Teppanyaki changes???

CruisinHarvey

Has anyone else noticed changes to the show in Teppanyaki. We were on the Dawn in September, and my DW and I thought parts of the show were missing. We just chalked it up to being a smaller ship, and wasn't nearly as fun in that small venue. Well, just off the Bliss November 3rd. Same show. Once the knives and eggs are spun around,  and rice started cooking, done.  No more making a beating heart out of it, no more breaking the heart. No more onion volcano. No more singing, participation or just chef.  We really noticed on the Bliss.   You used to not be able to hear yourself in there.  I even mentioned it one of waiters. "Can you here that?" the answer was "What sir?" Exactly my point. It was dead quiet in a restaurant filled with chefs and diners. It is just our last few visits, or has anyone else noticed it? BTW the food is still as good as it ever was. Although, people go for the show too.   

We were on Escape in November last year and Teppanyaki seemed just as normal as usual.  It's one of our usual go-to's for dinner with SDP.

I don't recall the onion volcano ever being done though because of fire hazard potential.

28 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Teppanyaki always comes down to your chef.  Some are over the top while others reserved and just cook.  Its the luck of the draw.

That's what I thought on the Dawn. But when we were on the Bliss with a bunch of tables going at the same time, and no singing at any table, we began to whether it was a change. 

34 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

We were on Escape in November last year and Teppanyaki seemed just as normal as usual.  It's one of our usual go-to's for dinner with SDP.

I don't recall the onion volcano ever being done though because of fire hazard potential.

They never lit a fire. They just built the volcano and poured the oil in so it would smoke. 

1 hour ago, CruisinHarvey said:

Has anyone else noticed changes to the show in Teppanyaki. We were on the Dawn in September, and my DW and I thought parts of the show were missing. We just chalked it up to being a smaller ship, and wasn't nearly as fun in that small venue. Well, just off the Bliss November 3rd. Same show. Once the knives and eggs are spun around,  and rice started cooking, done.  No more making a beating heart out of it, no more breaking the heart. No more onion volcano. No more singing, participation or just chef.  We really noticed on the Bliss.   You used to not be able to hear yourself in there.  I even mentioned it one of waiters. "Can you here that?" the answer was "What sir?" Exactly my point. It was dead quiet in a restaurant filled with chefs and diners. It is just our last few visits, or has anyone else noticed it? BTW the food is still as good as it ever was. Although, people go for the show too.   

What would the size of a ship have  to do with the Teppanyaki performance???

13 minutes ago, jpcdds6 said:

What would the size of a ship have  to do with the Teppanyaki performance???

There are only 4 tables on the smaller ships. So you never have more than 2 tables going at one time. You can't tell if it's just the current 2 chefs, because sometimes they kind of work together, or an overall change.  

In Jan 2017 we went to Teppanyaki twice on the Dawn. The first time we had a fabulos chef! He was funny engaging and a darn great cook. The Second time near the end of the cruise we had the younger chef and while he tried, there was no comparison to the other chef.

• Like 1

I also noticed a change and maybe it is due to the chef. 

When i was on the breakaway last year, i had amazing time. When it went again on the Escape, it seemed kind dull and boring. the chef did not do that much compare to the other ship

I was on your Bliss cruise. It was my first NCL cruise and first time to Teppenyaki. It was as good as any hibachi grill I have been to. He even made me extra garlic butter to pour on my fillet. He sang "rice rice baby" as he formed a heart out of the rice. Youtube has a vlog posting from a passenger that was on our cruise. There is one from everday, and shows them at Teppenyaki.  Also does anybody know what type of greens/lettuce is in the salad. I wondered what the bright green stuff was. It was good.

• Like 1

(in reference to 2+2's post #14)

Oh, I think you mean Anh Minh's vlog! She's terrific and I just finished watching her wonderful series of videos about her family's trip on Bliss!

They're all great, but this is the one featuring Teppanyaki. They definitely got an entertaining chef! The Teppanyaki part starts around 27:20.

https://youtu.be/r8TfEQod1gs

Edited by CincyJen

I think the show depends on the chefs as much as anything. WE have never been overly impressed and have probably done it 6 or so times. We have never had an onion volcano nor any singing.

mechE31: I am surprised you were allowed to order off the kids menu a sometime, normally they do charge full price for kids as well because of limited seating and the show being part of the meal At least that has always been my understanding. The other specialty dining rooms allow kids to order off the kids menu. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, javelina03 said:

Didn't notice any changes last week on the Breakaway.

We did see a competitive lady diving for the small piece of food they were tossing at her. One minute she was sitting upright, the next moment she was on the floor! Was that part of the show?

3 minutes ago, ESCARGO said:

We did see a competitive lady diving for the small piece of food they were tossing at her. One minute she was sitting upright, the next moment she was on the floor! Was that part of the show?

It seems like she should have gotten at least some of the additional tips.

A few questions about Teppanyaki that maybe you guys can help with.. 

1) Can you request the onion volcano? My mother has been talking about it non stop for months she is so excited!

2) I have heard that having a Vegetarian at the table can take away from some of the showy parts (I guess due to keeping things separate) but I really don't want to impact my family's show. Has anyone had any experience with a Vegetarian at the table? 

Thank you! 

15 minutes ago, emilyreid09 said:

A few questions about Teppanyaki that maybe you guys can help with.. 

1) Can you request the onion volcano? My mother has been talking about it non stop for months she is so excited!

2) I have heard that having a Vegetarian at the table can take away from some of the showy parts (I guess due to keeping things separate) but I really don't want to impact my family's show. Has anyone had any experience with a Vegetarian at the table? 

Thank you! 

I would quietly ask the Hostess when she seat you if the Chef can do the onion volcano, because if you ask the Chef at the table, you might be putting him in a difficult situation, especially if he wasn't taught to do it.

Vegetarian meals don't interfere with any of the show.

• Like 1