Regent adds casual, Pool Grill dinner, pre-voyage on-board credit access

captjohn

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I most definitely did not post anything that should be construed as”damning with faint praise”.  My only concern is taking crew members that may be needed in CR,. P7, Pacific Rim or Chartreuse and having them serve 15-30 passengers (number based on prior posts).  While this may be an easy job for crew members on the pool deck, the rest of the bar/serving crew members are trying to serve 470 - 700 guests in other dining venues.  

Well if they want this thing to be a successful alternative, I would think they might have hired a few extra staff?

59 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

In post #38 of this previous thread a Regent representative has already addressed this concern

I interpret Jason O'Keefe's comment to mean that they will add staff to the Pool Grill area but they will be taken from other areas of the ship.   The last time I checked, some crew members and entertainers are using revenue generating suites to accommodate them since there is not room to add more crew members.  Even if they had space to accommodate 2-3 more crew members for 3 hours on "some" evenings, they would have to be assigned elsewhere the rest of the time. Jason will correct me if this is no longer the situation.  

If it were not so bloody hot, I would have gone to the pool deck and ask.  Perhaps, since we are leaving in 20 minutes and there is the TPG event at 3:00 p.m., I'll try to learn more.

I stand corrected.  They were able to hire 5 people to keep the Pool Grill and Bar open.  I asked where they had room for them and the response was "we squeezed".  When asked what they do the rest of the time (kinda dumb question) -- they help out where needed o the ship.  The G.M.'s must be happy to have the extra staff - especially when they are only needed for a short time on some evenings.  It is obviously up to Regent to decide if this change and the cost of the added staff is worth it.  

In any case, when I am wrong - I am wrong!

On 11/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Loved the Le Cordon Bleu class that we took  (so many years ago - on Voyager).  On the other hand, the culinary classes on Oceania and Explorer are amazing. Explorer has individual work stations - just like on Food Network.  MalbecWine — you may want to sign up for a class for your Explorer cruise — once they are available they sell out very quickly.  

Jackie -  the Cordon Bleu “series” were wonderful and for me set a standard of what cooking classes on boardshould be.  Took one on the Mariner, LA to Miami, and a second on Voyager, trans Atlantic.  Since then I have taken several on Riviera.  Those were not nearly as good.  More “eating” than cooking.   I am looking forward to trying a few on the Splendour but I fear they will be like the ones on Riviera.  After all  - does’t the same company run both?   What do you think?

On 11/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, Travelcat2 said:

8 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Gerry, I doubt if any classes currently offered will be as good as Le Cordon Bleu.  We have taken classes on Oceania but not on Explorer.  We will try one on Explorer in February.  The individual work stations should be interesting (especially since I depend upon Dennis to help me a lot).  

There is a dish that you mentioned on some thread this past week and I think I will nag you for the recipe when I see you because just the name sounds wonderful.  

Still plan on taking photos on the Pool Deck around 6:00 p.m. to see how many people are up there.

What I  loved about the Cordon Bleu was that almost everyone in the class knew how to cook.  And wanted to take their cooking to a higher level.   Since we "camped out" in what used to be Latitudes kitchen the work stations were non-existant.  but Oceania has (and this pre-dated Regent's Explorer) work stations that are shared by two people.  Since Ken obstinately refuses to cook anything more than turning on the kettle or Nespresso machine (!) I have to share with someone else - whom I do not know.   If you can share with Dennis I assume the Explorer stations are for two people?   Oceania's are , definitely.   I would prefer for one person.  (like me!!)   the Oceania classes were far more "intro 101" and "eating 202" than the Cordon Bleu.   I am waiting to see what is on offer for our 2020 cruise and will then decide.

