Lugging indoor furniture outside...good idea?

MaggieAtSea

I’m wondering what you think..

There have been quite a few posts about taking vanity stools and indoor chairs and tables outside on the verandas  to make up for the inferior furniture out there. Anyone else wondering what the condition of that indoor furniture will be three months from now? The sea air can’t be great for it I should think! 

I’m reading about sky suite and aft verandas doing furniture swaps...

...true enough that it is Celebrity’s problem, but cannot help but think of some passenger needing to deal with it first...

...heaven help us, it won’t drive Edge prices even higher, will it???  Lol!

Once you are actually staying in the cabin you may find yourself wanting to move furniture around too. The rocking chair in the Sky Suite is very comfortable but it is too large for the room. It does fit out on the balcony though and works wonderfully there by swapping it with one of the balcony chairs. Interestingly enough all the pillows on the chair were that sunbrella type fabric that you usually find on outdoor furniture.

We plan to bring  the outdoor table inside as a coffee table,  and swap with the tom tom...maybe it will take less space in the Enclosed Veranda space!

Hope we can also use the garb can upside down with a pillow as a footrest  .

Modern Luxury!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We plan to bring  the outdoor table inside as a coffee table,  and swap with the tom tom...maybe it will take less space in the Enclosed Veranda space!

Hope we can also use the garb can upside down with a pillow as a footrest  .

Modern Luxury!

Yeah, we would move the table in or out as needed.

I agree that placing indoor furniture outside is a delicate matter, but also agree that the rocking chair in Sky Suites is probably a tad oversized for the room. While I think aesthetically it’s a beautiful piece, its size impedes outward views of the ocean while also impeding flow around the room. You either limit the area around the sofa, access to the drawers, or ingress / egress to balcony. We were only on for a three-day preview cruise, so dealt with it as an oversized indoor art piece, but from the photos I have seen here, I think it looks *perfect* as an addition on the balcony in not only appearance but also practicality (in terms of comfort/size, I cannot speak to durability or ability to withstand outdoor conditions).

Our Sky Suite had bigger issues with regard to wear and tear and that was overflow from the shower / tub. Water collected on the floor in significant quantities after each shower even if we aimed the water away from the ledge. It still collected and overflowed toward the floor, usually pooling around the vanity stool. That item will not last long with that type of water exposure. As a temporary but poor fix, they appeared to have attempted to “glue” a white tray onto the tub ledge for soap and other amenity storage. And of course there was that cheap plastic “guard” on the other side which did nothing.

In my humble opinion the bathtub fittings in Sky Suites are of overall low quality compared to S Class. They photograph nicely but don’t feel very high end. Almost like a plastic tub overlay you see advertised on TV.

But the concept is amazing and I bet it gets better on Apex and future Edge sisters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrLihrnByWd/

3A81055F-2B6E-4C30-A854-393160E1EE9B.jpeg

7 hours ago, jsea said:

I agree that placing indoor furniture outside is a delicate matter, but also agree that the rocking chair in Sky Suites is probably a tad oversized for the room. While I think aesthetically it’s a beautiful piece, its size impedes outward views of the ocean while also impeding flow around the room. You either limit the area around the sofa, access to the drawers, or ingress / egress to balcony. We were only on for a three-day preview cruise, so dealt with it as an oversized indoor art piece, but from the photos I have seen here, I think it looks *perfect* as an addition on the balcony in not only appearance but also practicality (in terms of comfort/size, I cannot speak to durability or ability to withstand outdoor conditions).

Our Sky Suite had bigger issues with regard to wear and tear and that was overflow from the shower / tub. Water collected on the floor in significant quantities after each shower even if we aimed the water away from the ledge. It still collected and overflowed toward the floor, usually pooling around the vanity stool. That item will not last long with that type of water exposure. As a temporary but poor fix, they appeared to have attempted to “glue” a white tray onto the tub ledge for soap and other amenity storage. And of course there was that cheap plastic “guard” on the other side which did nothing.

