tipping the luggage handlers at the cruise terminal

bussub

My personal thoughts is that people here are spinning lies and BS about tipping people in Australia and at baggage terminals. In all my experience working with other Australians and in industries where it is allegedly practised and even discussing it with other workers the general consensus is that it definitely does not occur in Australia by Australians.

Then again looking at the numbers of people from these boards who turn up to the meet and greet on ships, they would only represent 2% of the passenger complement at any one time and even on here opinions do not represent a broad spectrum of what society thinks is normal.

The problem with forums is that mob mentality rules and people are sheep and will only write what they see as socially acceptable. That is how russian and chinese hackers can use social media to influence public opinion because they know in comments sections that psychologically people are sheep and follow others. I am not like that. I always write exactly what I think and do not care what others think or not. 

45 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

My personal thoughts is that people here are spinning lies and BS about tipping people in Australia and at baggage terminals. In all my experience working with other Australians and in industries where it is allegedly practised and even discussing it with other workers the general consensus is that it definitely does not occur in Australia by Australians.

Then again looking at the numbers of people from these boards who turn up to the meet and greet on ships, they would only represent 2% of the passenger complement at any one time and even on here opinions do not represent a broad spectrum of what society thinks is normal.

The problem with forums is that mob mentality rules and people are sheep and will only write what they see as socially acceptable. That is how russian and chinese hackers can use social media to influence public opinion because they know in comments sections that psychologically people are sheep and follow others. I am not like that. I always write exactly what I think and do not care what others think or not. 

I resent those remarks.

8 hours ago, gbenjo said:

There are no waterside workers that collect luggage at The OPT or White Bay.  Luggage is collected by a private firm of baggage handlers ( not unionised thank god)  and they do not earn anywhere near $105k a year.Please do not make wild unfounded comments like that ..or did you get your info from Sutho

Surely they do... to keep relativities with your $150k/year... ;-p

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I resent those remarks.

Resent what exactly, the fact that I am not gullible or that social media can be used to manipulate the weak minded into a majority rules game as we have seen with world governments using social media to create bot accounts to manipulate the gullible and foolish people in the world.

I am always careful with forums because they turn into a mob mentality game. If you are interested in the psychology of it then check this out - 

Yep, we often do this at work. A loud beeping sound goes off in the office and everyone immediately gets their bags, etc and leaves the building without being told what to do or where to go. Similar things happen on the ship. There is a loud noise and people go and grab their life jackets and head to a lounge. Amazing, like Pavlov's dog.

• Haha 1