Carnival Valor or Fantasy

cruiserll

Hello -

We just finished our family cruise on the Dream and loved it and we are ready to book another one for fall of next year.  We need to sail from New Orleans or Miami so we can drive to port and because of dates it appears our only options are the Valor or the Fantasy.  What opinions do you all have on these two ships?  I have read some good reviews and bad reviews on both. 

Thank you!

Hi there. Did you mean New Orleans or Mobile (Fantasy's home port)? Valor is newer and larger, which to me is a slight advantage; however that would not even come close to outweighing the cost per person/per day and the driving distance/hassle.  Those factors to me are far more important in planning the whole package of a vacation.  Carnival strives to provide a fairly consistent passenger experience across the whole line and so you'll find similar enough amenities to choose the more convenient and affordable option.

If New Orleans is just as easy to reach and the price is very close, I would choose Valor, but a bargain on Fantasy would be fine with us as well.  You'll really need to compare the ships for yourself.  Many people think the Fantasy class is a bunch of old clunkers (obviously not me), but there's no point in booking something that looks disappointing from the outset and then waiting for your low expectations to be fulfilled. :)  There are great photos on the main Cruise Critic page of all spaces on both ships.

If you are balcony people, you will need to go with Valor, because Fantasy's only balcony rooms are suites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Valor is a no brainer... The Valor will be a closer experience to the experience you had on the Dream. The Fantasy is literally the oldest ship in Carnivals fleet. Dont get me wrong... I will have fun on any of Carnival ships. Infact, I will be sailing the Fantasy in a few weeks. However, I would choose the Valor over the Fantasy if price, itinerary, and travel doesnt play a factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiserll said:

Yes everyone sorry...I meant Mobile. 🙂

Thank you!  There is a significant price difference and so I'm trying to keep an open mind about both. Thanks for talking through it with me. 

You will have fun on the Fantasy as long as you adjust your expectations. The fantasy doesnt have all the bells and whistles as the dream but you should still have fun regardless. I know I will come December.

1 hour ago, cruiserll said:

On the Dream the pools and slide were open during port days. Do you know if that is the same for Valor and Fantasy?

Yes, pools and slides are normally open during port days. However, you are more likely to see a pool(s) and/or hot tub(s) closed for maintenance or cleaning on a port day. 

I really don't feel the Fantasy class owes anyone all these apologies.  When this class was built, less than 30 years ago, it literally revolutionized the cruise industry. The crazy décor was more vibrant, daring, and unique than anything ever seen before. The design of the ship packed an enormous amount of utility into passenger areas designed for fun.

We went on the Sensation (3rd oldest Fantasy-class ship) last January because of a bargain of almost unimaginable proportions. This after having been on the Triumph out of New Orleans, which was larger but in about the same dated but functional condition.  I would happily try all the Fantasy class ships if time and funds allowed!  For that matter I would try any Carnival ship if the logistics work out. Either way, enjoy your choice.

Our first two cruises were on the Destiny class.  The next few were on the Conquest Class.  We tried the Dream and thought it was too big.  We then went back to the Conquest Class.  In 2017 we booked the Horizon for 2019 and realized we were going to just shy of becoming Platinum so we booked a five day on the Paradise to Cuba.  After cruising on the larger, newer ships we said we'd never go back to that class again.  

In your case where you've only cruised once on the larger ship, and it's cheaper, I'd say give the smaller ship a try.  You sound like you probably will continue cruising so it's worth it to compare for your future bookings.

54 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Our first two cruises were on the Destiny class.  The next few were on the Conquest Class.  We tried the Dream and thought it was too big.  We then went back to the Conquest Class.  In 2017 we booked the Horizon for 2019 and realized we were going to just shy of becoming Platinum so we booked a five day on the Paradise to Cuba.  After cruising on the larger, newer ships we said we'd never go back to that class again.  

In your case where you've only cruised once on the larger ship, and it's cheaper, I'd say give the smaller ship a try.  You sound like you probably will continue cruising so it's worth it to compare for your future bookings.

I am a little confused by your post. You said you would never cruise on the larger, newer ships again, but you also said you have a cruise booked on Horizon, which is Carnival’s biggest ship (along with Vista). Not really a big deal, I just can’t tell which size ship you prefer. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am a little confused by your post. You said you would never cruise on the larger, newer ships again, but you also said you have a cruise booked on Horizon, which is Carnival’s biggest ship (along with Vista). Not really a big deal, I just can’t tell which size ship you prefer. 

