No more Ribeye steaks at Cagneys?

fstuff1

On 11/15/2018 at 7:13 AM, jpcdds6 said:

Anyone have any recent photos of food at Cagney's? Old ones? Would like to see how they compare.

Here’s a couple pics of cagneys menu items from 2015.  We still had great steak recently on the Bliss in Le Bistro.  No great seafood options in any venue pay or included on our Bliss sailing.  Shrimp isn’t my idea of something special on a cruise.  It’s something I can make at home in a hurry and on the cheap. Lobsters were delicious and a treat but they were axed from when the free at see got up and running. here’s a picture of my breakfast sandwich from the buffet on our recent Bliss sailing. Sure it’s food.  Just not what I’d expect on a cruise ship.  Our embarkation lunch at taste was a joke. It was fried chicken.  The cold slaw was served hot, the cream corn was served cold, the fried chicken was a pre fab chicken patty. We ran to purchase specialty packages for remaining dinners which is no doubt what they are aiming for. The local on the Bliss had good food and service.  Specialty venues were pretty good.  Le Bistro was excellent.

374E46C3-3DD5-41E8-A875-6718CF4F9666.jpeg

940EAAAE-4A0E-43BB-AA3E-FCBE4D401089.jpeg

BA722A62-92B5-4199-9818-28B9EC12EB10.jpeg

I went 2x in September- the first night I had the ribeye and it was just too much food- I had the 8 inch filet the second night and enjoyed that more. That's just me though- I would have not been happy had there not been a choice though. What's just as disturbing to me is that the same cabin class for 1 year exactly later jumped 20%. Its getting out of hand. 

The menu prices of course increase as well- I did to the 4x SDP and surprisingly didn't come out much ahead. 

6 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

This past Saturday I had the 16oz ribeye on the Escape.  I can honestly say that it was the best steak that I have had in Cagney's in about 3 years(10 or so meals).  My favorite was the 18oz bone-in ribeye.  

That's good to hear. I hope the ribeye is back fleetwide.

Edited by IrieBajan54
consolidate word

On 11/15/2018 at 9:39 AM, sid_9169 said:

I remember the "good 'ol days" of the tomahawk ribeye... Sigh...

Hello Sid,

We are on the same cruise with you.  My son will be wearing a "Captain" shirt. 🙂

Maybe we'll see you at sailaway party at H20 around 4:30. His name is Sean.

It's always five o clock on the ship. 🕔

We were on the SUN 2 weeks ago and Cagney's food was amazing.

The steaks were awesome and the Sea Bass was also.

Mushroom soup was as good as ever.

Service was superb.

We were told that they may not have ribeye steaks due to a problem with their supplier.

They did not like the quality.

They are working on this.

Just off the Dawn today (Nov. 18-25, 2018) and ate at Cagney's one night. While the menu still has the Ribeye listed, we were told before we even looked at the menu too long that there was no Ribeye available. Had the Porterhouse and was cooked to perfection!

We were on the Epic transatlantic, earlier this month and ate at Cagney's twice. Ribeye was definitely an option, both times, though it was a regular ribeye, not the "Cowboy Cut" tomahawk bone-in ribeye that they used to offer.

Here is the porterhouse, a nice cut of steak, I have no idea what the person claiming it was "paper thin" was talking about.

IMG_5446.JPG

48 minutes ago, adjensen said:

We were on the Epic transatlantic, earlier this month and ate at Cagney's twice. Ribeye was definitely an option, both times, though it was a regular ribeye, not the "Cowboy Cut" tomahawk bone-in ribeye that they used to offer.

Here is the porterhouse, a nice cut of steak, I have no idea what the person claiming it was "paper thin" was talking about.

IMG_5446.JPG

That is a nice steak, but I would call that particular cut more of a "T-Bone" than a true Porterhouse, which should have much more of the tenderloin side....

10 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Just off the Dawn today (Nov. 18-25, 2018) and ate at Cagney's one night. While the menu still has the Ribeye listed, we were told before we even looked at the menu too long that there was no Ribeye available. Had the Porterhouse and was cooked to perfection!

