Did I miss the boat on an Internet Package

Lvntrvl

We are traveling on the Mariner 12/31 with our 3 children and their SOs.  I was hoping for an internet free vacation and more family time since we now live in different cities, but my DH thinks that he needs it and the rest will follow suit .  I missed the Cyber Monday specials, so am I better off to wait until I get on board or has anyone experienced a last minute deal or a Holiday special?  Also, can we get a 4 device package and  assign one party in each cabin a login?

Sales are unpredictable, keep watching your Cruise Planner.

If you get a multi-device package, there is one access code to share.  If you want multiple logins, you need multiple packages.

I definitely wouldn't wait until I board. I may be wrong but personally I've never seen the onboard price cheaper than purchasing beforehand. The months leading up to my cruise the online price was 20-40% off onboard prices depending on which sale was going on. 

FYI if you do get a package. The email says that you'll receive a code in your stateroom by 11pm the day you board. I never got a code so I went down to GS the following morning. It turns out you no longer need a code you just login with your RCCL username and it knows that you have the package. 

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Thanks 1

We're going on a cruise in Feb. For the whole time since I booked the prices for the higher speed internet was around 25 or 26 a day for the 3 device package. My friend bought it last week. I just looked at the packages yesterday and now the package she bought is at almost 46 a day. Quite a rate hike. So it seems to be better to buy as soon as possible and hope you are happy with the price. 

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Which ship was this?

Allure

When you went to wifi settings it said something like "Do you  want to purchase an internet package" I didn't click on it because I already had a package.It turns out once you clicked on it it said "Purchase price $0"

Maybe it's different on Allure because they have the new app. 

Edited by dcgrumpy

4 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Allure

When you went to wifi settings it said something like "Do you  want to purchase an internet package" I didn't click on it because I already had a package.It turns out once you clicked on it it said "Purchase price $0"

Yes, but to actually login to WiFi, don't you need a code?

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but to actually login to WiFi, don't you need a code?

NO. You initially log in with your RCCL  username and password then it prompts you to make a new username and password. No code needed

Edited by dcgrumpy

4 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

NO. You just log in with your RCCL  username and password

I assume if someone doesn't have a RCI login, they'll get a code, but this is certainly the first time I've seen this (no code) reported. Yes, it is likely limited to Allure as a test.

Did you get a chance to use the chat/text feature in the app?

Edited by Biker19

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I assume if someone doesn't have a RCI login, they'll get a code, but this is certainly the first time I've seen this (no code) reported. Yes, it is likely limited to Allure as a test.

I don't know how it would work. When I went to GS she didn't even ask me if I had a login she just told me I didn't need a code. I stood there and logged in because I thought she misunderstood what I meant because it didn't make sense to me. LOL

What annoys me is I paid for a day that no one got to use it. 

Edited by dcgrumpy

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Did you get a chance to use the chat/text feature in the app?

Yes. It didn't always work. Sometimes you would get a notification that it didn't send. Other times it would say it sent but other person never received the message.

Also I'm not sure if we weren't very observant the first few days or the app changed. One of our biggest complaints the first few days was we didn't get a notification if we had a message. You had to actually go into the app and then you would see that you had a message. The last day or so I noticed a tiny crown and anchor some up on my phone where I get notifications indicating I had a message. I'm not sure if we all missed it or it wasn't there in the beginning of the week. 

Somehow there were times where the Compass in my phone and my husband's didn't match. It was weird. It would show the same activity but a different time and place.

5 hours ago, Lvntrvl said:

We are traveling on the Mariner 12/31 with our 3 children and their SOs.  I was hoping for an internet free vacation and more family time since we now live in different cities, but my DH thinks that he needs it and the rest will follow suit .  I missed the Cyber Monday specials, so am I better off to wait until I get on board or has anyone experienced a last minute deal or a Holiday special?  Also, can we get a 4 device package and  assign one party in each cabin a login?

It is cheaper to buy one 4 device package than buying 4 one device packages.

Me and my wife normally buy a 2 device package.  However on a cruise last year with in-laws.  One of my wife's niece's needed internet access for school purposes.  I bought a 3 device package.  The agreement was that each of us would have only one device logged in at any one time (me and my wife switch out between smart phones, tables laptops).  The niece's parents reimbursed me by buying me a few glasses of wine.

I think you could work a similiar idea with your travel mates.

In all of my experiences in buying the voom packages, they have given us the code upon checkin.  For the above case I just passed along the code to the parents upon their boarding (we boarded at different times)

6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Sales are unpredictable, keep watching your Cruise Planner.

If you get a multi-device package, there is one access code to share.  If you want multiple logins, you need multiple packages.

Bob, are you saying two people cannot surf the internet simultaneously if they have a two device package purchased under one person's name?

24 minutes ago, gatour said:

It is cheaper to buy one 4 device package than buying 4 one device packages.

Me and my wife normally buy a 2 device package.  However on a cruise last year with in-laws.  One of my wife's niece's needed internet access for school purposes.  I bought a 3 device package.  The agreement was that each of us would have only one device logged in at any one time (me and my wife switch out between smart phones, tables laptops).  The niece's parents reimbursed me by buying me a few glasses of wine.

I think you could work a similiar idea with your travel mates.

In all of my experiences in buying the voom packages, they have given us the code upon checkin.  For the above case I just passed along the code to the parents upon their boarding (we boarded at different times)

were all 3 of you able to access the internet simultaneously?

6 minutes ago, molole said:

Bob, are you saying two people cannot surf the internet simultaneously if they have a two device package purchased under one person's name?

No, I'm saying each package has one set of login credentials.  If it's a 4-device package, then 4 devices can be logged in simultaneously, each using the same exact login credentials.

• Thanks 1