Random Notes, Voyager, 11/26-12/6/18, Miami-Miami--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

So glad you got on board promptly!  And while I can understand the amount of trash bags coming off surely the TSA people could have been a little more flexible with the crew immigration!   Hopefully not too many departing passengers missed their flights.

Afternoon greetings from the Pool Deck!  We’re here at Table 149 for the Tex-Mex buffet as well as just to hang out.  It’s a partly sunny day with a gentle breeze and calm seas.  Lovely!

I was a bit of a bum this morning, sleeping in until 7:30.  A one hour gym workout followed (500 calories burned!).   When I returned to the room at 9, Ginny and Shauna were still sleeping, so they’re well-rested.  Shauna is currently playing “executive,” scribbling in her notebook, while Ginny works on shaping mini wooden cupcakes for a necklace she wants to make (she always has a craft going).

We finally set sail about 11:30 last night, with Captain Stan still relishing the good news of the Voyager easily passing yesterday’s all-day Coast Guard inspection.  He was particularly pleased with the high marks the inspectors gave the well-trained crew.

Thought you’d like to know that we’re sharing the Voyager with 655 fellow cruisers, with Americans accounting for the lion’s share.  Female passengers, as usual, have the edge, 345-313.

Here is the complete Passenger Nationality Breakdown: 

United States, 498

Canada, 70

United Kingdom, 46

Belgium, 8

Germany, 7

Sweden, 4

Switzerland, 4

France, 3

Austria, 2

Australia, 2

Brazil, 2

Mexico, 2

Spain, 2

Bulgaria, 1

Cuba, 1

Ireland, 1

India, 1

Italy, 1

Norway, 1

New Zealand, 1

Portugal, 1

But the number I’m most impressed with is 334, which Cruise Consultant Daniela (Acosta Espejo) reports is the number of Regent first-timers on this cruise.  Daniela is a newbie herself as a Cruise Consultant, although she’s a six-year Regent veteran who began in reception, eventually working her way up through the purser ranks to the position of Executive Concierge.  She began “flying solo” as Regent’s newest Cruise Consultant in Barcelona.   With all the first-time Regent cruisers I am assuming Daniela will be very busy this cruise, especially the last two (sea) days.  We may even find ourselves huddling with her over a future cruise.

Daniela was kind enough to provide the Seven Seas Society cruising tier info for our cruise.  Yes, we have no Diamonds or Commodores, but we do have eight Titaniums.  Here’s the full rundown:

Titanium, 8

Platinum, 9

Gold, 67

Silver, 159

Bronze, 81

OK, time to graze the buffet!

We are so glad to hear that Daniela is your Cruise Consultant! She was wonderful as an Executive Concierge on our 2 sailings with her; the World Cruise 2017 and Cape Town to Rio last spring. She really helped us a lot in 2017 when we left and then returned to the Navigator due to a death in our family. She is a great asset to the Regent family!

Thanks for your wonderful Voyager posts Rich and (Ginny and Shauna) in support.

Wonderful news to hear that Daniela is now on board as your cruise consultant Rich.  She was very helpful to us when we boarded the Mariner last month as Executive

Concierge.

Hope y'all continue to have a wonderful cruise.

Rich, I forgot to mention that we ate all of the food on the Voyager (which accounts for your late departure):classic_tongue:  Actually, we did miss Funchal which is a major port for provisioning (also missed Bermuda but have no clue what they get there since everything is so expensive).  Guess that we had a lot of trash too.  Poor Daniela (F&B Director) - she already works so hard and yesterday must have been a challenging day for her.  So happy to learn that boarding wasn't delayed - it was a concern - particularly since Shauna was so excited about being onboard!

As always, really enjoying your posts.

tripperva, a Miami high of 66 still sounds pretty balmy to me, as we’ve already had temps in the High Desert dip into the teens!  But we were delighted with the literally warm Miami welcome.

Brownie54 and Wes, Cruise Consultant Daniela will be so happy to read your comments—I’ll be sure to share.

Thanks for the good trip wishes, Jean; I always appreciate hearing from you.

Glad you and Dennis made it back safely, Jackie, and thank you again for recommending CR’s Roxanne.  She is a delight and wonderful with Shauna.  We’ve dined in her station both nights! 

After lunch today, it was dad’s turn to care for Shauna, so we watched “Mama Mia:  Here We Go Again” in our room while mom got a deserved break by the pool.

We reunited for Trivia in the Observation Lounge with our Just Guessing  teammates Karen and Jim, and their cruising friends Yvette and Ron.  We got 9 out of 15, which earned us second place and two Regent Reward Points.  CD David’s questions were pretty hard!  

