Specialty Restaurant on the Firs Night

dateacher

We plan to try two specialty restaurants on our next cruise.  Are we better off buying the pre-cruise first night discount dinner for one of them or will we find the same or similar offers once on board?  I always felt we should try the main dining room the first night since we have been able to "mark" our table for future nights.

This is really an 'up to you decision'.  I also don't book on first night.  We already share a table and I like to meet my table guests on the first night but many people do book for the first night because of the discount.  I find that there is often a 30% discount on the first night but no guarantees especially if a lot of people have taken up the offer.

Not that helpful I'm sure but food for thought - excuse the pun!

We often do a speciality restaurant on the first night as the MDR, Blu and even Luminae can be rather hectic with waits to be seated.  In the past we could generally get 40-50% discount on the first night.   Our most recent cruise the 30% off first night was tge best we could do when we got onboard and the available times were 9 o’clock or later- we passed. 

We go very early to our own designated restaurant the first night; that usually works out quite well for us.  With a large change of crew, like on a TA, it helps to be eating early, as that is where we find the most deviation from the norm.  However, it is a personal decision with no guaranree!  Honestly, we have never tried a specialty restaurant on the first night, but 30% is usually what we were offered.

The best part is that we are onboard and ready to just enjoy and relax!  Getting a great table and by a window is our preferred place to dine, unless we are eating with our friends at speciality restaurants later in the cruise.

On Edge, our specialty restaurants have been booked for months due to wanting to try the new  ones, but we will still eat in our own on the fist couple of nights.

Edited by Lastdance

It really doesn't matter when you book for the first night.   You will see lots of upselling taking place as you board the ship.   The discount offered is usually between 30-50% off.   

My experience is that the first night - regardless of which dining room (main, blu or Luminea) is rather disorganized as the servers get accustomed to their new guests.   A specialty can often be a good choice on the first night. 

We love first nights in Murano for several reasons.   If not in Aqua we normally do open sitting.  The first night is usually a bit of a mess with seating as both passengers as many passengers do not have a clue.  While folks are waiting in a long queue to get into the MDR we will usually stop at the Martini Bar for a martini.  Then its off to the Ensemble Lounge where we will often sit at the bar, get to know the bartenders, and sip a 2nd cocktail.   Then its into the elegant world of Murano where its quiet and relaxing with food/service to match.  On some cruises we will try to negotiate a discounted deal for that first night (usually 30 -50% off) but on other cruises we will have a dining package (which can get the cost per meal in Murano down to about half price).

Hank

35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We love first nights in Murano for several reasons.   If not in Aqua we normally do open sitting.  The first night is usually a bit of a mess with seating as both passengers as many passengers do not have a clue.  While folks are waiting in a long queue to get into the MDR we will usually stop at the Martini Bar for a martini.  Then its off to the Ensemble Lounge where we will often sit at the bar, get to know the bartenders, and sip a 2nd cocktail.   Then its into the elegant world of Murano where its quiet and relaxing with food/service to match.  On some cruises we will try to negotiate a discounted deal for that first night (usually 30 -50% off) but on other cruises we will have a dining package (which can get the cost per meal in Murano down to about half price).

Hank

Have you found it difficult to get a table you want in the MDR on subsequent nights when you are not there the first night?  We try for a table near a window or railing and ask for it the first night.  I guess we could also ask for it the second night or stop by and make a reservation on the first night for the next night. We usually do that each night as we leave the MDR.  (BTW, I can't believe my spelling error in the title)

41 minutes ago, dateacher said:

Have you found it difficult to get a table you want in the MDR on subsequent nights when you are not there the first night?  We try for a table near a window or railing and ask for it the first night.  I guess we could also ask for it the second night or stop by and make a reservation on the first night for the next night. We usually do that each night as we leave the MDR.  (BTW, I can't believe my spelling error in the title)

The short answer is no, we never have problems getting a table.  That is because we practice "queue avoidance" which simply means we try to avoid lines.  On most cruises we choose to dine late (after 7:30) when all those who prefer early dinner (we call it tea time) are not an issue.  We also prefer to share large tables in the MDR as its a great way to meet new folks and socialize.  So while there are some cooling their heels waiting for a 2-top, a particular waiter, or a table in a particular location we simply tell the Maitre'd that we would like to share a larger table.  Not only does this get us quickly seated, but we quickly make friends with the Maitre d's (because we are flexible) which often has its own rewards.  

