MSC Comedy of Errors

Stockjock

I noticed when you went to GS with a complaint they would listen to you then would go in behind a closed door for a while then come out and give you your decision,be it right or wrong. Were they talking to home office or were they consulting with the "Wizzard"?

21 hours ago, asctony said:

Can't see my complete booking on MSC site. Can't link my booking to my Black Card Number.

Yes, I try that everyday and still no luck. Like I said, I log in via User ID and Booking number. Both ways show different things as I tried to explain before. It is beyond help. LOL

Still have not heard back from MSC. It has been over 2 days. I guess I am expecting too much. LOL

13 hours ago, edsareg said:

Hi, There seems to be a Mental blockage  when dealing with with the Customer Service, You make your complaint or what ever it is you are talking to them for, They fully agree with you, They promise you the Earth, Then nothing happens. I made a booking on Dec 7 2018 , After 9 weeks and endless emails and calls , Nothing. I am still waiting for my final price. To day  every one in there C/S/  has promised that I will have all my details by close of play TODAY,  Its now 5pm in the UK  STILL WAITING FOR THE CALL.
I will keep you informed  about my Journey , Wish  me luck.
Reg.

I have lots of problems with the website and my booking, but I don't blame customer service. I work in IT, you can't really blame the user when the system is broken.

There are so many glitches and bugs in their booking system, customer management system, website and account management. Most of the time, they simply can't do what they want to do to help you. The system simply won't allow it. 

They are set up to fail. They need to overhaul the whole backend. Americans are so used to Amazon kind of customer service. Yes, we don't even have patience waiting for Prime 2nd day package, let alone answering my email in 10 days and still don't solve nothing.

MSC won't do any good with this kind of customer service in US. 

Edited by thetaro

2 hours ago, thetaro said:

I have lots of problems with the website and my booking, but I don't blame customer service. I work in IT, you can't really blame the user when the system is broken.

There are so many glitches and bugs in their booking system, customer management system, website and account management. Most of the time, they simply can't do what they want to do to help you. The system simply won't allow it. 

They are set up to fail. They need to overhaul the whole backend. Americans are so used to Amazon kind of customer service. Yes, we don't even have patience waiting for Prime 2nd day package, let alone answering my email in 10 days and still don't solve nothing.

MSC won't do any good with this kind of customer service in US. 

Hi, You are prob right, I have a list of 10 different people who I have spoken to over the last 10 weeks, RE my booking,Every one promised it would be sorted out in 24 hrs, As of yet nothing. You are right about the person on the other end of the phone can only work with the tools they are given, But when you are left on hold for 20/25 mins  and you still don't get what you wanted.
I have spoken to so many MSC staff I have now been invited to there Christmas Party. 
I have sent a email to the CEO in ITALY, 3 weeks ago listing all the failings, But as normal still waiting for a reply.
Reg.

13 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

I noticed when you went to GS with a complaint they would listen to you then would go in behind a closed door for a while then come out and give you your decision,be it right or wrong. Were they talking to home office or were they consulting with the "Wizzard"?

Hi,  You are right, They put you on hold for 15/20 then come back and tell you what you want to hear then nothing happens, Reg

• 2 years later...

Just to add to the most recent comedy of errors.

I booked 2 cruises on Magnifica, one 10 night out of Southhampton for October 2021 and another 11 night out of "Rome" for November 2021.

The Southhampton cruise changed to NAR with the representative photo removed.  

Then the Southhampton cruise remained NAR, but changed to a 2 night cruise and also moved up the supposed 2 night cruise from October 2021 to May 2021.

The November 11 night moved up the cruise date approximate 2 weeks.  And I booked my flights and hotel accordingly.  Now, they show it sailing 5 days later on a different ship per my confirmation (from Magnifica to Poesia), but their website shows a conflict and no cruise from either ship cruising from "Rome" on that date with the itinerary that I booked.

And as usual, no notification on any of this.  I called MSC for clarification as to what's going on and they had no idea.

The usual comedy of errors and lack of communication.

Just now, Stockjock said:

Just to add to the most recent comedy of errors.

I booked 2 cruises on Magnifica, one 10 night out of Southhampton for October 2021 and another 11 night out of "Rome" for November 2021.

