tipping the luggage handlers at the cruise terminal

bussub

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It would be nice if I got the occasional tip for being a passenger on the cruise.

Didn't I give you a tip once?.".......Don't go to the buffet on debark day and expect to get a table immediately.😁

3 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Don't you think you are old enough to be beyond this form of childish and irresponsible behaviour? come on seriously I work with school children and they have more maturity than you when I am driving them on a daily basis. If you have ever been on a cruise and turned up to the meet and greet and see the low turn out and lack of interest and then see the comments on these boards it is not hard to understand why. All the young modern sophisticates are turning away from these boards in droves because of old fuddy duddies like yourself who post immature, childish rot. It is no wonder why meet and greets are no success on ships when people post garbage like this who are supposed to be sane adults and hold responsible jobs. Wonders will never cease.

Sorry, you've completely lost me there.

Someone makes a joke about someone with multiple identities,  who gets aggressive in their opinionated posts to others - and that somehow causes a low turnout at meet and greets on board???

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

The problem is that it is not the same for everyone.

All I can say is that tipping discriminates.

People discriminate.

A fixed wage does not discriminate.

Well it does when that wage is negotiated in secret. You can get the same favouritism that you condemned in tipping as you can in wage grants.

11 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

So you finally admit to not tipping porters at the terminal, yet you and others have persisted in a weird pro tipping campaign........

At least with me when I write something people know exactly what my stance is.

Oh yes it is quite clearly a HUA pose.

Well, I have to plead guilty with an explanation, Mr Gut will get me a Section 10 Dismissal at the Local Court.....I do tip the luggage porters if they are pleasant and proficient and don't throw my luggage around too much - if I see it anyway.  Irrespective of the country I am in, OPT Sydney included. I just say, thanks mate, have a drink and give the worker $5, or if in Southampton perhaps a 2 pound coin.  Same with a shuttle bus driver, $5 for a drink if they drive ok and assist with our luggage.

I also tip a wait person in a restaurant here if they are pleasant and proficient, not a lot of money, say the bill is $75 I would give them $80.  None of this 20% or 25% tipping they want in the US of A.  I shall be in Honolulu in May, I will tip the minimum required on the bill, which is generally 15%.

Tipping is a personal thing.  

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Well, I have to plead guilty with an explanation, Mr Gut will get me a Section 10 Dismissal at the Local Court.....I do tip the luggage porters if they are pleasant and proficient and don't throw my luggage around too much - if I see it anyway.  Irrespective of the country I am in, OPT Sydney included. I just say, thanks mate, have a drink and give the worker $5, or if in Southampton perhaps a 2 pound coin.  Same with a shuttle bus driver, $5 for a drink if they drive ok and assist with our luggage.

I also tip a wait person in a restaurant here if they are pleasant and proficient, not a lot of money, say the bill is $75 I would give them $80.  None of this 20% or 25% tipping they want in the US of A.  I shall be in Honolulu in May, I will tip the minimum required on the bill, which is generally 15%.

OMG........ What if it is a Japanese Restaurant.. Surely you dont tip then do you?🤔

Edited by gbenjo

17 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

OMG........ What if it is a Japanese Restaurant.. Surely you dont tip then do you?🤔

Of course, been to Japan, I gave the hotel waiters and bellboy a few Yen, they took it.  Uncle Les is a generous fellow you know.  Made round to go round.

Edited by NSWP

I long ago put sutho/karateman/b-41 on my ignore list (for obvious reasons) & only see his posts when others quote him (a definite failing of cc 🙂 ). It is interesting that bullies fail to self-recognise bullying.

I regret I am not cruising this week, as i would like to slip the baggage lads, and maybe even a check-in agent, a tip and wish them Merry Christmas from brisbane41. Likewise my barber, and maybe a bus driver or two.

Last night we went for dinner with good friends and left a tip for the girl who served us. The sun still rose this morning. We are going out for dinner again tonight with other friends, so likely a small tip again.

I think, with minor differences, that most agree tipping is up to the individual in Australia, not expected but welcomed. 

Trust the OP has had his question answered, and recognises that we are all not mad downunder.

35 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I think, with minor differences, that most agree tipping is up to the individual in Australia, not expected but welcomed. 

Trust the OP has had his question answered, and recognises that we are all not mad downunder.

Great post.

Why would an Australian cruise passenger tip a waterside worker [MUA] for taking their luggage to be loaded.  

Police Sergents in NSW earn around $105,000 per year.  The luggage loader earns nearly double that amount.

So lets keep the tipping curse out of Australia.

As far as I have seen at both Sydney cruise terminals there are NO PORTERS & it is easy to off load your bags & have them picked up quickly by the waterside worker.  

• Like 1

Lol SeaDog - I must admit I have often said to my US friends when they are visiting and trying to hand out tips willynilly "you do realise that person you are trying to grease with a $2coin earns double your own income!"  

My suggestion to many of my visitors is that when they just can't help themselves and are just plain desperate to tip - walk over to the nearby homeless person (because there is no shortage of them here in Melb and every other city) and give them the cash instead. 

6 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Why would an Australian cruise passenger tip a waterside worker [MUA] for taking their luggage to be loaded.  

Police Sergents in NSW earn around $105,000 per year.  The luggage loader earns nearly double that amount.

So lets keep the tipping curse out of Australia.

As far as I have seen at both Sydney cruise terminals there are NO PORTERS & it is easy to off load your bags & have them picked up quickly by the waterside worker.  

There are no waterside workers that collect luggage at The OPT or White Bay.  Luggage is collected by a private firm of baggage handlers ( not unionised thank god)  and they do not earn anywhere near $105k a year.Please do not make wild unfounded comments like that ..or did you get your info from Sutho

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

I was thinking S.32