Mystery Island Tsunami

Has anyone visited Mystery Island since the recent tsunami?

If so, what effect has there been to cruising and visitors?

Would appreciate latest info’ as our family are looking forward, so much, to visiting it in Jan 2019!

Any update would be great.

Thanks in advance,

MP.

Haven't been there since the tsunami, but did read a report on FB from one of the tour operators there over the weekend. He reports that the ship visit on Sat(?) was cancelled to allow opportunity for clean-up. He reported the new Tiki bar was washed away, some of the beachhuts were damaged and a lot of debris all around - he had a photo showing the beachhuts, some were laying on their sides. Some of the new canoes had been damaged &/or washed away.

He said they will be back in business in a few days, and looked forward to ships visiting again soon. You should be fine next month.

We have always enjoyed our visits to Mystery Island - maybe 5 visits up now. The locals are very nice, certainly appreciate our support, and we can never get enough of visiting tropical islands.

The damage is much worse on Aneityum, where the locals live. That's where the villages and schools etc are.

From what I saw of the condition of the place in February this year the Tsunami might have done them a favour. Compared to what it looked like a couple of years ago the place was a mess that nobody seemed interested in cleaning up.

We were there the day before (Explorer of the Seas), had a great day snorkeling & walking around the island.  Didn't really notice any rubbish at all.

We were on Amadee Island the next day when it happened, but didn't feel anything.  No mention of it at all on the ship and only found out about the 7.6 quake via Sky News..

I wonder if any cruises have actually stopped at the island, since the tsunami!

Although I've been to Mystery Island on a number of occasions, I always enjoy its relaxed ambience and friendly people.

I'm hoping my children and grandchildren enjoy it next January. and that it's back to 'normal'! :classic_smile:

Thanks everyone for your comments,

MP.

Yeah, as long as the wharf is available, which it is, the rest is pretty much fine. Even if say the cauldron was damaged (unlikely), everything else would be available as normal. The low shrubs and trees won't be impacted to any great degree.

Those that have the stalls and rely on the ship visitors buying things from the stalls are from the island that was most badly hit.  Looking at the photos that have been shared from there it was quite nasty and the school is a mess.