Harmony & Me Live - Eastern 11/25 to 12/2

h20skibum

4 hours ago, GigiK said:

Also, do you know if the new App better than the old and did they say they were putting the new app on Harmony in January? Right now our reservation shows up on the app, but it says not available on our ship (Harmony!)

I don’t know if the new one is better than the old.  I think as they add it to new ships, they still have bugs to work out.  We will be trying out the new app on our next cruise that leaves in 15 days.

Someone was posting that the new app was implemented on Harmony the week after our sailing, and the app now lists Harmony as a supported ship.

Have a good time, and hope your cruise is problem free.

Just got off the Harmony last week (great cruise, but any cruise is a great cruise, to me) and the new app was implemented (and, no, luckily unlike h20skibum, we did not have any reservation/check-in, etc. issues, although just in case I took a hard copy of the reservation confirmations!)

We arrived later than we wanted, arriving to port at 12:15, and the line to go through security at the port just to go into check-in was loooooong. So, my word of advise there is get there early (11-11:30) or later....

On 12/14/2018 at 5:43 AM, h20skibum said:

Now we are late enough in the disembark process that the Customs mobile passport is working.  This is the first cruise that it has worked, because it is usually not running during self assist.  I am filling it out as I walk through the line and hit the submit button to get my receipt.  Just then, they say I can put it away, and they usher us through the checkpoint.

So happy you included the information about the mobile passport app - I had no idea! Just downloaded it, scanned my passport, and took my mugshot in preparation for my 1/6/19 Harmony cruise. One question for you: how do you determine the terminal where the ship will be located? Looked on my SetSail pass and tried to Google it, but I'm coming up empty. Help?!

Thanks again for all of the wonderful info you included in this review. Hope you're acclimated back to the PA cold; here in Harrisburg the wind has thankfully subsided, but when it's in the high 20s/low 30s it's still brisk!

The Harmony sails out of Terminal 18 from Port Everglades....

If you are driving in just take I-595 East, then follow signs. If flying it is very close to the airport and the cab will know where to go.  There is a parking lot next to it (you can drop your bags off first, then park).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rrmcdonald said:

Just got off the Harmony last week (great cruise, but any cruise is a great cruise, to me) and the new app was implemented 

Glad you were problem free.  So maybe you can add a little information about the function of the new app on Harmony, for those looking for information.

Do you know if there is still a hole in their system that lets you use iMessage on iPhones without buying VOOM?  Although we had the Internet package (one device), we could still iMessage back home on the phone that was not logged in to VOOM.

Also, did they implement the text feature for Harmony on the new app?  I read earlier that it was only implemented on Allure.

I had the internet package for one device, so my wife didn't have it while I was on, but we both have i phones.  With the new app SOME of the time (but not all of the time) those with iMessage who were not on the internet were able to send and receive texts (i.e., I could text my wife).  The internet guy at the desk said they were phasing that ability out....

I don't know if my texts were because of the new app or the old Royal iQ app, which I still had. Sorry.

I did text off the ship text, though (pictures were a little dicey; I got a message they weren't delivered but apparently the recipient saw them)

With the new app, though you can view your reservations, the daily planner (electronic Cruise Compass), ship deck plans, dining venues, entertainment, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMTtor said:

So happy you included the information about the mobile passport app - I had no idea! Just downloaded it, scanned my passport, and took my mugshot in preparation for my 1/6/19 Harmony cruise. One question for you: how do you determine the terminal where the ship will be located? Looked on my SetSail pass and tried to Google it, but I'm coming up empty. Help?!

Thanks again for all of the wonderful info you included in this review. Hope you're acclimated back to the PA cold; here in Harrisburg the wind has thankfully subsided, but when it's in the high 20s/low 30s it's still brisk!

We only have to put up with the cold for five more days, then we are off to Florida for a week stay before our next cruise.  I did get the snowblower out and prepped today, because I know I will need it when we get back.

As for the terminals, I use the CruiseSchedule Port Everglades app.  (I have attached a photo of what it looks like).  It is kind of handy, because it lists all the ships in port each day, and the number of passengers.  It gives a good idea how busy the port area will be.

Whenever you click on your ship, it then gives an option to display the terminal and departure time.  For your Jan 6 sailing, it shows 7 ships with a total of 21,700 passengers, so it looks like it will be a busy port day.  And yes, Harmony is going out of terminal 18.

Enjoy your cruise.

D230E743-6800-4E0B-8E56-3A261664D0D2.jpeg

Edited by h20skibum
  • Thanks 1

Question for those cruisers who have used the Internet packages: trying to determine which package to purchase ahead of the cruise to get the discount (since I haven't been on a RCI ship since Allure three years ago, and the package stuff has changed). If I bring a laptop as well as my smartphone, I'm assuming I can use both on a one-device package so long as I sign out of one before signing on with the other. Is that correct? I'm thinking I'll go halvsies with my cabin mate on a two-device package, so we get the bigger discount and both of us can then have a device signed on for the duration.

Also, the Cafe Select coffee card: I know it won't be accepted at the onboard Starbucks. If all 15 redemptions aren't used on the cruise, would one be able to use it on future cruises (as Princess does with its coffee cards)?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated!

24 minutes ago, JMTtor said:

If I bring a laptop as well as my smartphone, I'm assuming I can use both on a one-device package so long as I sign out of one before signing on with the other. Is that correct? 

Also, the Cafe Select coffee card: If all 15 redemptions aren't used on the cruise, would one be able to use it on future cruises (as Princess does with its coffee cards)?

Correct - Surf should be enough for most uses.

