To cruise or not to cruise,that is the question

lenquixote66

I fractured the wrist of my dominant hand 5 weeks ago.My cast is expected to be off on November 28 and my cruise Dec.1.I am still in great pain and my hand is swollen.I will not be able to use my hand to hold my carry or do anything else with the hand.

Opinions will be appreciated.

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I fractured the wrist of my dominant hand 5 weeks ago.My cast is expected to be off on November 28 and my cruise Dec.1.I am still in great pain and my hand is swollen.I will not be able to use my hand to hold my carry or do anything else with the hand.

And the answer is...... to cruise!

I can only say that I went tent camping for 2 weeks with a broken wrist.  Really wanted the vacation, so I went.

For me, I'd go.  You can get in lots of therapy in the pool for your wrist, or just protect it as much as possible.  Your call.

Edited by Shmoo here

Wrist fractures are a real bummer to come back from. You have my sympathy. Of course you won't know how well it's healed until the cast comes off and they x-ray it again,  but hopefully your Orthopedist will give you the go ahead for the cruise.  Along with post cast exercises and instructions. I wouldn't cancel until you've seen him/her. You may find significant improvement over the next 2 weeks. You might want to ask if you could wear a brace to protect it on shore excursions or other times when you are worried about being jostled.

Are you cruising by yourself, or is there someone going with you who can assist with your carry on luggage (assuming you can't carry it on your non dominant side)? 

• Like 1

Hi

There are a few things I would point out. 

First, if your doctor says you shouldn't travel, then that sort of takes care of that. I don't think that will be the case, though.

It's really about how you feel. Right now, your hand hurts, it's swollen, etc... Don't forget, you still have two weeks of healing before your cast comes off. You might feel a lot better (compared to today) in two weeks.

Also, you have been managing with this injury up to now. I assume you have had some help. Are you going to be travelling alone, or are you still going to have some help. If you are going to be all alone, then yes, it will be hard. Maybe if that's the case, don't go.  If not, then what's the problem? Are you saying, that you won't have as good a time because of this injury. Of course you won't, but you will be on a cruise. 😀 That beats being at home and feeling bad. I remember travelling alone to a beautiful resort and having a really bad injury while there. Still, while licking my wounds and feeling sorry for myself, I realized that this was a pretty nice place to be convalescing. Not the vacation I hoped, but it was a vacation.

You will get better and have many more pain free cruises. 

hope this helps

Do you have to fly to get to the port?  I think you'll be fine once you're on the ship.  It's what's involved in getting to and on the ship that I think will be the problem.

Roz

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Ouch!

As someone already asked, do you have travel insurance so that is a no-cost (or very low cost) option to cancel if needed?

And of course, you do need your physician's okay if you do go, etc.

Are you traveling with someone else who can help you the *entire* way?

A few years ago, I traveled to a cruise with a horribly painful torn rotator cuff.  (I couldn't previously imagine such pain even if I was only sitting or lying totally still... and to try moving... Yikes!!)

We had insurance, and I certainly could have gotten a refund for that.

But I wanted the cruise!

I was traveling the entire time with DH, so he had to do the heavy lifting, figuratively as well as literally.

He had to help me dress, but he had to do that at home, too.  (Of course, at home, I didn't need to "dress" for meals and activities all day, so it was a bit different...)

I went on a few excursions, but obviously, I couldn't swim or "do" much, but DH certainly did.

I tried to keep my hand in a pocket, to help support my upper arm and shoulder.

I was very glad I went (and I'm a total wimp with respect to pain).

As mentioned, recuperating on a ship... can't beat it!

Note:  I also had pain meds that were just sufficient so I wasn't crying the entire time.

I had the properly labeled Rx bottles, a copy of the script, and a signed letter from my physician. 

(Of course, no one ever asked for any such documentation, but that can depend upon the destination.  And it's much better to have it.  Sort of like carrying an umbrella, I tend to think; then it doesn't rain.)

One trick was trying always to position DH on my "bad" side, so others wouldn't bump into that arm/shoulder, which would have been, well, horrible.

Good luck!

GC

• Like 1

You might also want to post on the Disabled Cruise Travel sub-forum, in case there are any handy hints.

I didn't think to do that, and have no idea if it would have helped.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

It was my dominant arm also, so I saw the hair salon a few extra times...

(I might have needed that help no matter which arm, come to think about it.)

DH was able to cut up my food as needed, but I'm sure someone on the waitstaff could help with that if needed.

One thing I remember in thinking back.  I felt much less "stable" whenever there was noticeable ship movement.  So I tried to stay near railings/etc., that were on the "other side" so that I didn't instinctively grab with my bad arm (and regret it badly).

And I asked DH to stay near me whenever I used the shower or tub, especially given any ship motion.  Better safe than sorry.

I guess you should decide if you are able to be reasonably comfortable (with or without meds), or if you'd spend the *entire* time "focused on pain".  If the latter, I probably wouldn't do it IF the cost meant forgoing a "replacement" cruise.  I was in considerable pain much of the time (like, every time I moved!), but I was VERY glad I was on that ship.  Never regretted it.

