Independence - Our "Sweet" Room

LuCruise

Just back from a 4 night cruise on Independence of the Seas with DH (sans kids this time).  When booking this cruise, we selected a promenade room.  Shortly afterwards, I happened to be on cruise critic (as I typically am 42 times a day) and I saw a post that happened to mention the Ben and Jerry “Sweet”.  It is a little-known secret.  There is only one stateroom on Independence, Liberty and Freedom that is designated as this room, which is room 6305.  After learning of the perks, I immediately checked Royal Caribbean UK site (as it shows all available rooms) and low and behold, it was available for our cruise.  So I called Royal and switched us to this room.

For those that don’t know, the room is a Promenade room and located right above the Ben and Jerry ice cream shop. 

IMG_1502 (Medium).jpeg

We did have some concerns with the room, so I thought I’d give a small review and comments.

Décor – The room is very cute.  It’s not over the top like I’ve seen pictures for Freedom.  There are cows around…a picture over the bed, a hanger over the bathroom door (handy for damp bathing suits), a shelf with nick knacks, a few cows placed on walls…but that’s about it.  Cute though and each one gave us a smile.

784571503_IMG_1522(Medium).thumb.jpeg.3e2bc9844ce409bad2bee4da6f5f6f8f.jpeg

Gold Card and Benefits – There was a delay letting everyone on our ship and thus we got on later than normal and our room wasn't available until 2pm.   Thus, I think room attendants were behind.  We went to our room right at 2pm and there was no letter or anything indicating we were getting these perks.  We had read about the room and saw videos from awhile ago, but since the Concierge lounge changed to the Suites lounge, we weren’t 100% we’d still get the benefits (we still took a chance though and didn’t bother bringing wine on board hoping it was still true).  So we were disappointed there was indication the perks still existed. 

We headed to Guest Services to confirm.  (Nothing like lining up first thing on a cruise with the other 300 people…lol…but the lined moved and wasn’t too bad). The lady at the desk smiled when we said we were in 6305 as she knew what this meant and said, yes we get stuff.  She took our blue Sea Pass cards and replaced them with the Gold Sea Pass, which gave us access to the suite, printed out the paper with all the perks.  For the ice cream passes, we had to get them from the gentleman who works in the Concierge lounge.  Phew....we were all set.  (We didn't really are about the ice cream, but the Suite access was on a huge bonus).

Edited by LuCruise

Noise – Another concern was noise.  We had read comments about Promenade noise in general as well as a service door constantly banging.  We did wonder a few times if we were making a mistake with this room and considered switching rooms.  Also, most promenade rooms on Independence are connecting rooms so that’s always a risk.  So how bad was it?

First, we were next to a service door, but honestly didn’t notice any doors closing or banging that people mentioned.  Maybe we weren’t in the rooms at the “right” time, but this was a non-issue for us.

For a connecting room, you never know what you are going to get as your neighbor.  For us, it wasn’t bad.  We did hear the gentleman clear his throat or something early mornings, and heard the tv around dinner time, but these were fine and not overly bothersome.  Could have been much worse.

As for the room type, we’ve stayed in a Promenade room before on the Allure and didn’t have any real noise issues. To be honest, we don’t care about noise in the day, and even then, any background music that was playing in the Promenade was barely audible in the room.  There was one evening where there was a 70s Disco party that started at 10:30pm.  The room only holds 2 people so I assume it s usually booked by two adults, but in general, if coming with young kids or if you go to bed early, you might want to avoid the area near the bridge.  For us, it was great as we were waiting for the late night comedy show so we sat by the window and we got front row seats to the show (and they even waved at us).  It was quite funny, but that was the only time noise might prevent you from going to bed.

IMG_1547 (Medium).jpeg

Perks – We didn’t take advantage of all perks (and we never got the upgraded bathroom amenities, which is fine as I bring my own shampoo), but we did take advantage of the main ones.   Not like we needed more sweets, but we did have Ben and Jerrys ice cream most days….just because we could.

The one that we did use was the suite lounge.  We would head up around 45 min to 1hr before our dinner.  DH grabbed some Hor d’oeuvres and we'd order drinks.  There is a set list of what you can order (specific wines and alcohol), but it was nice.  We’d order one drink and relax there, and then grab a wine and take it to dinner.  It worked out well.

We also received nice trays of sweets (which were really good), fruit tray, chocolate covered strawberries, cheese tray.  This is not all at once of course but over the nights.  We really didn’t need it, but it was a nice touch (and I assume a perk of the suite rooms). 