Some have reported this works but it may depend on the ship.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JMTtor said:

Question for those cruisers who have used the Internet packages: trying to determine which package to purchase ahead of the cruise to get the discount (since I haven't been on a RCI ship since Allure three years ago, and the package stuff has changed). If I bring a laptop as well as my smartphone, I'm assuming I can use both on a one-device package so long as I sign out of one before signing on with the other. Is that correct? I'm thinking I'll go halvsies with my cabin mate on a two-device package, so we get the bigger discount and both of us can then have a device signed on for the duration.

Also, the Cafe Select coffee card: I know it won't be accepted at the onboard Starbucks. If all 15 redemptions aren't used on the cruise, would one be able to use it on future cruises (as Princess does with its coffee cards)?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated!

No problem switching among devices.

• Thanks 1

As Bob and Biker said, switching between devices is no problem.  Per Royal’s instructions, “To use another device, log off your current device by typing log off.com into your browser.”

i am not certain about the coffee cards, since we just got ours at Starbucks.  I thought Princess changed their cards to only be used for each sailing, because some people were selling their cards.   I know on our Princess Cruise last year, we did have a card, and they stamped the sailing number on it and they were checking that each time you ordered.   Not sure if Royal is doing this now, but I will find out in a couple of weeks when we board Indy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dan-P said:

@h20skibum - did you by any chance keep and/or take pictures of the Cruise Compasses?  Any chance on getting you to post them if you did?  Thank you, and thanks for the review.

Dan.

Here's the link: https://www.*****.com/cruise-compasses/harmony-of-the-seas/sat-2018-10-27-0000?fbclid=IwAR1BBlOxaAPHnG4GJNq8jKmsfJxDsyd0mfdEH6hrn2WInO-kUMexbuWAlPg

27 minutes ago, JMTtor said:

Thank you.

Not that it probably matters, but that is when Harmony was sailing Saturday to Saturday and not the Sunday to Sunday it is now.

Dan.

1 minute ago, Dan-P said:

Thank you.

Not that it probably matters, but that is when Harmony was sailing Saturday to Saturday and not the Sunday to Sunday it is now.

Dan.

I still have them, and could scan and post them, but it would not be until the middle of January.  We are currently on a pre-cruise stay for our next cruise that departs the first week of January. 

Another option, if you want to see most of the activities, is to download the Royal Caribbean app. It is now used on Harmony. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I still have them, and could scan and post them, but it would not be until the middle of January.  We are currently on a pre-cruise stay for our next cruise that departs the first week of January. 

Another option, if you want to see most of the activities, is to download the Royal Caribbean app. It is now used on Harmony. 

Thank you and enjoy your cruise.

Have some friends boarding the Harmony soon and was asking on their behalf.  I passed on the info about the app and I think that will give them most of what they were looking for.

Dan.

3 minutes ago, bandjwayne said:

Do you remember which pier you docked on in San Juan?  I thought there was a couple of options & am curious if you were at the one closest to Old San Juan.

thanks!

We docked at the pier in Old San Juan.  All of the old city is easily walkable from there.  This is where all the ships that are in for a day dock. 

I left a few things unfinished in this report. I indicated I had contacted Royal Caribbean after the cruise, and detailed the problems I encountered. 

After a couple weeks they did get back to me, and acknowledged that what I experienced was far from the norm.  They did apply some additional onboard credit for a cruise we have booked in July. I must say, I was pleased with their response, and their offer. 

I will add a few final thoughts in the next couple days.  Have to get that done before boarding the next cruise.  Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan-P said:

I'm not sure when the day of departure changed from Saturday to Sunday, but these Cruise Compasses are from the October 28th sailing this year (two months ago tomorrow). The itinerary is identical (two sea days, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee, sea day) so there should be minimal difference except for everything being a day earlier.

11 minutes ago, JMTtor said:

I'm not sure when the day of departure changed from Saturday to Sunday, but these Cruise Compasses are from the October 28th sailing this year (two months ago tomorrow). The itinerary is identical (two sea days, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee, sea day) so there should be minimal difference except for everything being a day earlier.

I believe the 8 night Harmony sailing that moved it from Saturday to Sunday departed on Nov 10th, so a fairly recent change.  Not sure I ever recall seeing why the Harmony and Allure swapped departure days.

Dan.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan-P said:

I believe the 8 night Harmony sailing that moved it from Saturday to Sunday departed on Nov 10th, so a fairly recent change.  Not sure I ever recall seeing why the Harmony and Allure swapped departure days.

Dan.

I think the reason for the change of days is that Allure now sails from Miami where Harmony was and Harmony now sails from Ft Lauderdale where Allure sailed.  Each is taking the place of the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I think the reason for the change of days is that Allure now sails from Miami where Harmony was and Harmony now sails from Ft Lauderdale where Allure sailed.  Each is taking the place of the other.

It occurred around the same time Symphony started sailing from Miami. 

• Thanks 1

Now, for some final thoughts on Harmony. 

The ship - the ship had a newer feel than either Oasis or Allure, and we liked the updated decor.  We didn’t like the absence of a pool in the solarium. At least Oasis and Allure have small ones.  

The robotic bar was more of a novelty.  Never did see it in operation much. 

Placement of some of the posts in the comedy club hindered sight lines. That didn’t bother us much, since we were in the front row.  The tip is to go early and pick a good seat. 

Most everything else is similar to the other Oasis class ships. 

Next - the cabin

6 hours ago, katiel53 said:

Ahhh, that makes sense.  I have Allure booked for Sept 2019 out of Ft Lauderdale and hadn't realized she was sailing from Miami for the winter.

Thanks!

Dan.