tipping the luggage handlers at the cruise terminal

bussub

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

......and I tip more at the end if he/she has earned it. When I was in business my employees always got a Xmas bonus, is this not a tip?

If you came across a person with a mental disability who has found a job in customer service, would you be prepared to tip them the exact same amount as a charming, charismatic and people orientated person in the same industry???

If not, which I suspect is the case with many, then it just indicates that this practice is nothing more than a form of bullying that rewards certain people and isolates others.

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

But I do believe he is or was a coach driver out Ayers Rock way, or to be politically correct - Uluru, :classic_blush: now plenty of tips there,  pass the hat around for the driver.:classic_ohmy:  Tis Christmas I must be gentle and kind.

It is under a dual naming practice. Incidentally drivers there be it seasonally or full time are pulling in well over $100,000 per year in wages alone. When you add up the base wage with allowances, and other extras added to the base salary you can expect any tourist coach driver to be earning over $35 per hour during the week day with penalty rates enforced for weekends. Most companies will work their drivers between 10 to 12 hours per day. At Ayers Rock Resort base you are paid for days between 14 to 16 hours but are only allowed to physically work no more than 12 hours, the rest is fatigue management and rest while at a waiting area. Most companies also work their drivers 6 days per week.

The full time drivers there pull in over $100,000 per year with some who put in the hours getting over $150,000 per year.

With money like that who needs tips.

15 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

If you came across a person with a mental disability who has found a job in customer service, would you be prepared to tip them the exact same amount as a charming, charismatic and people orientated person in the same industry???

If not, which I suspect is the case with many, then it just indicates that this practice is nothing more than a form of bullying that rewards certain people and isolates others.

The fact you are inferring that someone who is not charming, charismatic and people orientated must have a mental disability, or worse that someone with a mental disability cannot be charming, charismatic and a people orientated person is a terrible slur.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

......and I tip more at the end if he/she has earned it. When I was in business my employees always got a Xmas bonus, is this not a tip?

No, because you are the actual employer so it is part of their wages.

Also, I assume you didn't discriminate over which employees got the biggest bonuses based on who schmoozed the best, who was the best looking and who happened to be under your nose at Christmas time.

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The fact you are inferring that someone who is not charming, charismatic and people orientated must have a mental disability, or worse that someone with a mental disability cannot be charming, charismatic and a people orientated person is a terrible slur.

No I am saying that I am in a workplace now where people with a mental disability are employed, they are doing a good job and bring a lot to the workplace and take the workload off others so we are all less stressed. There is a strict no tipping policy in this workplace and we are told to turn them down because it has come to managements attention that tips are discriminatory and that the mentally challenged people never seem to get offered tips where the outgoing people always do. Management had to put a stop to it.

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

As a person who has spent a considerable part of his spare time as a volunteer at the Spastic Centre in Sydney I have learned to look past disabilities of all kinds, and understand that beneath whatever you see is a human being worthy of respect equal to any other.

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

No I am saying that I am in a workplace now where people with a mental disability are employed, they are doing a good job and bring a lot to the workplace and take the workload off others so we are all less stressed. There is a strict no tipping policy in this workplace and we are told to turn them down because it has come to managements attention that tips are discriminatory and that the mentally challenged people never seem to get offered tips where the outgoing people always do. Management had to put a stop to it.

Not sure that makes your point stronger at all.

I have done coach tours with Trafalgar, Insight, Scenic, Gray Line etc all over the world, well in OZ, NZ, USA, Canada, UK and Europe anyway.  The coach driver and/or the Tour Director always gratefully cops the tips.  Tax free those ones.  The cruise shorex bus drivers also accept the tips.

Edited by NSWP

Still in regards to this and porters, the best advice is to not even bother tipping. The majority are against it and it makes no sense in Australia.

Again you could have two porters working side by side as an example. A large Australian group comes in and hands a bundle of suitcases and the porter gets no tips, then the next porter looks after a foreign couple who tips. One gets cash the other does not. It is not a fair system. It is a discriminatory and segregated system that is nothing more than mean and nasty.