With the Gold card, we were also able to sit in the Chops dining area when grabbing food at the Windjammer, but we never bothered as we could find a regular seat with no issue.  There were some other advantages for business travel and breakfast in lounge, but again, we didn’t bother with these.

Glad you had a great cruise. We had this room and it was our worst cruise out of 30. The noise from the slamming door was terrible. We were so tired from getting woke up multiple times per night. We actually tried to change rooms but the ship was full. We did not get gold cards and the concierge DEFINITELY did not treat us as suite guests. Only went to the SL twice. We did have a great cabin steward who brought us bottles of wine throughout the cruise. This cruise taught me to make sure I know what is beside, under, and above whatever cabin I book. We did enjoy the ice cream treats! Also a nice view for the shows on the promenade if maybe a bit loud. That damn door though!

58 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Glad you had a great cruise. We had this room and it was our worst cruise out of 30. The noise from the slamming door was terrible. We were so tired from getting woke up multiple times per night. We actually tried to change rooms but the ship was full. We did not get gold cards and the concierge DEFINITELY did not treat us as suite guests. Only went to the SL twice. We did have a great cabin steward who brought us bottles of wine throughout the cruise. This cruise taught me to make sure I know what is beside, under, and above whatever cabin I book. We did enjoy the ice cream treats! Also a nice view for the shows on the promenade if maybe a bit loud. That damn door though!

Am sorry you had such a bad experience with the room.  The slamming is what worried us, but we didn't even hear it.  I do wear ear plugs at night, but am a light sleeper so not sure.  Maybe we just got lucky?

When was your cruise? That's a shame about the concierge.  We had Junior and he was great.  He knew we were the Ben and Jerry people as we had to get the ice cream tickets from him.  He was always smiling and saying hello.  You must have had back luck with who was assigned that cruise.  That would be a downer for us too.  We found the service in the lounge slow, especially the first night but we just knew to leave enough time before ordering our dinner drink.

For the gold cards, we had to go to Guest Services and ask.

It was quite awhile ago, maybe 10 years. Quite a long time. I am not a light sleeper and that damn door slamming multiple times per night woke me. My wife is a light sleeper so she definitely was awakened each time. You didn't get lucky, they fixed the door. a simple pneumatic closer could fix the problem. It occurred at all hours of the day and night. We are not complaining people and with 30 cruises I think this was the first complaint (other was searching for a lost bottle of wine) we went to guest services with a complaint.

Concierge was rather rude when we told him we were in the B&J suite and would like some tickets to a show. His demeanor changed and told us he would see what he could do and did not get us tickets. Just a bad vibe so we only went twice. This was formal night and I was in a tuxedo and wife in a formal gown so it was not like we were slumming into the SL.

We were so tired every day it was hard to enjoy the cruise. Even trying to nap during the day the door slammed and shook the wall the bed was on, not exaggerating. We were so excited to get this cabin but it was terrible. At least now I book our cabin based on what is around the cabin. That door ruined this cruise for us. Concierge was snobby but I can get that. Cabin steward was great and gave us extra tickets for B&J, wine, and was very nice. Would have been great if we could get a nice night of sleep.

Oh gosh.  I am glad you didn't have any noise issues because we were in the room directly above you in a Family Promenade room on this same cruise.  I had two young children who were jumping and throwing their toys cars.  I kept telling them to stop because people were beneath us. I was incredibly paranoid we were annoying the people in the Sweet. I am relieved that my wild boys didn't ruin your cruise!

1 hour ago, Sunkissed Mommy said:

Oh gosh.  I am glad you didn't have any noise issues because we were in the room directly above you in a Family Promenade room on this same cruise.  I had two young children who were jumping and throwing their toys cars.  I kept telling them to stop because people were beneath us. I was incredibly paranoid we were annoying the people in the Sweet. I am relieved that my wild boys didn't ruin your cruise!

That’s awesome 😂I always worry about my kids too 😖I have three little boys 

4 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

It was quite awhile ago, maybe 10 years. Quite a long time. I am not a light sleeper and that damn door slamming multiple times per night woke me. My wife is a light sleeper so she definitely was awakened each time. You didn't get lucky, they fixed the door. a simple pneumatic closer could fix the problem. It occurred at all hours of the day and night. We are not complaining people and with 30 cruises I think this was the first complaint (other was searching for a lost bottle of wine) we went to guest services with a complaint.

Concierge was rather rude when we told him we were in the B&J suite and would like some tickets to a show. His demeanor changed and told us he would see what he could do and did not get us tickets. Just a bad vibe so we only went twice. This was formal night and I was in a tuxedo and wife in a formal gown so it was not like we were slumming into the SL.