Then it was off to Captain Stan’s “Welcome Introductions,” which might have been the most sparsely attended captain’s reception we’ve observed on a Regent cruise.  It was a good opportunity for me to get to meet a handful of the new production cast members who boarded with us.  Two of the performers I spoke with have never performed at sea before, and one had never previously been on a ship.  Ah, take it from an old shipboard editor who was once your age—adventure awaits!

By the way, because this is what the Regent entertainment folks term an “install cruise,” we’ll only get to see two Regent productions instead of the usual four, as the cast finishes rehearsing and blocking out each of the productions over the course of this cruise.  We’re a little disappointed for Shauna, a show hound, but, hey, that’s ship business.

A word about dinner tonight.  I had made note of several posters’ preference for the filet mignon in Compass Rose over that of Prime 7, so decided to give it a try.  Wow!  It might have been the tastiest FM I’ve ever had aboard Regent—exactly medium rare as I had requested, and very tasty.  I’ve had issues with taste and getting my meat cooked the way I like it in Prime 7.

After dinner, we made it over to the Constellation for Nashville artist Ric Steele’s show, his first on a Regent ship.  He spiced his songs  (including “Pretty Woman,” “Classical Gas,” “Green Green Grass  of Home” and “Country Roads”) with several lengthy stories, including a surprisingly personal tale of his battle with diabetes.  It was hard not to like him for his upbeat personality and energetic performance, as well as his determination to shake most every hand in the audience before AND after the show.

That’s a wrap for today, as Sea Day No. 2 technically began a few minutes ago!  

Good morning from the Pool Deck!  Ari (Compass Rose waiter, eighth Regent contract, Bali) has prepared this cruise’s Rumor Special for you—banana, cantaloupe, carrot and pineapple.  Take a sip and start your day off right!

C9FB3BED-2C72-4B5C-83B0-E90AF45F361A.thumb.jpeg.65f262e06bdd800ddf739b2a76640e36.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

Good morning from the Pool Deck!  Ari (Compass Rose waiter, eighth Regent contract, Bali) has prepared this cruise’s Rumor Special for you—banana, cantaloupe, carrot and pineapple.  Take a sip and start your day off right!

That looks very tasty AND healthy. I shall make a point of asking for the Rumor Special for breakfast when we board on 12/6.:classic_smile:

Thank you so much for the very enjoyable blog. The upcoming cruise will be our first on Regent and this thread and the other recent excellent blogs have raised the excitement levels to fever pitch in our household.

Jennifer, as Shauna was avidly watching “Mama Mia:  Here We Go Again,” I was mercifully drifting off—until the doorbell rang.  It was our diligent steward Prasoon with our supply of Perrier and Diet 7 Up.  He brought enough bottles and cans to last us for a month!  

John, you may find, like me, that the Rumor Special will get you by until lunch on a sea day when you’re then have plenty of appetite for a lunchtime extravaganza such as today’s Pool Deck Indian Buffet on the Pool Deck.  Hope you’ll love Regent!

I have a slight correction to the Regent Production Cast schedule.  According to CD David, we will have two productions (“Dancing Fool,” and “Soul Rocking Nights”) as well as the “Broadway Concert,” which he explained is evolving into more of a production show.  So we will only be missing out on one production.

The new cast will be performing in front of Pamela Petcash, Director of Entertainment for both Regent and Oceania, who has joined us for this cruise.  But, no pressure!

Cruise Consultant Daniela Acosta Espejo had a big smile when I read your posts to her, Brownie54 and Wes.  She elaborated on her move from Executive Concierge to Cruise Consultant, explaining that while “I 100% loved my job as Executive Concierge, after three years I was ready for a new challenge.”  Boasting a bachelor’s degree in international business in which 50% of her study was in sales and marketing, Daniela is definitely poised to excel in her new Regent position.

4EB17CF8-3058-4B8E-BA43-918C9881A765.thumb.jpeg.f9efe205ffc637f67da71dd891631fb2.jpeg

• Like 1

Rich,

Thank you for posting! That photo makes me happy!

She was beyond terrific when we needed help with scheduling our departure in Phuket and subsequent return to the Navigator in Dubai in 2017. She also performed a miracle in helping a relative retrieve jewelry left at a safari camp pre-cruise last spring before boarding in Cape Town, which was returned to the relative in Namibia!  

Wish we could be on board with you now to book new cruises with her.  We will have to hope that our paths cross again on the 4 future cruises we already have booked!

BTW, Rich, I always enjoy your posts! You have such a positive attitude and what you have to say is always so interesting. I feel the last few weeks have been a terrific windfall of reading all of my favorite posters. Happy sailing to all!

Sue

Thank you, Sue!