I happen to be one of those that likes Porterhouse better than any steak so I will be satisfied with or without Rib Eye. 

I was on the Dawn last week as well and asked the server about this because I had seen this post before I left.  His explanation was that the reason the ribeye was currently off the menu was due to a quality issue from the supplier.  Apparently the fat cap on the ribeye was dissolving when cooked, so the cut ended up like a strip.  For awhile they were having a similar issue with quality with the porterhouse and they were off the menu too, but it looks like issues with that cut have been resolved.  I'm not sure if that's a line they were told to feed passengers, but I thought I'd pass that tidbit along. 

In place of the ribeye is a t-bone that while cooked fine, was probably the thinnest cut of meat I've ever had from Cagney's.  If people are interested, I have a photo somewhere in my memory card and can post it when I go through my pics from last week.

They had them this week on the Bliss... However our service on the bliss at Cagneys was possibly the worst we have ever had... anywhere. 

Time line with a large group with 2 tables.

45 minutes they take our drink orders (after i get up and ask the manager to take our orders).

20 minutes table 1 orders food

20 minutes after that table 2 orders food

1 hour later table 2 gets meal

45 minutes later table 1 gets meal, 4 meals brought out incorrect (1/2 miss a show) (even though they order first)

2nd table gives up on desert and leaves

1st table sits around another 40 or so for desert

7 minutes ago, snownow said:

They had them this week on the Bliss... However our service on the bliss at Cagneys was possibly the worst we have ever had... anywhere. 

Time line with a large group with 2 tables.

45 minutes they take our drink orders (after i get up and ask the manager to take our orders).

20 minutes table 1 orders food

20 minutes after that table 2 orders food

1 hour later table 2 gets meal

45 minutes later table 1 gets meal, 4 meals brought out incorrect (1/2 miss a show) (even though they order first)

2nd table gives up on desert and leaves

1st table sits around another 40 or so for desert

To me, this is totally unacceptable.

I feel bad for you and your group.

The Maitre 'D should have interceded and made sure that things were corrected.

I think that is why we prefer the smaller ships.

We are going on the Breakaway in 10 days.

This will be our first longer (10 days) cruise on a mega ship.

Our other mega ship cruise was on the Bliss, but only 3 days and no specialty restaurant.

I did not enjoy our time on the Bliss - too big and too impersonal.

I'll try to remember to post here concerning Cagney's.

It has always been our very favorite on the smaller (Jewel class and below) ships.

Service has always been great and the food has been well above expectations.

3 minutes ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

To me, this is totally unacceptable.

I feel bad for you and your group.

The Maitre 'D should have interceded and made sure that things were corrected.

I think that is why we prefer the smaller ships.

We are going on the Breakaway in 10 days.

This will be our first longer (10 days) cruise on a mega ship.

Our other mega ship cruise was on the Bliss, but only 3 days and no specialty restaurant.

I did not enjoy our time on the Bliss - too big and too impersonal.

I'll try to remember to post here concerning Cagney's.

It has always been our very favorite on the smaller (Jewel class and below) ships.

Service has always been great and the food has been well above expectations.

He tried to... but it just got worse from there. They ended up adding an additional specialty restaurant to our account, but only 1/2 of us ended up using it. The next night at Los lobos they sent us the best wait staff the ship had to offer. It was great, but did not really make up for such poor service the night before.  I doubt we will sail on the Bliss again as well. It was nice, but did not live up to how our last NCL cruises have been.  

Edited by snownow

28 minutes ago, snownow said:

He tried to... but it just got worse from there. They ended up adding an additional specialty restaurant to our account, but only 1/2 of us ended up using it. The next night at Los lobos they sent us the best wait staff the ship had to offer. It was great, but did not really make up for such poor service the night before.  I doubt we will sail on the Bliss again as well. It was nice, but did not live up to how our last NCL cruises have been.  

Well, at least they tried.

It sounds like they need a better Maitre 'D in Cagney's.

The ones I've known would never have let that happen.

I've seen them bring wait staff from other restaurants to serve and lighten the load for the regulars.

I have heard that they also can move chefs if needed, but it must come from the Maitre 'D.

OR - big ship syndrom......:classic_cool: