Edge - Dance Music, Live Bands & DJ's ?

bandp407

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, kwokpot said:

Along that lines I NEVER expected to see Ballroom dancing to be offered on The Edge. EDM (Electronic Dance Music) Latin; even maybe Swing Revival but DEFINITELY NOT Ballroom!  

They used to hire dance hosts on Celebrity!!  They got a free cruise to come and dance with the passengers.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:09 AM, Esprit said:

We too dance Ballroom and Latin, and will miss it when we board Edge this Sunday.

My daughter, Valentina, is the currently the activities manager on the Edge and she has said repeatedly there are no slots for Ballroom/Latin dancing in the daily schedules. A shame, but it's not going to ruin our cruise. The silent discos can be fun, so we'll enjoy those.

Curious about who makes up these slots...??? 

Slight program tweaks could make a big difference.  Letting folks dance traditionally  for an hour  without headphones...even with DJ  music  is not asking much...

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, hcat said:

Will there be  wine tasting, cooking expos,  guest  lecturers, concerts in the lobby area, music in Cafe Baccio???..

No, there was none of that.  I did see a wine tasting though when I was exploring.  There were 6 people at it.  The whole Top Chef concept from 3-4 years ago is gone.  No cooking demos.  No music except canned blare!  The grand piano in the martini bar was not used.  We did finally get a guitar player for a hour the last night of the cruise.  When I first got back, I complained that there were no planned activities during the day other than paid spa things and paid exercise classes.  Somebody said, "there were activities!  I went to laser tag!"  He posted a picture with 4 people there!  I don't call that an activity that most cruisers would attend.

We enjoyed our time aboard the Edge despite no ballroom dancing. We attended the Salsa and Merengue dance classes in the RT Garden but missed the Cha Cha class. These were well attended with great instruction from the theatre dancers.

We jived and salsa'd often in The Club. Here the floor is perfect for a slow foxtrot and quickstep but as I said before Miami HQ don't want to provide the music for it.

This venue could definitely be a good place for pre dinner ballroom dancing.

Whatever happens The Club is a bonus compared to Reflection's sky lounge dance floor and the tiny floor in the Grand Foyer

• Thanks 1

That's  good to know about dance lessons..good to refresh! We,ll look for that..

Laser tag and drone races are things folks could do at their  hometown  teen spots. .Not  really  entertainment for  grown ups paying  five and six grand and up up up for a cruise....esp with meh ports.  More like Royal C  family activities.. What's .next ?   a bounce house???

Who is this  "Miami"  that calls the shots?  Not getting good guidance in my opinion...

18 hours ago, hcat said:

That's  good to know about dance lessons.

Who is this  "Miami"  that calls the shots?  Not getting good guidance in my opinion...

The Miami people were Presidents and Vice Presidents (both Celebrity and RCCL) together with their minions who were on board for the "Employee shakedown cruise" prior to the naming ceremony. 

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

The Miami people were Presidents and Vice Presidents (both Celebrity and RCCL) together with their minions who were on board for the "Employee shakedown cruise" prior to the naming ceremony. 

They may be great at business but  seem to have little grasp on Modern Luxury or upscale, chic  and classy!  Maybe they don't want to be that  brand anymore but still want to command the big fares!

Hope your dtr and other staff are  not beset with  too many complaints as they are the face of X on board,  but it  seems they have very little discretion.

.Waiting for  more reviews to see if changes in programming have been made, 

Counting down to Sailaway!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, CruiseLady88 said:

Edge is not for us and our dance friends. We love ballroom dancing. No ballroom and it means we won’t consider EDGE at all.

No Celebrity ship is really geared toward ballroom style dancing. I know djs provide a bit on some ships, but even Holland America has eliminated live bands playing ballroom style music. Too bad, because their two story Queens Lounge on their new ships provides a nice sized dance floor with a stage large enough to support a great big band! Cunard probably is your best bet, both in the dance opportunities and their offer of a classier, more formal feel.

• Like 1

Note that most info on this thread was from early sailings in December.  Some of the 3 day pre-cruise types too.  There was plenty of music and dancing on Edge on our late January cruise.  But I do not remember ballroom dancing sorry.

I noticed that most of the info on this thread was from earlier sailings on the Edge as well.  Can anyone who has sailed on the Edge tell me what kind of music is played where on the ship?   What do they play in the Club?  What do they play in the Grand Plaza?  What do they play on the Rooftop Garden? 

There are a variety of individuals, duos, trios and larger bands playing at various venues throughout the day and evening. There may be jazz in the Grand Plaza earlier in the day and a larger group playing classic rock in the evening. We saw an individual guitarist playing in the rooftop garden in the afternoon and I have seen pictures of larger groups there at different times of the day. The club has live groups and DJs. The White party on deck around the pool one night had a great live band playing more current music followed by a great DJ. Live music back in Eden as well. No one style of music in any venue. Lots of options. Loved the cruise!

• Like 1

I was on in late January so the music has changed some, though some of the entertainers from last week were the same. We had two excellent bands, a duo, a singer/guitarist, female singer, Edge Ensemble Band (excellent) and DJ's. Sometimes the entertainers would get together to perform. The music was very good, with a lot of choices. There was some dancing (can see it in the daily).

Here are a couple of dailies to give you an idea what was in each venue.

image.thumb.png.e53178e9e5be75784579d02fdee0523b.png

image.thumb.png.01d14b725373e8257a76916da783b255.png

Here is a brochure that lists the concert series on the second page.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/Entertainment-live_music_Flyer.pdf

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

There are a variety of individuals, duos, trios and larger bands playing at various venues throughout the day and evening. There may be jazz in the Grand Plaza earlier in the day and a larger group playing classic rock in the evening. We saw an individual guitarist playing in the rooftop garden in the afternoon and I have seen pictures of larger groups there at different times of the day. The club has live groups and DJs. The White party on deck around the pool one night had a great live band playing more current music followed by a great DJ. Live music back in Eden as well. No one style of music in any venue. Lots of options. Loved the cruise!

Thanks for the info, twodjs.  I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

I was on in late January so the music has changed some, though some of the entertainers from last week were the same. We had two excellent bands, a duo, a singer/guitarist, female singer, Edge Ensemble Band (excellent) and DJ's. Sometimes the entertainers would get together to perform. The music was very good, with a lot of choices. There was some dancing (can see it in the daily).

Here are a couple of dailies to give you an idea what was in each venue.

image.thumb.png.e53178e9e5be75784579d02fdee0523b.png

image.thumb.png.01d14b725373e8257a76916da783b255.png

Here is a brochure that lists the concert series on the second page.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/Entertainment-live_music_Flyer.pdf

This is really helpful, vtcruising.  Thank you.  I saw Salsa class on one of the Dailies, so I am a happy camper! 

• Like 1