Extra charges after voyage

Ubarrow

We received our Stateroom account, which was fine and see that our card was appropriately debited.

But then I noticed that there was another amount of $4.37 debited the day after. I can’t remember anything in the minibar of this amount, and we never use it in any case.

I’m slightly irritated that Cunard haven’t informed me about this extra bill and have emailed to query it. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

We had a similar charge a while ago. Turned out to be an erroneous charge for the large bottle of water they leave in the cabin.

There have been many similar complaints on the P&O UK part of the forum, and water was the culprit there too.

May I suggest you verify that the charge is actually from Cunard?  I got annoyed when my credit card statement showed a similar 'extra' charge.  It was the bank.  I used a U.S. Visa card, issued by a U.S. bank in USD for my on-board charges which were billed in USD.  My U.S. bank added what turned out to be "Foreign exchange fee".  What foreign exchange exactly?  But it was billed from U.K. not from continental U.S.  That's all the flimsy excuse they need to hit you up again.

18 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

May I suggest you verify that the charge is actually from Cunard?  I got annoyed when my credit card statement showed a similar 'extra' charge.  It was the bank.  I used a U.S. Visa card, issued by a U.S. bank in USD for my on-board charges which were billed in USD.  My U.S. bank added what turned out to be "Foreign exchange fee".  What foreign exchange exactly?  But it was billed from U.K. not from continental U.S.  That's all the flimsy excuse they need to hit you up again.

It says Cunard on the statement. I know what you mean though, some cards do this - but I have a Halifax Clarity card which doesn’t do this.

This has happened to me twice. I was charged for the large water bottle. Interestingly both times I had purchased the set of 8 waters (number may be wrong) . The room steward stated they would bring one less and include the water in the fridge as the extra water . My guess is that when checking the fridge at the end of the cruise they end up charging for that water again. Next time I order the set of water I am going to tell the room steward to bring me all the water and not count the water in the fridge which I will not use.

We had the same issue with our trip in August on QE, I was charged $6.68 the day after our departure, I have contacted both my Credit card company and Cunard, with my CC I managed to get the amount refunded as a fraudulent payment, as it was taken the day after our cabin account was settled, I spoke with Cunard and they were next to useless so I emailed a complaint over, a very helpful and professional lady called Kelly handled our case, she said it was because the cruise account had been accessed in the afternoon we had gotten of the ship and this was done by mistake!!!

DON'T just let it lie, follow it up, it might only be a few dollars but a few dollars extra from all cabin accounts soon mount up, even check that your getting the correct amount of refund including card charges and allow for the exchange rate. And don't allow them to fob you off with I'm sorry it was a mistake or you must have used something from your room bar/fridge.

This is at best poor operational practice's at worst fraud so follow it up.

If it happens after our next trip over New Year I will consider contacting the BBC's Watchdog to see if they can help.

It has happened to me a couple of times.  Once the extra charge was over $70.  When queried, I was told this was for a bathrobe.  When I disputed the charge, it was refunded, but it was still an inconvenience and now it's a relief when I check my bill after a cruise and there are no nasty surprises.

Edited by Lanky Lad

I personally think and have said this previously and got roasted for saying it without proof but it is happening far too frequently with too many people to be computer or  personal error. I honestly believe there are some underhand tactics going on and with the hope that people will not notice extra charges or think it is too small to worry about.

The response I got from Southampton when I queried the charge on our account was nothing short of rude and I was told they would refund it “on this occasion” but I was wrong! She insisted it was water or the mini bar, which it couldn’t have been since we were in QG. She also told me, very defensively, they were well aware it was happening frequently and that passengers were writing about it on social media etc

Something is very wrong.

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I personally think and have said this previously and got roasted for saying it without proof but it is happening far too frequently with too many people to be computer or  personal error. I honestly believe there are some underhand tactics going on and with the hope that people will not notice extra charges or think it is too small to worry about.

I agree with you.

Many people don't check or put extra charges down to exchange rates. It happened on Royal a lot last year and eventually they emptied the mini bars and removed the bottles of water from the cabins.

Seems that was the only thing that worked.

People shouldn't bother calling the customer services/complains number as from my experience it was diverted to the sales team and they might be good at selling you another cruise but are next to useless at sorting out this matter, email your complaint it gets to the right people plus you have a written account of your complaint, get on to your CC company as it's an unauthorized payment when all said and done so they should refund you, if more people complain and kick up a fuss we have a better chance of getting it stopped.

IT'S FRAUD!!!

I’ve heard nothing back from “Customer Service”. It’s only $4 so hardly worth the small claims court (!) but I’ll wait a week then follow it up. Many of you have mentioned the bottle of water, does this result in a charge of $4.37?

This issue is rife throughout the cruise industry.

It happened to us whilst on Celebrity, I now have all bottles water removed from my stateroom when I first embark.

I then purchase water when I am ashore, or from the bar whilst on board.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Ubarrow said:

I’ve heard nothing back from “Customer Service”. It’s only $4 so hardly worth the small claims court (!) but I’ll wait a week then follow it up. Many of you have mentioned the bottle of water, does this result in a charge of $4.37?

That would be $3.70 plus 18% gratuity. Do you know anything that sells for $3.70 before gratuity?

Have now received this reply:

Please accept our apologies. The amount of $4.37 was debited for "cabin services" - with no further explanation. As you are sure you do not recognise this amount, I have requested a refund directly back to the card with which you paid your on board account. Please note that this may take up to 14 working days.
Please be assured of our best intentions at all times.

9 hours ago, Ubarrow said:

Yes, almost $5!!!

times that by the number it seems to happen too on every cruise and it comes to a tidy sum collected every year by Cunard in error which if nobody complains will not stop and make them a tidy profit. It doesnt matter how much it is it should not happen in the first place.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

times that by the number it seems to happen too on every cruise and it comes to a tidy sum collected every year by Cunard in error which if nobody complains will not stop and make them a tidy profit. It doesnt matter how much it is it should not happen in the first place.

Exactly.

• 1 month later...

It's happened again, just got back from a New years cruise on QE, looked at my credit card statement and they have over charged me again, I know it's only £3.10 it's not the cost BUT THIS IS FRAUD.

Two cruises with Cunard and this has happened twice.

Edited by ascot2012
adding more content

If you are in the US, call your bank and dispute the charge. They will charge it back and credit your account pending a response form Cunard's bank, which considering the amount will probably not happen. If needed keep your Cunard bill to show that you have paid every thing on the bill.