The Southhampton cruise changed to NAR with the representative photo removed.  But at least, initially, the itinerary stayed the same.

Then the Southhampton cruise remained NAR, but changed to a 2 night cruise and also moved up the supposed 2 night cruise from October 2021 to May 2021!

The November 11 night initially moved up the cruise date approximately 2 weeks.  And I booked my flights and hotel accordingly.  Now, they show it sailing 5 days later on a different ship per my confirmation (from Magnifica to Poesia), but their website shows a conflict and no cruise from either ship cruising from "Rome" on that date with the itinerary that I booked.

And as usual, no notification on any of this.  I called MSC for clarification as to what's going on and they had no idea.

The usual comedy of errors and lack of communication.

• 3 weeks later...

They told me that my November 2021 cruise was sailing, so we prepaid for tours.  Weeks ago, they removed my cabin number but told me that I could potentially receive an upgrade.

Now, they have changed the status to LAY and show the ship going to the Suez Canal.  While they've publicly announced they are sending Magnifica to Saudi Arabia, they have not formally announced cancellation of this cruise, and the agents claim they have no information to share.  

I think this is the 4th cruise out of my last 6 cancelled by MSC, but only 1 for covid.  To my knowledge, I have not received notice on any changes or cancellation.  And prior to cancellation on the last 2 cruises, the date was changed, again without notification.

The Comedy of Errors continues.

15 hours ago, Stockjock said:

They told me that my November 2021 cruise was sailing, so we prepaid for tours.  Weeks ago, they removed my cabin number but told me that I could potentially receive an upgrade.

Now, they have changed the status to LAY and show the ship going to the Suez Canal.  While they've publicly announced they are sending Magnifica to Saudi Arabia, they have not formally announced cancellation of this cruise, and the agents claim they have no information to share.  

I think this is the 4th cruise out of my last 6 cancelled by MSC, but only 1 for covid.  To my knowledge, I have not received notice on any changes or cancellation.  And prior to cancellation on the last 2 cruises, the date was changed, again without notification.

The Comedy of Errors continues.

They need interest free loans from all of us booking Cruises

Hi again, Stockjock.  That is so funny!  You may remember I had booked Magnifica for 12th May 2021 for 2 nights.  It was only last week that MSC Germany finally conceded that she wouldn't be sailing.  I finally got it cancelled.  I transferred it to October 2021 on Seaside, with 100 euros obc. We had originally had Magnifica booked for October but they have actually now cancelled that.  

When was your Magnifica November booked for? 

On the MSC website it is showing Magnifica Eastern Med until 3rd November 2021, there is then a gap until 29th December 2021 where she will then be Civi......... (Rome).

5 hours ago, panamapd said:

Hi again, Stockjock.  That is so funny!  You may remember I had booked Magnifica for 12th May 2021 for 2 nights.  It was only last week that MSC Germany finally conceded that she wouldn't be sailing.  I finally got it cancelled.  I transferred it to October 2021 on Seaside, with 100 euros obc. We had originally had Magnifica booked for October but they have actually now cancelled that.  

When was your Magnifica November booked for? 

On the MSC website it is showing Magnifica Eastern Med until 3rd November 2021, there is then a gap until 29th December 2021 where she will then be Civi......... (Rome).

Can you transfer your deposit and OBC to another already existing booking or do they force you to make a new fresh booking?

On 12/5/2018 at 4:48 AM, Stockjock said:

Looks like the deck plan photo that I mentioned did not really a load in an easy to view way, so here it is.

B7F5A40F-A127-49D5-87E5-00FEBF28F960.jpeg

Hi stock jock I see that you have booked directly with MSc.

please book with a US travel agent who will give you an 8 to 10% discount on the basic fare,  excluding port fees and taxes.

On the bidding site, Multiple agents will offer you lower and lower prices or equivalent OBC for the cruise and cabin of your choice.

Hi - I just made a new booking.  The one for Magnifica in October, I just requested a full refund.

Also, totally agree about booking through a travel agency.  Its only on very occasions that I book direct with MSC.

Booking via a travel agency is:-

usually lot cheaper

lower deposit

final payment is usually one month before

3 minutes ago, panamapd said:

Hi - I just made a new booking.  The one for Magnifica in October, I just requested a full refund.