We always cruise with my brother and sister in law.  They suggested trying the Horizon just to see all of the newer things that are on her.  To answer your question, we prefer the Conquest Class.

Valor has Dive-In movies, steakhouse, a sports bar and Red Frog Pub that Fantasy does not have.

Fantasy has Waterworks water park while Valor only has one slide.

We were on Fantasy earlier this month, and Valor will be our next cruise. Both will be fun!

• 2 months later...

Just booked our second cruise aboard the Fantasy (sailing March 14th) yesterday! If you are traveling with kids, especially teenagers, you may want to go with the larger ship since there be more kids on board and more to do. If all adults, I say give the Fantasy a try and see if you like it. I personally LOVE the smaller older Fantasy class ships and actually prefer them to Carnival's larger ships. I've sailed on the Elation, Paradise, Inspiration and Fantasy and thought they were all wonderful. Mind you I've only sailed on the Glory and found the ship to be crammed with too many people and said never again to Carnival's larger ships. Too many other cruise lines do larger ships better imho...

You can't beat a short 4-5 night getaway on one of the Fantasy class ships!

• Like 1

Valor for me. I won't set foot on the fantasy because they cut the comedy club in half and they don't have an alchemy bar. Additionally Valor has more food options, the red frog pub, sports bar, dive-in movies. It's not even close. And then New Orleans > Mobile.

18 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Valor for me. I won't set foot on the fantasy because they cut the comedy club in half and they don't have an alchemy bar. Additionally Valor has more food options, the red frog pub, sports bar, dive-in movies. It's not even close. And then New Orleans > Mobile.

I leave on the Valor in 11 days - first cruise and can't wait. I'm afraid to ask ...will you be sailing on the Vista on the 23rd?

32 minutes ago, pamici said:

I leave on the Valor in 11 days - first cruise and can't wait. I'm afraid to ask ...will you be sailing on the Vista on the 23rd?

Oh right...from the roll call. My vacation time magically got approved on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

For me, Fantasy class ships are good for an additional, quick, inexpensive and easy getaway, but they wouldn’t be my choice if I’m not planning other vacations for the year.

Edited by Tapi

19 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

On some of the Fantasy Class ships, I believe there is an Alchemy Bar.   It may be just a converted old bar but with the same features and drink concoctions.

As for the food options and pubs?   Well, for us, the pubs with food options are not our first choice for food, only for drinks.   If we want food we go to a food venue, with drink in hand!:classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, jwjax said:

On some of the Fantasy Class ships, I believe there is an Alchemy Bar.   It may be just a converted old bar but with the same features and drink concoctions.

As for the food options and pubs?   Well, for us, the pubs with food options are not our first choice for food, only for drinks.   If we want food we go to a food venue, with drink in hand!:classic_biggrin:

There is on some. But not the Fantasy itself..which is what we're talking about here. Now the Fascination for instance has a alchemy right outside of the comedy club...And it still has the original comedy club not the split in half version the Fantasy has. I would consider cruising on Fascination...not Fantasy though. 

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

There is on some. But not the Fantasy itself..which is what we're talking about here. Now the Fascination for instance has a alchemy right outside of the comedy club...And it still has the original comedy club not the split in half version the Fantasy has. I would consider cruising on Fascination...not Fantasy though. 

Oops...sorry, I thought this was about Fantasy Class ships.  Never been on the Fantasy though.   The ones I have sailed on, have all had a Bar right outside of the aft theater/comedy club, and lately IIRC have all been converted to an Alchemy Bar?   

Granted, I have not sailed on "all" of the Fantasy class ship though!:classic_smile:

46 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Oh right...from the roll call. My vacation time magically got approved on Tuesday. 

Great news! Sorry - I'm returning on the 23rd, got confused. OK, I will now stop hijacking the thread!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jwjax said:

Oops...sorry, I thought this was about Fantasy Class ships.  Never been on the Fantasy though.   The ones I have sailed on, have all had a Bar right outside of the aft theater/comedy club, and lately IIRC have all been converted to an Alchemy Bar?   

Granted, I have not sailed on "all" of the Fantasy class ship though!:classic_smile:

It looks like the tion's except for Elation have it and the others don't. Sensation, Fascination, and Inspiration have it. Fantasy, Ecstasy, Paradise, Elation don't.

• Like 1