On our last X cruise we tried something new and truly loved it!  We had back to back 10 , 11 day cruises on the Reflection.  We purchased dining packages which covered 6 and 8 meals on the two cruises and got them when X had a 25% off sale.  Our cost per meal worked out to about $25.  We had 10 meals in Murano, 2 in Qsine, and 1 each in the Tuscan and Lawn.  It was absolute heaven.  We generally ate in the MDR on gala nights (when they have the best menus) and always shared large tables in the MDR.  In the alternative restaurants we generally reserved 2-tops although we did spend a couple of nights dining with some new friends in Murano.    We did this because we think that food in the MDR has declined (in a big way) under the tenure of the current X management team.  And as to Blu  (we have done 5 cruises in Aqua) we think the quality is a little better then the MDR, but grew bored with the menus.  Consider that Blu has been serving those same silly crudites for as long as they have had Blu.  And the lamb shank, osso bucco, and similar braised offerings all taste the same!

In Murano I can have duck one night, Chateubriand the next, lobster, properly prepared and fileted Dover Sole, etc, nearly every night.  IMHO the worst item in Murano is better then the best item in the MDR or Blu.  We do acknowledge that not everyone wants to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours having dinner, but to us that is called "dining."

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The short answer is no, we never have problems getting a table.  That is because we practice "queue avoidance" which simply means we try to avoid lines.  On most cruises we choose to dine late (after 7:30) when all those who prefer early dinner (we call it tea time) are not an issue.  We also prefer to share large tables in the MDR as its a great way to meet new folks and socialize.  So while there are some cooling their heels waiting for a 2-top, a particular waiter, or a table in a particular location we simply tell the Maitre'd that we would like to share a larger table.  Not only does this get us quickly seated, but we quickly make friends with the Maitre d's (because we are flexible) which often has its own rewards.  

On our last X cruise we tried something new and truly loved it!  We had back to back 10 , 11 day cruises on the Reflection.  We purchased dining packages which covered 6 and 8 meals on the two cruises and got them when X had a 25% off sale.  Our cost per meal worked out to about $25.  We had 10 meals in Murano, 2 in Qsine, and 1 each in the Tuscan and Lawn.  It was absolute heaven.  We generally ate in the MDR on gala nights (when they have the best menus) and always shared large tables in the MDR.  In the alternative restaurants we generally reserved 2-tops although we did spend a couple of nights dining with some new friends in Murano.    We did this because we think that food in the MDR has declined (in a big way) under the tenure of the current X management team.  And as to Blu  (we have done 5 cruises in Aqua) we think the quality is a little better then the MDR, but grew bored with the menus.  Consider that Blu has been serving those same silly crudites for as long as they have had Blu.  And the lamb shank, osso bucco, and similar braised offerings all taste the same!

In Murano I can have duck one night, Chateubriand the next, lobster, properly prepared and fileted Dover Sole, etc, nearly every night.  IMHO the worst item in Murano is better then the best item in the MDR or Blu.

Hank

Thanks for the insight.  We are also late diners, usually after 8 and have not trouble getting a 2 top.  We end up so close to others we make friends that way!

We took advantage of the 20% off offered for Tucson Grill for our first night. We were very pleased. The food was good and the service was outstanding. 

We we were also offered 20% off Qsine while eating our lunch today (day 2). Trying to keep within budget and in-laws are not adventurous with food so declined offer. 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, dateacher said:

We plan to try two specialty restaurants on our next cruise.  Are we better off buying the pre-cruise first night discount dinner for one of them or will we find the same or similar offers once on board?  I always felt we should try the main dining room the first night since we have been able to "mark" our table for future nights.

We do the opposite and try to go to specialty restaurants the first night to avoid the bustle in the MDR or Blu where everyone is still getting adjusted to things. When eating in the MDR, we always do traditional seating. As soon as we board we go the MDR and visit the maître d to make certain that our table request was honored and determined the location of our assigned table. (It also allows us ample time without a crowd in the rare occasion that a change is needed.) The specialty restaurants are usually much less busy on the first night and it gives a chance after a busy first day aboard to relax and enjoy being pampered.

As to whether you'd be better off booking ahead or waiting, that's a gamble. If you're not particularly picky about what time you'll dine you might be better off on board. Then again, maybe not. I'd suggest doing whichever one is less stressful for you. We don't care if we don't go, so we generally wait and see knowing we can always go to our assigned dining venue.