Vision of Sea drydock

creel5857

25 minutes ago, creel5857 said:

I had hoped drydock on ship her age was going to include upholstery and linens but guess that was wishful thinking.  We are scheduled on deck 8 so hope that issue with the leaks got fixed and rooms cleaned back up good.  We have sailed holland and princess several times and we like mid size ships rather than larger ones and dont need all the bells and whistles at our age.  We had chance at this one leaving from port we can drive to and i had hoped it would be fresh and clean after dry dock but maybe that was wishful thinking...........thanks for update

That's not a norm on Dry Docks, usually just for a Marine Side Maintenance. Regular Maintenance is done yr round on Furniture repair, paint, replace carpet. To replace replace/update all upholstery and carpet on ship would take over a month, only Royal Ship I know ever did that was the Majesty. Usually Royal ships are sold with most same style they first went to sea with. Not to say Carpet ripped/stained, furniture broke, all repaired yr round as I said

Ok thanks......I guess we have been lucky and on last princess and holland cruise as they had received some major updating with interiors (carpets, linens, dining chairs, deck chairs). because we had also sailed them before drydock so we knew what they looked like before drydock.     but it doesnt matter because i plan to have a good time and am confident their routine maint will help it look fine.  Thanks for all the pictures and comments

17 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

We left Vision on Thursday after the first cruise out of drydock, it was our  7th time on her . We had a great time onboard with friends and the service was very good but there were problems.

For the first 3 /4 days there was a problem with the desalinated water supply. Hubby and I had breakfast In Giovanni’s  took one sip of the water and nearly spat it out , it tasted like salt , yuk !  I spoke later with F&B Director , whom I got to know over the course of the cruise , he explained that the minerals they used to flush out the system were still in the system and they were working on it . At the M&M I tried the water there, yuk! Salty again. I would not eat or drink anything after that which needed the ship water to make it . We only drank bottled water after that.

The ship was quickly using up the bottled water , even using the crew larger bottle supply , at the first port more was taken onboard and things did improve .

We ate in Chops, Giovanni’s and Izumi, all were disappointing and we actually left Izumi feeling hungry ! 

In Chops we used our BOGOF but in Giovanni’s and Izumi I was a guest. It is not the done thing to complain about something when you are a guest. All the food In Giovanni’s was way too salty. I ordered the steak and usually enjoy that , I was warned by someone in the party not to put the sauce on it as their’s was salty.

I had prime rib in the MDR on the last formal night , it was smothered in a salty sauce and had to scrape it off . In all our RCI cruises it was the worst food except in the WIndjammer which was great with plenty of variety, loved the made to order stir fry station at night.

Someone mentioned elsewhere on CC new upholstery in the MDR , if there was I never saw it , had breakfast there on many mornings at different tables, chairs were badly stained . There was new carpeting  on stairs and other areas. 

We never had cold water in our sink the whole cruise, deck 3 . I did not mention it to GS and the room steward until day 3 as I know after a drydock where pipework has been replaced there could be issues, been there done that on Navigator .  It was obvious that somewhere in the system a hot and cold pipe were touching causing the problem. I got to know the deck housekeeper , Mercy, quite well and she said the problem was in several areas on deck 3. The solution was to provide a bucket of ice in the bathroom to add to the warm water  in the sink . There were contractors still onboard our cruise on our deck fixing leaks. We survived the lack of cold water , it was just inconvenient, hubby likes cold water face washes to wake him up, 😆.

Apparently the jacuzzi on the pool deck was replaced and not sealed properly , on the journey from Freeport to Miami several cabins were flooded beneath . Yikes. Don’t know about the guests who were housed in those cabins , never walked through deck 8.

We had a great cruise but only for the friends , old and new , with us and the fab itinerary. Vision is a lovely ship and I am sure all the niggles will be sorted out eventually

Any updates as to whether Izumi is fixed price or a la carte? Do they still do Hot Rocks on this ship?

A la carte pricing and yes to the hot rock. I had the sea food hot rock, very little on it , so dissapointing for me as it was my first time having it . The meat and sea food one was $24 , I think mine was $18. 

I hated that the cooking smell permeates from Izumi into the Viking Crown and Suite lounges on Vision. 

Edited by heatherb1958
Forgot quote

33 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

A la carte pricing and yes to the hot rock. I had the sea food hot rock, very little on it , so dissapointing for me as it was my first time having it . The meat and sea food one was $24 , I think mine was $18. 

I hated that the cooking smell permeates from Izumi into the Viking Crown and Suite lounges on Vision. 

Thanks for update - my pre cruise planner is currently stating $49.99 including 20% discount!

I learnt early on seafood was not the way to go, but really enjoy steak hit rocks for a change. Not a big meal as you say but so much other food good to eat light sometimes. I dont like the deserts so I give them a miss.

51 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The only changes that I can discern in my cabin are stickers.  There are some new stickers.  :classic_rolleyes:

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

Hmmm. Our recent captain on Freedom made the comment "If You Don't Eat It Don't Flush It"

Toilet paper...really...that I'm going to flush.

• 4 months later...

We have a Panama Canal cruise on Vision in late October 2019. We have an aft corner balcony stateroom. I have seen videos on You Tube of this stateroom from 2014 showing the balcony to wraparound the side of the stateroom. We are on Deck 7. Does anyone know if the wrap--around balcony still exists or was it altered in some fashion since 2014? Thanks for any info or photos.