Cruise Critic Community
bobnfl

Travel Insurance?

Just out of curiosity when do you buy your travel insurance? Do you buy when you book or just before you pay in full or just before you leave on your cruise? I have done all 3. 

If you wait until last minute, pre-existing conditions may not be covered. And we all know insurance companies don't try anything possible not to pay.

I purchase it the day that I book the cruise.  I don't wait until the last minute to do anything - except to print out our boarding passes for a flight.

My travel agent has a policy that if it is bought at final payment, it covers pre-existing conditions. So I book that through her. The coverage is so much better than Princess's coverage.

If you have pre-existing conditions - you have to look at the fine print.

On 12/15/2018 at 12:30 PM, elliair said:

I purchase it the day that I book the cruise.  I don't wait until the last minute to do anything - except to print out our boarding passes for a flight.

Just curious...  we booked a cruise for 2020 and final payment isn't due until Feb 2020.  It's the first time we've booked so far in advance of the cruise.  

If I purchased the Travel Insurance when I booked the cruise (using Future Cruise Credits), and then have to cancel before final payment is due, do I get a FULL REFUND on the Insurance??

I usually wait until final payment and purchase insurance then.  

2 minutes ago, mikjr said:

If I purchased the Travel Insurance when I booked the cruise (using Future Cruise Credits), and then have to cancel before final payment is due, do I get a FULL REFUND on the Insurance??

I used to do this to cover pre-existing conditions (book at deposit). At the time, most insurance companies would allow you to transfer the money to a different trip. They would not refund the money. Not sure if this has changed.

I no longer have to do this due to a change at my TA with her policies.

Edited by Coral

In my experience, travel insurance is NOT refundable.  If you are lucky, you may be able to transfer it to another trip, as Coral says, but insurance companies change their policies all the time!