6 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

It is under a dual naming practice. Incidentally drivers there be it seasonally or full time are pulling in well over $100,000 per year in wages alone. When you add up the base wage with allowances, and other extras added to the base salary you can expect any tourist coach driver to be earning over $35 per hour during the week day with penalty rates enforced for weekends. Most companies will work their drivers between 10 to 12 hours per day. At Ayers Rock Resort base you are paid for days between 14 to 16 hours but are only allowed to physically work no more than 12 hours, the rest is fatigue management and rest while at a waiting area. Most companies also work their drivers 6 days per week.

The full time drivers there pull in over $100,000 per year with some who put in the hours getting over $150,000 per year.

With money like that who needs tips.

Wow.. so Sutho/KarateMan//Brisbane41 earns well over a hundred grand ($35/hour) ( not including tips)just for driving a bus around ......no wonder he looks down on the rest of us as lowly plebs 😱😱

9 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Wow.. so Sutho/KarateMan//Brisbane41 earns well over a hundred grand ($35/hour) ( not including tips)just for driving a bus around ......no wonder he looks down on the rest of us as lowly plebs 😱😱

Some of us won’t get out of bed for $35 an hour🤪🥳

14 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Some of us won’t get out of bed for $35 an hour🤪🥳

$35 an hour, wow, I need a bus drivers licence, but then I certainly won't get out of bed without any tipping. :classic_tongue:

58 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Still in regards to this and porters, the best advice is to not even bother tipping. The majority are against it and it makes no sense in Australia.

Again you could have two porters working side by side as an example. A large Australian group comes in and hands a bundle of suitcases and the porter gets no tips, then the next porter looks after a foreign couple who tips. One gets cash the other does not. It is not a fair system. It is a discriminatory and segregated system that is nothing more than mean and nasty.

Well each Porter should put it in the tipping pool, like waitstaff in restaurants.  End of shift - divvy up.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

$35 an hour, wow, I need a bus drivers licence, but then I certainly won't get out of bed without any tipping. :classic_tongue:

I once ( well a couple of times actually ..till I asked them  not to) had this really nice couple from Canberra who gave me chocolates every time I checked them in.. not sure if S/KM/B41 would approve but then again I don't earn $35 an hour ...and I get out of bed........... at 3:50 in the morning 😱

5 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I once ( well a couple of times actually ..till I asked them  not to) had this really nice couple from Canberra who gave me chocolates every time I checked them in.. not sure if S/KM/B41 would approve but then again I don't earn $35 an hour ...and I get out of bed........... at 3:50 in the morning 😱

Okay, I get the hint for the 29th when we check in for the Explorer of the Seas.

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Okay, I get the hint for the 29th when we check in for the Explorer of the Seas.

NO NO?... I hate that filthy custom..I am changing my name Northo/elephant man/ Sydney 42  or whatever...I don't want to share my chocolates with anyone 😱😱😡

Amazing how childish the comments are on here from people who are purportedly sane adults, it beggars belief if they are right in the head.

None the less in my entire life that I have lived in Australia, I have never ever tipped anyone. As an Australian I find the custom offensive, belittling, demeaning, an act of snobbery and elitism. I find boasts about giving them in Australia nothing more than social climbing to impress international friends (assuming they have any).

I am 100% convinced that the vast majority of Australians are against this abhorrent practice.

For the past 6 months I have been studying Japanese language intensely to take their annual test that was on 2nd December. I have been to Japan twice this year and also last year. That also is a country that does not accept the tipping culture, they outwardly refuse to take tips and make a point of not accepting them.

The original question was if it was appropriate to tip the baggage staff in Australia. The answer by all was most definitely not.

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Some of us don’t get into bed for less than $35.

😘🤑😈

But still probably have done more cruises than you and racked up more nights than you which is pretty sad for you when you come to think about it.