tipping the luggage handlers at the cruise terminal

bussub

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

And No tips for any of you childish responders.

Alright seems as you seem to love this topic, please enlighten us to the following:

1. Do you tip the luggage handlers at cruise terminals in Australia?

2. If Yes, how much?

3. If No then what is your problem?

9 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

But still probably have done more cruises than you and racked up more nights than you which is pretty sad for you when you come to think about it.

Number of cruises is not really a currency that impresses me.

Sorry to disappoint you.

6 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Alright seems as you seem to love this topic, please enlighten us to the following:

2. If Yes, how much?

No, Nothing and I don't have a problem with no tipping in Australia.

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Number of cruises is not really a currency that impresses me.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Well it is all that will impress me on these forums. 

Perhaps you would care to also answer if you:

1 Tip the luggage handlers?

2 if so how much?

3 if no then what is your interest in this topic?

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

No, Nothing and I don't have a problem with no tipping in Australia.

So you finally admit to not tipping porters at the terminal, yet you and others have persisted in a weird pro tipping campaign........

At least with me when I write something people know exactly what my stance is.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, MicCanberra said:

There is no tip required but then you will likely have to lug your bags to the area where they take them,  as opposed to them coming to meet you at the taxi or shuttle at the roadside. 

10 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

So you finally admit to not tipping porters at the terminal, yet you and others have persisted in a weird pro tipping campaign........

At least with me when I write something people know exactly what my stance is.

No, not finally at all, I had said that in the 4th post. 

However, I do have an problem with how you state that people with mental health issues or mental disabilities are automatically not charming, lack charisma or a not people persons. I know many that are all that and more.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

NO NO?... I hate that filthy custom..I am changing my name Northo/elephant man/ Sydney 42  or whatever...I don't want to share my chocolates with anyone 😱😱😡

Don't you think you are old enough to be beyond this form of childish and irresponsible behaviour? come on seriously I work with school children and they have more maturity than you when I am driving them on a daily basis. If you have ever been on a cruise and turned up to the meet and greet and see the low turn out and lack of interest and then see the comments on these boards it is not hard to understand why. All the young modern sophisticates are turning away from these boards in droves because of old fuddy duddies like yourself who post immature, childish rot. It is no wonder why meet and greets are no success on ships when people post garbage like this who are supposed to be sane adults and hold responsible jobs. Wonders will never cease.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

No, not finally at all, I had said that in the 4th post. 

However, I do have an problem with how you state that people with mental health issues or mental disabilities are automatically not charming, lack charisma or a not people persons. I know many that are all that and more.

Then perhaps you should ask me directly because I too have a problem with this. I work with autistic people and I know people who are. It is a sad fact of life that these people are never offered tips and always finish last. Particularly in jobs where people are peer reviewed and are terminated if "they are not one of the boys" and simply "do not fit in" they do not have a job. That is why I am also against tipping because at least the fixed wage system in Australia puts everyone on an even ground.

9 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

2. If Yes, how much?

Excuse me..but it is none of your business if anyone tips or not or how much it may be..it is their prerogative  and don't need anyone preaching to them that they should not just because that is the way they feel. I could not care less if people choose to tip or not but I don't like some self opinionated knob telling me  or anybody else what to do. The original poster simply asked what he should do so as not to offend anyone, as he comes from a country where tipping is a way of life and does not need to be told his way of life is a filthy custom. All that is really needed to be said is, tip if you wish, but do not be concerned if you don't. I guess I have some first hand insight into this and yes, even though tipping is not neccessary the baggage porters, guys and girls, all would enjoy a token of appreciation for their efforts.

17 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Then perhaps you should ask me directly because I too have a problem with this. I work with autistic people and I know people who are. It is a sad fact of life that these people are never offered tips and always finish last. Particularly in jobs where people are peer reviewed and are terminated if "they are not one of the boys" and simply "do not fit in" they do not have a job. That is why I am also against tipping because at least the fixed wage system in Australia puts everyone on an even ground.

I did and yet you defended your stance, as you do here again by saying that they are always finishing last. I do NOT AGREE, many do quite well and out perform others with no disability in my workplace, they are respected and are all an equal part of the workforce.

2 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Excuse me..but it is none of your business if anyone tips or not or how much it may be..it is their prerogative  and don't need anyone preaching to them that they should not just because that is the way they feel. I could not care less if people choose to tip or not but I don't like some self opinionated knob telling me  or anybody else what to do. The original poster simply asked what he should do so as not to offend anyone, as he comes from a country where tipping is a way of life and does not need to be told his way of life is a filthy custom. All that is really needed to be said is, tip if you wish, but do not be concerned if you don't. I guess I have some first hand insight into this and yes, even though tipping is not neccessary the baggage porters, guys and girls, all would enjoy a token of appreciation for their efforts.

It is my business if they are going to defend, promote or support the custom on a public forum.

What a lot of foreign tourists fail to understand is that it is perceived as highly offensive in certain countries. In Japan it is considered an insult. There are still many places in Australia that are not touched by international tourism that it is considered an insult. The language used to describe it as a filthy custom will certainly add to their knowledge to be very careful when pulling out the wallet in this country.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I did and yet you defended your stance, as you do here again by saying that they are always finishing last. I do NOT AGREE, many do quite well and out perform others with no disability in my workplace, they are respected and are all an equal part of the workforce.

The problem is that it is not the same for everyone.

All I can say is that tipping discriminates.

People discriminate.

A fixed wage does not discriminate.

2 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

It is my business if they are going to defend, promote or support the custom on a public forum.

What a lot of foreign tourists fail to understand is that it is perceived as highly offensive in certain countries. In Japan it is considered an insult. There are still many places in Australia that are not touched by international tourism that it is considered an insult. The language used to describe it as a filthy custom will certainly add to their knowledge to be very careful when pulling out the wallet in this country.

We are not in Japan, and I have never known anyone in Australia to be offended (apart from you) by being offered a tip, although most would likely say it is not necessary.  

24 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Don't you think you are old enough to be beyond this form of childish and irresponsible behaviour? come on seriously I work with school children and they have more maturity than you when I am driving them on a daily basis. If you have ever been on a cruise and turned up to the meet and greet and see the low turn out and lack of interest and then see the comments on these boards it is not hard to understand why. All the young modern sophisticates are turning away from these boards in droves because of old fuddy duddies like yourself who post immature, childish rot. It is no wonder why meet and greets are no success on ships when people post garbage like this who are supposed to be sane adults and hold responsible jobs. Wonders will never cease.

*****???......There are many of us on this forum who like to have a laugh and enjoy some lighthearted banter a not berate anyone who does not share the same opinion as them. I appreciate you like to speak your mind but for Petes sake..  LIGHTEN UP

PS. .Are you one of those young modern sophisticates......or only think you are?