To cruise or not to cruise,that is the question

lenquixote66

9 hours ago, mom says said:

When it comes to having valuable and necessary documents, prescription medications, electronics, and perhaps jewellery ( and who knows what other items that you would be upset to lose), I would think it the height of folly to check ALL of your bags. Sometimes you need to look past what you usually use. The OP needs to be essentially hands free, but unless he has other physical frailties, he could use a light backpack or small duffle or gym style bag that could be slung over his shoulder or worn cross body.

I understand that, but sometimes one has to do what one has to do. If we had to check both carry-ons for some reason we'd have another bag similar to what you suggest for those things we didn't want to chance.

I cruised with RCL about 4 weeks post-op (carpal tunnel surgery) and had little to no use of my dominant hand.  I was worried about all the same things!   But I will say that both the crew and the other passengers were enormously helpful.   You may wish to wear either a soft cast or a some bandages/wrap to make it obvious to others that you might need help occasionally.

But lots of very kind people helped me with everything food related... balancing trays, and scooping food at the buffet, or helped with drinks, anything where I would have needed 2 hands.  It wasn’t a super active cruise for me, but it was a fun peaceful cruise.

Wishing you speedy healing!

OP - Forget the carry-on. Go buy a small back pack, and use that most of what is in your carry on can probably be safely checked and the rest will easily go in a book bag. This will free up both hands for you and should be pretty easy.

As far as the cast, the MD is not going to tell you not to cruise, the suggestion will be to keep it dry. Some OTC pain meds and you should be good to go. Don't over think it.

• Like 1

I am cruising if the cast is removed Nov.28.If the cast is not removed on the scheduled date I will cancel.There is no way I can shower in a non accessible cabin.In addition I do not want to be dependent on my wife.It is not fair to her.

Edited by lenquixote66

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am cruising if the cast is removed Nov.28.If the cast is not removed on the scheduled date I will cancel.There is no way I can shower in a non accessible cabin.In addition I do not want to be dependent on my wife.It is not fair to her.

I think that is a wise decision.

Glad you have a decision, but do use the 2 tips of:

- a lightweight backpack for the absolute essentials to not lose and keep with you (even your wife should consider this to have her hands free to help you),  and

- do wear a bandage or use a sling to make it obvious that you are injured or healing. A sling may throw off your balance a bit more, but it is obvious.