Koningsdam Accesible Cabin 4096

510picker

My wife and I recently cruised on Holland America's Koningsdam. This was our 11th cruise with Holland America, so obviously we enjoy the cruise line. I am a full-time wheelchair user, so we always book accessible cabins. My only complaint in the past with HAL's accessible verandah cabins is access to the verandah. The heavy , outward opening door and steep ramp makes it virtually impossible to access independently, and I have noted this on every post-cruise survey.

I am happy to say this has been corrected on the Koningsdam. We were booked in cabin 4096, which is an obstructed view balcony. We loved this room and verandah and would not hesitate to book it again. The room itself was very open and had plenty of room. The verandah was the largest we've ever had and could easily fit 10 - 12 people. A friend of ours was also on this cruise and he too is in a wheelchair. He and I had plenty of room both in the cabin and on the verandah. That wouldn't be the case on ships we've been on in the past. A sliding door is used to access the verandah and worked very well. The only possible way to improve this would be to add power to the door.

This may be old information, but I thought I would share. When booking this cruise, I had trouble locating photos of accessible cabins on the Koningsdam, so I thought I would share some of ours. The link below is to the entire photo gallery from the cruise.

http://www.pbase.com/510picker/koningsdam_november_2018_cruise

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, winpub said:

Do you also have pics of the bathroom for 4096?  We are booked on the Nieuw Statendam for this Dec. & would like to see more... Thanks, Bev

It doesn't look like we took any photos of the bathroom, but HAL emailed me this photo of the bathroom before we went on the cruise. The Holland America Access and Compliance department will email you photos of accessible cabins on any of their ships. If they don't have the photos in inventory, they contact the ship and ask for them to take photos of the requested room. They have always been extremely helpful. We loved this cabin and hope you do too on the Nieuw Statendam. 

4096 bathroom-1.jpg

18 hours ago, Id rather be diving said:

Wow!  What a balcony!!!  Princess has a ramp to get out but not that much space!

It was very nice! The view was somewhat obscured with the life boats, but that didn't bother us. If we wanted a clear view, we just moved to the end where there weren't any life boats. This isn't a balcony where you are going to get a sun tan, but we both preferred the full coverage. It poured down rain and we were able to sit on the balcony and enjoy it. If there were wind and rain, you might get wet from it blowing. We had friends on the same cruise that were booked in accessible cabin 6150 and they preferred our cabin layout and balcony over theirs.

We have not traveled on HAL.  But we may have to try it out!!!  The best service for my mobility impaired husband has always been Princess.  We have had good experience on the larger Celebrity ship (Silhouette) but horrible service - really completely lacking - on the Constellation.  I have seen photos of the new Edge's handicap rooms and would really like to try one of those.  Our next few cruises have us in a window suite that is HC accessible on Princess.   I fear after that experience we won't be happy going back to even a balcony one.

2 hours ago, Id rather be diving said:

We have not traveled on HAL.  But we may have to try it out!!!  The best service for my mobility impaired husband has always been Princess.  We have had good experience on the larger Celebrity ship (Silhouette) but horrible service - really completely lacking - on the Constellation.  I have seen photos of the new Edge's handicap rooms and would really like to try one of those.  Our next few cruises have us in a window suite that is HC accessible on Princess.   I fear after that experience we won't be happy going back to even a balcony one.

We’ve cruised with HAL, Royal and Carnival. The service on HAL is far better than what we’ve received on the others. We cruise to relax. We are early to bed and early to rise. Not into late night parties. HAL is just a good fit for us. We would like to try Princess and Celebrity, but HAL is considerably less expensive when we start comparing. It’s hard for me to pay more for the unknown when I know how much I will enjoy a HAL cruise.

I’ve never been on a bad cruise, but all of my HAL cruises have been better than the other lines I’ve been on, and I attribute that to the amazing crew. I always tell people other cruise lines made us feel like welcome guests, but HAL’s crew makes us feel like we are at home. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have hopes you might read this even though some time has passed. Was there a sofa in the room? Looks like maybe

just 2 chairs? We have just booked this cabin, cabin looks comfortable and looks like plenty of room for my scooter.

Thanks Norma

22 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

I have hopes you might read this even though some time has passed. Was there a sofa in the room? Looks like maybe

just 2 chairs? We have just booked this cabin, cabin looks comfortable and looks like plenty of room for my scooter.

Thanks Norma

No, there is not a sofa in the room. You will have plenty of room with your scooter. It is a fantastic room! 

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 11:39 AM, h20cruzer said:

Thanks Norma

We also had a nice accessible cabin on the Koningsdam and it looked just like  (4096) and it also had an obstructed view but it was still a good view.   You might ask the accessible department if they would switch the two chairs for a sofa.   They might be able to do it for you.

5 hours ago, mexico8 said:

We also had a nice accessible cabin on the Koningsdam and it looked just like  (4096) and it also had an obstructed view but it was still a good view.   You might ask the accessible department if they would switch the two chairs for a sofa.   They might be able to do it for you.

Any chance you have any photos of the cabin you could post?

7 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

It was identical to 4096.  We loved it and saved money over the regular balcony cabin we had booked originally.   It cost less because it was partial obstructed but we could still see the water etc.   There was plenty of room for my scooter and the  entry door was automatic .

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 1:08 AM, h20cruzer said:

I have some photos of our room (4167)  and the balcony.   I don't know how to copy them here but I could send them to you as an attachment on an e-mail.   If you e-mail me your e-mail address I will send them to you.   My e-mail is wendybob8 at gmail dot com.

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:43 PM, kitegirl said:

Thank you Essiemom....  man that looks like a very small HC room....  not very wide.....  hope my large scooter and walker will fit in it ok....

I agree.   That cabin does not look like an accessible cabin to me at all.   We loved cabin 4167 and it was huge and plenty of room for a scooter and a walker.   I would contact HAL to get info on the cabin.   

If you click on the tiny camera icon, you get a large picture that is definitely not of 6148.  But further down are more pictures that show it definitely wider and has a sitting area opposite the foot of the bed.  EM