Another "formal/informal" question ....

Vic The Parrot

I'm aware of the dress codes for each evening, but thought I'd ask anyway.

For my upcoming voyage, I won't be bringing a tux or suit. A couple of sportcoats, some dress trousers, etc. This will be out of neccessity, I won't have any choice due to airline regulations (I'm trying to pack veeeeery light for a change .... :D )

So, here it goes .... and no tomatoes or spears

Will a nice sportcoat and dress trousers be alright for a formal night?

And a tie, of course .... maybe French cuffed shirt

I could swear I've seen guys doing that on many formal nights, nixing the suit and tux and going for that semi-formal elegant look.

All input will be appreciated.

(And if you're snarky, I'll sic my rabbit on you ...)

:rolleyes:

For my upcoming voyage, I won't be bringing a tux or suit. A couple of sportcoats, some dress trousers, etc. This will be out of neccessity, I won't have any choice due to airline regulations (I'm trying to pack veeeeery light for a change .... :D )

I could swear I've seen guys doing that on many formal nights, nixing the suit and tux and going for that semi-formal elegant look.

Vic,

Hey, why take along a 'couple' of sportcoats? You certainly won't need more than one. Why not substitute one sportcoat and one pair trousers with a tux? No difference in weight and you are still covered for the foral AND informal evenings.

Airline regulations? In the US are you not allowed two pieces of baggage? Max weight per bag is 50 lbs. That give you more than enough space to pack a tux... plus one white tropical dinner jacket, a sportcoat, several pairs of trousers, shorts, socks, ties, swimwear, t shirts etc etc.

The sportcoat with nice tie, shirt etc is indeed suitble for an informal night but on a formal night it is not what I would call 'elegant'.

So, if you have a weight problem... leave the rabbit at home!:p

Vic, here we go with the can of worms again.

No matter what you've seen elsewhere, a nice sportcoat and dress trousers is not "formal" wear. I recently posted on another thread what my DH did on a previous cruise, in lieu of taking his tux. He took a dark blue suit, white dress shirt and dark tie for formal nite. He then wore the blue jacket with gray slacks and a colored shirt for informal night. The blue suit pants and gray slacks did double duty with polo or Aloha type shirts for casual nights.

On other cruises, when we fly to the port, he wears his navy blazer with khakis and a casual shirt on the plane and takes his tux for formal night. The blazer is used for informal night or comes in handy even on casual night when the restaurant or theater is too cold.

Or, rent the formal wear from the shipboard company.

It doesn't have to be complicated.

In my cruise past, I have only seen one gentleman in a sport coat on formal night who looked "just right". He was in his late 80's, quite dapper. He had on a blue blazer, white slacks, white shirt and white bow tie. He was adorable but it's not a look everyone can carry off.

Please don't sic the rabbit on me.

Very best,

Vic,

I note that you sailed with Royal Viking Line in 1989 and 1990. Would you have dared to suggest something casual or informal on a formal night on board one of the RVL ships? :eek:

I also see that you cruised with Home Lines. It's OK... I miss them too.;)

I remember the first time I cruised in the OCEANIC and then DORIC.... 1979.... at the time I didn't own a tux but wore a very nice business suit on formal night. I was completely and utterly underdressed for the occassion!

Stephen

Of course it's ok. We all recognize that it's your vacation and you can do whatever you want.

Go ahead and sic your rabbit. I love rabbit stew.

Of course it's ok. We all recognize that it's your vacation and you can do whatever you want.

Go ahead and sic your rabbit. I love rabbit stew.

Vic is hiding behind that rabbit! What he ain't explaining is the fact that the cruise he wants to dess informally on is the maiden voyage of the newest ship in the fleet!!!!!!! Just think what will happen if Vic is invited to dine in First Class and there is no 'Unsinkable' Molly Brown on board to loan him a tux? He could miss the opportunity to dine with Rose DeWitt -Brucater!!!! ( She is going to be aboard. :rolleyes: )

Stephen

Vic, you need a dark suit at the very least, IMO. I agree with Stephen that you don't need two sportcoats. Make one your suit coat and it's all the same. Better yet, go with the suggestion to rent a tux for this fabulous cruise.

er, Vic---you're sailing from NYC. You live across the street in NJ. What airplane? The Jefferson Airplane and it's White Rabbit? :D

You need to practice, practice, practice packing everything you'll need for the Voyage of the Spammed. You'll need the tux then!

No better time to start than now. :p

Several Sprt Jackets?:confused: My DH will take his TUX with changes of accessories & only one Sport Jacket & several pairs of Dress Pants for our upcoming 25 day cruise...

When we fly he always wears his Sport Jacket instead of packing it..If you don't own a TUX or want to rent one, then a dark suit with several ties & one Sport Jacket would be fine..

Have a ball on your cruise..

Oooops ....

No ..no .. no .. no!

I should have mentioned that this is for a quickie! It's a 7-dayer, not the Noordam maiden voyage.

For the Noordam, I'll have everything I need since I can walk to the dock if I wanted to! :D

But figured for a 7 day, just take half.

And I'll look into renting on board. (Even tho I had a bad experience with that ...)

Sorry if I raised a few eyebrows, it never was my intention.

Oooops ....

No ..no .. no .. no!

I should have mentioned that this is for a quickie! It's a 7-dayer, not the Noordam maiden voyage.

For the Noordam, I'll have everything I need since I can walk to the dock if I wanted to! :D

But figured for a 7 day, just take half.

And I'll look into renting on board. (Even tho I had a bad experience with that ...)

Sorry if I raised a few eyebrows, it never was my intention.

Hi Vic,

Seven day voyage...... two formal... one informal... the tux and one sportjacket.... exactly the same for a ten day cruise except that it will be probaly three formal and perhaps one extra informal.

Try doing a transatlantic in the QE2. 6 nights... four formal and two informal. You simply are not allowed in the restaurant without a jacket.

Anyhow, glad you will be all pressed for the maiden voyage of NOORDAM. It will be something special. Well, we will all be there for a start. ;)

Stephen

[quote

Try doing a transatlantic in the QE2. 6 nights... four formal and two informal. You simply are not allowed in the restaurant without a jacket.

Stephen

if they can turn you away on the qe2 for not following the dress code then why can they do that on hal ---but thats another thread

Vic,

Having just come off the Oosterdam I'll give my impression of this issue. Firstly, about 40% of the men were dressed in Tuxedos; most of the remaining 60% were in dark suits, with a smattering in sports coat and slacks. A small number (small enough to be counted on one's fingers) were visible not at all properly dressed.

In short, at least on the Oosterdam's Jan 7th cruise, you'll stand out in slacks and sport jacket rather than full suit or tux. Since you own a Tux, you really should take it. Pack it and wear your informal night jacket in transit from NJ to San Diego. That shouldn't take any more room/weight than packing a couple of sport jackets.

:)

Could you "get away" with a dark jacket and slacks with white shirt and tie on Formal Night? Yes, you could ... you'd be within the Line's Dress Code. However, it just doesn't seem like the "Vic" I've come to know over these past couple of years. :)

I had not intended to bring my Tux with me to NYC for the Noordam Cruise. I had intended to just bring my best black suit and clericals. However, after having just done that on the Oosterdam this past week I've decided that it won't be enough. I will NEED the Tux. So ... I'll be packing the Tux and probably my black suit. :) Yes, I'll have full bags. But it's worth it. I'll just have to tip more porters. :)

Archived