Rich48100/Rich & Barbara currently blogging on the Grand Voyage Miami to Sydney on the Mariner's latest post describes well why the Pool Grill is coveted by Regent guests after a long excursion: (Post #406 pasted below this link)

Had a wonderful day in Fiji.  Started with a nice Brunch for all Grand Voyagers.  Attended by most folks and many ships personnel.   Next our excursion, Navua  River by longboat.  Drove for about an hour to the jetty where we changed into our “going to get wet clothes”.  We were assured we will get wet whether we like it or not.  We did,  but that was ok.  Got to our destination, nice waterfall with swimming at the base.  Back on the boats to lunch and demonstration about Fiji culture.  Back on bus  to get back to the ship.  We were so lucky again not to get rained on as all were  predicting rain. 

Once back on ship, cleaned up and went to dinner at the pool grill.  Now the rains came, but it was ok as we were all back from excursions and under cover.  Well attended as many were tired after days excursions and just wanted to relax and not get all dressed up.

A good day overall.  Enjoy a few photos.

Obviously the Pool Grill would be utilized more in warmer climates than in cooler ones.  And, each voyage is different.

In terms of returning back to the ship from an excursion late and you do not wish to change clothes, La Veranda will allow these late excursion folks to dine there (inside or outside dining) without changing clothes).

In any case, now that we are in calm seas and it is not raining (but it is bloody hot), I went to the Pool Grill around 8:00 p.m. and found some CC friends up there so we chatted for a while.  The food reports were excellent as was the service.  There were quite a few people there last night and ALL were dressed nicely - no one in shorts - no one in the Jacuzzi but did see one man in black jeans (I would not have noticed if he didn't tell me that they were jeans- it was pretty dark).  He already had been asked to go back to his suite and change on this cruise when he tried to dine in CR.

For some reason I was under the impression that people eating at the Pool Grill would be dressed as they are during the day and people would be doing the "people soup" thing in the Jacuzzi (like the term "people soup" that was brought to my attention on the Jacuzzi thread).  

As I've said, I have no problem this new dining venue -- as long as it does not affect service or the dress code in the interior of the ship.  IF the weather were perfect (68 degrees),  we would consider dining there.  

Edited by Travelcat2

I am still trying to figure out the pool grill and the perception of some to dress up to go. According to Regents website they advertise as “enjoy this casual dining experience whether you are getting a bite after swimming at the pool...” I am quite excited about this venue as an alternative after a long day. As we are booked on the especially warm 2021 WC, I can imagine after a long excursions wanting to relax by the pool, swimming  and reading. I was hoping after that I could put on a cover up for a quick bite at the pool grill. I can see some evenings just hanging out by the pool.  Being from Atlanta hanging out in the evening socializing by the pool is common place. That being said we would clean up if going anywhere else on the ship other then our cabin. 

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

I am still trying to figure out the pool grill and the perception of some to dress up to go. According to Regents website they advertise as “enjoy this casual dining experience whether you are getting a bite after swimming at the pool...” I am quite excited about this venue as an alternative after a long day. As we are booked on the especially warm 2021 WC, I can imagine after a long excursions wanting to relax by the pool, swimming  and reading. I was hoping after that I could put on a cover up for a quick bite at the pool grill. I can see some evenings just hanging out by the pool.  Being from Atlanta hanging out in the evening socializing by the pool is common place. That being said we would clean up if going anywhere else on the ship other then our cabin. 

I'm with you!  I've always hated that the pool basically shuts down by 6.  I don't spent a lot of time on the pool deck on cruises, but do love a dip.  And after a hot day excursioning, this might just be the ticket.

23 minutes ago, travelwell said:

Oh, I love the idea of someone playing soft classical guitar, NO reggae or steel drums. 

No worries about steel drums or anything else loud.  Music from the pool deck wafts into many suites and anything other than soft background music can be disturbing to passengers.  They do blast the music sometimes at lunch and definitely at the Country Fair and in the case of the Country Fair, you can hear the music through much of the ship.

21 hours ago, travelwell said:

You can definitely do that.  Our cruise was not that warm and dark early so no one was swimming at night.  We changed to slacks not knowing where we would wander.  I’m hoping our next cruise when it will be light later, we will enjoy it even more.