Also, totally agree about booking through a travel agency.  Its only on very occasions that I book direct with MSC.

Booking via a travel agency is:-

usually lot cheaper

lower deposit

final payment is usually one month before

No doubt it's a lot cheaper because they offer you 8- 10% discount on the commissionable fare,  which excludes port fees and taxes.

But the deposit and final payment are as per the rules.  The agent cannot change that

• Like 1

Usually I choose my sailings very carefully so I generally get pretty good deals.  In the past, when I've received quotes, they haven't been much better than what I can get through the cruise line.  Also, I tend to book and cancel a lot when I find something better, and I hate to do that to a travel agent.

Different strokes, I guess.

Edited by Stockjock

7 hours ago, drsel said:

Can you transfer your deposit and OBC to another already existing booking or do they force you to make a new fresh booking?

They would transfer it to a new booking in the winter only.  But I'm told there are only 3 lead supervisors that have the specific authority to do this.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:33 AM, drsel said:

No doubt it's a lot cheaper because they offer you 8- 10% discount on the commissionable fare,  which excludes port fees and taxes.

But the deposit and final payment are as per the rules.  The agent cannot change that

Not sure if what you quoted is industry standard.....our TA discounts 4-5%.

But, he is willing to deal with MSC to get additional discounts when cruise fare goes down.

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Not sure if what you quoted is industry standard.....our TA discounts 4-5%.

But, he is willing to deal with MSC to get additional discounts when cruise fare goes down.

The Cruise industry trade magazine mentions that the commission to agencies is 10 to 16 % based on their volumes so the giant agencies get 16% on the commissionable basic fare, which excludes port fees and taxes.

If you put your selected Cruise and cabin on the bidding site, many different agencies will offer you higher and higher discounts of approximately 8 to 10%.

So they earn only 8 to 6% on the commissionable basic fare.

Even price drops are done free of charge, but they might reduce the discount proportionately, because for every price drop their commission is also reduced proportionately.

Most of them have no change fees or cancellation fees.

This is clearly mentioned with their discounted price offer, which includes all port fees and taxes but excludes gratuities and tips.

Edited by drsel

Thanks for a great overview and explanation. Always wondered what commissions they get on our cruises.

I did put our  first MSC cruise on competition site for cruises and did get a great deal. I have used that agent ever since. He has been able to give us OBC along with discount on our final cruise invoices.  Seems to be able to get through to MSC easily and follow up with me usually same day. This is worth a lot to me. 

2 hours ago, phissy said:

Thanks for a great overview and explanation. Always wondered what commissions they get on our cruises.

I did put our  first MSC cruise on competition site for cruises and did get a great deal. I have used that agent ever since. He has been able to give us OBC along with discount on our final cruise invoices.  Seems to be able to get through to MSC easily and follow up with me usually same day. This is worth a lot to me. 

The funny part about agencies is that--

if you go through the bidding site, you will get a slightly better deal than going to the agency directly;  even though they have to pay $30 dollars or more to the bidding site.

This is due to intense competition among the large agencies on that site.

Another point to note is that for different Cruises on different Cruise lines, the same agency may not always offer you the best deal.

There is usually a slight difference in discounted price or equivalent OBC among the top 4 agencies on this site.

Yes, MSC is very easily reachable.

whenever I call them, they answer within seconds. No waiting time to get a customer service representative on the phone.

Edited by drsel
  • Thanks 1

My TA declined to book my last MSC cruise (a B2B in January).  She said working with their customer service just wasn't worth it!  She's a top seller for Carnival and prefers to book them, but works with the other mainstream lines.  I booked myself online (B2B, same cabin).

The few times I've talked to MSC, they've been helpful but that was before COVID.

I have FCCs from those cancelled cruises.  Will all of these bidding agents get the FCCs applied correctly?  Will they book the Voyager discounts?  The cruise I'm looking at is a 5%+10%.  At least it was last time I looked.  Those tend to come and go.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

I have FCCs from those cancelled cruises.  Will all of these bidding agents get the FCCs applied correctly?  Will they book the Voyager discounts?  The cruise I'm looking at is a 5%+10%.  At least it was last time I looked.  Those tend to come and go.

Yes, they will apply FCC correctly and also get you the MSC 5 + 10% discount in addition to the discount that they provide from their commission.

• Like 1