However, thinking about it, a bad wrist/hand would probably be more troublesome than a bad arm.  I still had use of my hand, even if it's range of motion was quite restricted by the very restricted arm movement.

GC

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies,they are most appreciated.I am traveling with my wife but we are seniors and there is a limit to what she can carry.

I use a cane,normally with my right hand.I have been doing so with my left hand but cannot carry anything.

We do have insurance. 

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks for the replies,they are most appreciated.I am traveling with my wife but we are seniors and there is a limit to what she can carry.

I use a cane,normally with my right hand.I have been doing so with my left hand but cannot carry anything.

We do have insurance. 

That makes it even more difficult for you, unfortunately.

If you decide to go, I'd suggest just planning to spend a bit extra in a few places to get some extra help, and mostly, it's just tips anyway.

For example, why not get a wheelchair in the airport.  That will be much easier for you, and you can keep one of the carry-ons on your lap.  Often the pusher will also take one of the rolling cases.  (I sometimes need a wheelchair in airports with very long walkways, etc.)  That leaves less for your wife to lug around.  That person can also help with the luggage at security screening.  (They do this stuff all day, of course.)

Use a porter to help both of you get your luggage from the carousel to the taxi.

Try to take taxi's instead of buses (if buses are what you usually take), just to make it all easier on both of you.

You might do the same thing to board the ship, and then get off again.  Try to "let" others help as much as possible, when there is such help available.  If not at ports, at least when you have carry-ons to deal with at the beginning and end of the cruise.

Since you've got insurance, that also does take some pressure off, in advance and during the trip.  It was nice in our case to know that we *could* get our money back if that's what I/we preferred.  (Also, just in case something gets worse, you'd be covered with the expenses of getting home, plus any days remaining.  Again, that just kept the pressure off about how it would go, etc.)

Also ask your doctor if there is anything else to consider.  If your main cast is off, is there something lighter weight perhaps with Velcro, that will help you protect it AND let others know there is an "injured hand" in there, so they take care as well?

I hope you are able to go and have a great time!

GC

12 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The other question is your wife willing to do what is necessary to help you out and is she able to? 

No airplane.My wife is driving 5 hours to the cruise port.I last drove in 2003 due to medical issues.

Yes and Yes but she cannot carry two carry ons

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No airplane.My wife is driving 5 hours to the cruise port.I last drove in 2003 due to medical issues.

Yes and Yes but she cannot carry two carry ons

It can be checked with the rest of the bags giving you one less thing to carry. We always check one of the carryons.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We do have insurance. 

Hi There

I was trying to encourage you to go with my last post, if possible. One more thought...you could also rent a mobility scooter. It could make things somewhat easier onboard. Maybe not so much at the port of calls. It depends on what you wanted to do and which ports.

good luck, either way

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was not aware of that,thank you

You could actually check both of them if you wanted. We like to keep one with us because it has our meds and important docs in them but if we had to we would check it at the pier.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

You could actually check both of them if you wanted. We like to keep one with us because it has our meds and important docs in them but if we had to we would check it at the pier.

When it comes to having valuable and necessary documents, prescription medications, electronics, and perhaps jewellery ( and who knows what other items that you would be upset to lose), I would think it the height of folly to check ALL of your bags. Sometimes you need to look past what you usually use. The OP needs to be essentially hands free, but unless he has other physical frailties, he could use a light backpack or small duffle or gym style bag that could be slung over his shoulder or worn cross body.

Could you purchase a spinner carry on? There is very little carrying with those. If your wife could manage lifting out of car and lifting onto security machines, then you could pretty much roll them around the rest of the way. You could even lift them with your other hand. I definitely wouldn’t cancel unless the doctor tells you to.

I’m a solo senior traveler, and I thank whoever invented spinner wheels. 

Edited by crzndeb

My husband broke the first two fingers on his dominant hand and had it splinted just one week before we left for a 14 day Vietnam coastal cruise. We both took smallish backpacks for carry-on and one full size checked suitcase each, and we managed just fine. I took advantage of help whenever possible with the luggage, and he still had one good arm, so it wasn't difficult at all. I did think ahead about all the possible problems we would encounter so I had a strategy ready for them. And, he did need extra painkillers on the flights because of the pressure changes, but you're driving so that's not an issue. In retrospect I think the R&R was very good for him and the cruise kept him entertained while he was healing. It was mostly a history and culture tour, not a beach vacation, so he didn't miss out on anything, really (one day I went snorkeling without him because there was a ladder back into the boat). We had our meals prepared, our room cleaned every day, all those wonderful cruise luxuries: it really saved me from a lot extra work if we'd stayed home, actually, and I could just focus on making sure he was doing ok. And do all those things that were difficult, from buttoning shirts to filling out paperwork to cutting his steak.

I agree with GeezerCouple's advice to have your wife on that side for protection from bumping by others.

p.s. I once traveled alone to Florida to visit my parents at Christmas on crutches with a broken foot. I found that people were very helpful and kind if I asked for help, so don't be shy about that.

Edited by MJC