We were so tired every day it was hard to enjoy the cruise. Even trying to nap during the day the door slammed and shook the wall the bed was on, not exaggerating. We were so excited to get this cabin but it was terrible. At least now I book our cabin based on what is around the cabin. That door ruined this cruise for us. Concierge was snobby but I can get that. Cabin steward was great and gave us extra tickets for B&J, wine, and was very nice. Would have been great if we could get a nice night of sleep.

At least things have gotten better and they fixed the issues.  Even better if it wasn't just luck for us, so others don't have the slamming door issue too.  Sorry again you had such a bad experience.  

2 hours ago, Sunkissed Mommy said:

So kind of you being concerned and watching your the noise. We were good. 😊

Hope you enjoyed your cruise.  The kids splash area looked amazing (if they tried it).  

On 12/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, LuCruise said:

We headed to Guest Services to confirm.  (Nothing like lining up first thing on a cruise with the other 300 people…lol…but the lined moved and wasn’t too bad). The lady at the desk smiled when we said we were in 6305 as she knew what this meant and said, yes we get stuff.  She took our blue Sea Pass cards and replaced them with the Gold Sea Pass, which gave us access to the suite, printed out the paper with all the perks. 

OP, thanks for all the great info.  

Would you you happen to have a copy of the paper she printed with all the perks?  I’m considering this cabin for family members on an upcoming cruise on Independence.  

~ Judy

13 hours ago, FloridaPalms said:

OP, thanks for all the great info.  

Would you you happen to have a copy of the paper she printed with all the perks?  I’m considering this cabin for family members on an upcoming cruise on Independence.  

~ Judy

Yes...here is some of the perks (plus the Ben & Jerry daily ice cream).  If you end up booking the stateroom and they find the letter isn't there, then just have them go to Guest Services. They'll need their regular sea pass exchanged anyways for the Gold card.

IMG_1519.JPG

Too add, I should comment that we were happy we booked this room.  We really didn't have any noise issues (aside from when we were having fun watching the 70s Disco singers, but we were awake anyways).  Even the general Promenade music was pretty much drowned out inside the room.  It will be a long time for us to get to Diamond to get some of those nice perks, and since we typically cruise as a family of 4 and these days seems to be 2x a year, we stick with the lower end rooms.  i.e. we'd rather cruise more often in a fine room than less often in a suite-plus.  Thus, it was a great way to experience the "suite-life".  Its fun to do once if available (and just bring ear plugs if any concerns).

LuCruise, thank you for answering my question and supplying a copy of the perks letter.

While the family members I’ve booked have decided to purchase the drink package and remain in the Promenade cabin directly across from my ocean view balcony for our upcoming cruise, they said maybe the next time. 

For anyone one who might be interested, the Ben & Jerry Sweet (6305) was still available as of yesterday for the Independence April 29, 2019 sailing and it’s possible it might be available on a sailing you have already booked.  For my cruise it doesn’t show on up Royal’s USA .com site (that only lists some cabins and I can’t find a way to search for a particular cabin like you could in the past), but Royal’s UK (.co.uk) site lists ALL available cabins. So check there if interested in booking or switching to that cabin. 

~ Judy

1 hour ago, FloridaPalms said:

...  but Royal’s UK (.co.uk) site lists ALL available cabins. So check there if interested in booking or switching to that cabin. 

~ Judy

My experience has been that while Royal's UK site does show many more available staterooms that Royal's US site, it still does not show all available staterooms.

12 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Thanks for the post.  I have my in-laws booked in the Ben & Jerry Suite on the Freedom in March.  I know my father-in-law is looking forward to the perks of accessing the Suite Lounge.

Report back what he thinks of the room.

2 hours ago, FloridaPalms said:

LuCruise, thank you for answering my question and supplying a copy of the perks letter.

While the family members I’ve booked have decided to purchase the drink package and remain in the Promenade cabin directly across from my ocean view balcony for our upcoming cruise, they said maybe the next time. 

For anyone one who might be interested, the Ben & Jerry Sweet (6305) was still available as of yesterday for the Independence April 29, 2019 sailing and it’s possible it might be available on a sailing you have already booked.  For my cruise it doesn’t show on up Royal’s USA .com site (that only lists some cabins and I can’t find a way to search for a particular cabin like you could in the past), but Royal’s UK (.co.uk) site lists ALL available cabins. So check there if interested in booking or switching to that cabin. 

~ Judy

No problem.  I agree that if they purchase the drink package, then it's probably not worth booking this room since really the main perk, was access to the suite lounge in the evenings (for us, anyways).  Hope you enjoy your cruise.