Salmon fish chowder

dogo88

On our Alaskan cruise in May on the Zaandam they had the Salmon Fish Chowder one day in the Crow's nest while passing by the glacier. The chowder was awesome. So we asked for the recipe at the front deck and they sent it to our rooms. I looked it over when it arrived and seemed straightforward enough, though all measurements were metric but not sized for a group like past recipes. 

So decided to make it this week and ran into a sort of a roadblock. One of the ingredients is Sherry peppers 50 ml. Which is about 1 1/2 oz. Did some Googling and found a Sherry Pepper sauce on Amazon (who has almost everything). And while I could send HAL an email asking them I figured the long time posters may have made this chowder before and know the answer. 

For those that do not have the recipe I've enclosed it here:

image.thumb.png.f20ddf0e8b1b5da251deb1f78cf4cf1b.png

Dan

If you're looking at the Outerbridge's Sherry Pepper Sauce, then that is what they use.  The term most commonly used is "sherry peppers", but should really be "peppered sherry".  It was used in the days of sail to cover the rancid taste of spoiled rations.  It is sherry with hot peppers in it.  It is from Bermuda.

You could try to mix in some dry sherry with a dash of cayenne powder, or a few shakes of red pepper flakes to taste. May have been on the same May Zaandam cruise - agree, the chowder was awesome. Thanks for the reminder.

No knowledge of any HAL recipes, but HAL surely does do an excellent job of providing appropriately themed soups (i.e. Dutch Pea Soup) and pastries (i.e. Panama Rolls) when we are sailing in regions that are so supportive of such an amenity. 

Thanks so much for posting this, and clarifying "sherry peppers" We had this on the Zaandam too in September and it was ridiculously delicious. Perfect cool weather meal with hot, fresh crusty sourdough. Printed now and ready for my winter arsenal! KK-We also did enjoy the pea soup on Glacier Bay day in the crows nest, so it does still exist 🙂

Edited by Crusinsusan2
Addition of information

I'll be ordering the sauce from Amazon tonight. Have to remember the sherry and cayenne pepper if I can't get it. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Never heard of Outerbridge's Sherry peppers before but found an interesting story on it's history. Here's a link if anyone is interested and it's from 1990:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-01-18/food/fo-27_1_sherry-peppers-sauce

On our cruise which I believe was the first of the season from Seattle (May 7th)  I found the Salmon Chowder in the Crow's nest only once on one of the initial glacier runs, and the Pea soup was on Promenade deck when we did the larger one. Can't remember the names of the glaciers we went to because there was a change of itinerary due to too much floating ice. But do remember the soups! Had a couple of bowls of each. The pea soup was more like pea glue it was soo thick and rich. But the Salmon Chowder was incredibly delicious. I'm sure I won't do it justice but have to try. And if it's not as good then I get to do the cruise again. DW said she would go again in a second. 

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If you're looking at the Outerbridge's Sherry Pepper Sauce, then that is what they use.  The term most commonly used is "sherry peppers", but should really be "peppered sherry".  It was used in the days of sail to cover the rancid taste of spoiled rations.  It is sherry with hot peppers in it.  It is from Bermuda.

Oh My!  Not sure we could ever taste that chowder without wondering, "what are they covering up!"   ROFL.

Hank

1 hour ago, Daisyloo said:

Curious.  What is a Panama Bun?

A Panam bun is a pastry that is filled with both custard and mandarin oranges.  If you don't know what to look for, they can be overlooked amongst the pastries in the Lido Market on Panama Canal day.  They are served later during the day at various locations around the ship.

Here is what to look for:

image.png.592c5c760b5e1001b079370a00a4b7f6.png

Edited by Crew News

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

A Panam bun is a pastry that is filled with both custard and mandarin oranges.  If you don't know what to look for, they can be overlooked amongst the pastries in the Lido Market on Panama Canal day.  They are served later during the day at various locations around the ship.

Here is what to look for:

image.png.592c5c760b5e1001b079370a00a4b7f6.png

I appreciate seeing your photo.  They appear different from what I recall.  I remember them being more like one of HAL's small danish pastries with the mandarin orange/custard filling in its center.  Different chefs make them differently than others?

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate seeing your photo.  They appear different from what I recall.  I remember them being more like one of HAL's small danish pastries with the mandarin orange/custard filling in its center.  Different chefs make them differently than others?

Indeed the recipe is the same but the shaping of the buns may vary.  I have seen smaller versions on other Panama Canal cruises.

For people that have a shellfish allergy (shrimp, crab or lobster), be aware that HAL's fish stock may have been made from shellfish.  I found out the hard way on a HAL transatlantic and had a serious reaction after eating a fish soup.