-over from the days of CRT TVs (and maybe early plasma Flat panels) where screen burn-in was a real problem from external devices being hooked up and left on with a non-moving image screen (like the game over screen from a Nintendo set).  By disabling the inputs, burn-in was avoided.

It is also possible that, since some of the TVs are mounted in a way that it is difficult to reach the back ports, and any given TV model does it differently, so it is hard to be consistent in providing an access path, that dissuading people from connecting reduces the chance of the TV mount being abused.  Providing an extension connector, as required, wouldn't be that hard, though.

Thus, maybe there is no harm in connecting to the TVs these days, and the policy is outdated and should be adjusted to allow external devices, perhaps via a single HDMI port and a single analog input, or perhaps they should just not care to configure the TVs at all and leave them set up "out of the box".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobbysjack said:

You completely understand (or perhaps not) that I just answered the question with something from the Carnival FAQ page. Then, if you noticed I said "it's your call."
 I give few opinions, I do answer questions with a detailed answer based on past experience or what I can research. You went straight to name calling due to lack of content.

How'd that work for ya?