Here’s a close look—a really close look!—at a few of the offerings at  today’s Indian Buffet on the Pool Deck.  From the top:  Tandoori Chicken, Peas Pulao, Pachadi, Pork Vindaloo, Tomato, Peanuts and Onion Salad, and Pasayam.

8C570289-F717-4194-A5D7-A096E962F5B0.thumb.jpeg.f50f6daf8a012c3f2ab41af3414edd7b.jpegFF19CC6E-2B60-4BEF-9C5F-FB27B1DD53BD.thumb.jpeg.f8c0dd42666f9f3920e217e989816836.jpegA2634B61-57E5-4557-A199-2BBEA607340A.thumb.jpeg.d3d285e2a57ca58e00b411c8b86a19db.jpegAFA16C70-C885-48A3-A191-A25ADC93668D.thumb.jpeg.7bc763553ac7ef2824b81bf0b04aced7.jpeg421F2BBF-B8AB-483E-A5BA-03A2FE8E00E2.thumb.jpeg.85bc49e92fa6ca66381caba0f84b1e65.jpegAB810D23-3C55-497F-88E2-20551565263C.thumb.jpeg.a13e8ccf9fb25fc6431592c8b3ec2cf9.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor

1 hour ago, Mr Rumor said:

Thank you, Sue!

Here’s a close look—a really close look!—at a few of the offerings at  today’s Indian Buffet on the Pool Deck.  From the top:  Tandoori Chicken, Peas Pulao, Pachadi, Pork Vindaloo, Tomato, Peanuts and Onion Salad, and Pasayam.

8C570289-F717-4194-A5D7-A096E962F5B0.thumb.jpeg.f50f6daf8a012c3f2ab41af3414edd7b.jpegFF19CC6E-2B60-4BEF-9C5F-FB27B1DD53BD.thumb.jpeg.f8c0dd42666f9f3920e217e989816836.jpegA2634B61-57E5-4557-A199-2BBEA607340A.thumb.jpeg.d3d285e2a57ca58e00b411c8b86a19db.jpegAFA16C70-C885-48A3-A191-A25ADC93668D.thumb.jpeg.7bc763553ac7ef2824b81bf0b04aced7.jpeg421F2BBF-B8AB-483E-A5BA-03A2FE8E00E2.thumb.jpeg.85bc49e92fa6ca66381caba0f84b1e65.jpegAB810D23-3C55-497F-88E2-20551565263C.thumb.jpeg.a13e8ccf9fb25fc6431592c8b3ec2cf9.jpeg

Great photo's!

Bill, Jackie, and HonTri, glad you enjoyed the buffet photos.  It was interesting to learn from F&B Director Daniela today that the Indian chefs/cooks on each Regent ship are given a role in developing the menus.  Wise move, as I could taste their commitment to their native cuisine in the beautifully prepared and delicious dishes.

Thanks for the check-in, Jason!  I’ve begun buttonholing some of the 334 first-time Regent cruisers, and you’ll be happy to know I haven’t heard a discouraging word yet, just Regent raves.

Our big lunch led to droopy eyelids for Shauna even while we were still sitting on the Pool Deck.  She and I retired for a nap, while Ginny relaxed poolside. We were refreshed in time for Trivia in a packed Observation Lounge, where our team, Just Guessing, tied for first.  

Given how sparsely attended the Captain’s reception was the previous night, I wasn’t sure if there would be much of a turnout for the Block Party at 6.  Ha!  Our portion of Deck Eight, at least, was party central.  We got so caught up in the animated chatter that Captain Stan, GM Davor and CD David had buzzed by before I had even thought to pull out my iPhone for a photo.

Dinner was once again in Roxanne’s station in Compass Rose (Jackie, I passed on your and Dennis’ message, and Roxanne replied, “I miss them!”).  We didn’t down our last bites of dessert until shortly before 9.  Within 15 minutes we were in our seats In the Constellation Theater for Regent Production Singer Nell Keene’s solo turn, a “Thank You for the Music” production featuring classic hits associated with top female artists such as Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Dolly Parton.  Nell was great, as in Standing O great!  Now I know she and CD David are going to knock it out of the Horizon Lounge come Beatles dance night on December 4, when they provide the vocals and Shauna dazzles with her dance moves.

A bit of good news, as I finally prepare to turn in:  We’ve pretty much made up the five and a half hour late departure from Miami thanks to the Voyager’s steady 18+ knot clip the last two days.  If we don’t dock, as originally scheduled this morning at 8 in Road Town, Tortola, it will be shortly afterwards. Later!

Edited by Mr Rumor

Those photos are great and I am really glad I had Chicken Jalfrezi last night so I don't feel quite as jealous (still pretty jealous though!!)

Very much looking forward to your photos from the islands.   Keep enjoying yourselves, Ginny, Rich and Shauna!

Gerry

• Like 1