In my humble opinion the bathtub fittings in Sky Suites are of overall low quality compared to S Class. They photograph nicely but don’t feel very high end. Almost like a plastic tub overlay you see advertised on TV.

But the concept is amazing and I bet it gets better on Apex and future Edge sisters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrLihrnByWd/

3A81055F-2B6E-4C30-A854-393160E1EE9B.jpeg

I agree that they need to fix the bath tubs - safety issue and, as you said, it will cause damage. I have to say, when the water started dripping from my ceiling within the first few hours of being there, my thought was the tub/shower above us. Luckily, it was just the AC drainage system leaking and fixed within an hour or so.

We worked around our chair too in the ocean-facing bed S1 (though wasn't an issue for the aft S1 with bed against outside wall) - really is a pretty piece, but you are right, a tad big. Maybe they should weatherize them and put them on the balcony with a pretty grey footstool and put a smaller version of the rocker inside.

BTW, nice shot through the bathroom mirror/window - can't wait until January!!😊

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I agree that they need to fix the bath tubs - safety issue and, as you said, it will cause damage. I have to say, when the water started dripping from my ceiling within the first few hours of being there, my thought was the tub/shower above us. Luckily, it was just the AC drainage system leaking and fixed within an hour or so.

We worked around our chair too in the ocean-facing bed S1 (though wasn't an issue for the aft S1 with bed against outside wall) - really is a pretty piece, but you are right, a tad big. Maybe they should weatherize them and put them on the balcony with a pretty grey footstool and put a smaller version of the rocker inside.

BTW, nice shot through the bathroom mirror/window - can't wait until January!!😊

I keep noticing the differences in the ceiling lights (indentations) between the S1's and S1 afts.  Interesting...and I will miss that beautiful view through the bathroom to the sea...suzy...the furniture will be moved around for sure, unless it is bolted to the floor!

Edited by Lastdance

Mirror inside bathroom is partitioned and can be slid open to any degree as desired by occupant. If sharing the room with someone with whom privacy is desired, it will likely remained closed at most times. 

An improvement for Apex and future sisters will be a heated mirror and window mechanism. They both fog quickly which diminishes the appeal of the feature. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jsea said:

An improvement for Apex and future sisters will be a heated mirror and window mechanism. They both fog quickly which diminishes the appeal of the feature. 

I wonder if the mirror is heated in the S1 afts or if it is the same type of mirror...

I loved brushing my teeth and looking at the ocean.  I never would have thought I would like the open mirror/window concept, but absolutely loved it. We often left it open - the balcony was very private with solid walls on each side. If someone tried to peek, it was at their own risk. 😉

2 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

:classic_huh: So does one lounge around in the bathroom with the window down in order to look at the sea? 

LOL. That's what I wondered. When I was in the bathroom I was either in the toilet room, which has a door, in the shower and busy soaping or shampooing and not needing my other half to have a view of me washing my nether regions or at the sink needing use of the mirror. I think the money used to create that unnecessary feature could've been used to purchase footstools or a bigger table for the balcony.

Maybe it’s because I’m a Real Estate Developer that I am just befuddled by the many strange choices they have made for this ship.

It seems they have tried to be innovative but have left common sense behind in the process. When designing it’s necessary to consider how things work and not just how they look.

I really was hoping that my concerns about a lot of the things I saw and heard along the way would have been taken care of but it seems that there are even more poor design choices than I expected. I hope they can find a way to make things better but it almost seems like they are willing to “go down with the ship”. It makes me sad to see. I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

Maybe it’s because I’m a Real Estate Developer that I am just befuddled by the many strange choices they have made for this ship.

It seems they have tried to be innovative but have left common sense behind in the process. When designing it’s necessary to consider how things work and not just how they look.

I really was hoping that my concerns about a lot of the things I saw and heard along the way would have been taken care of but it seems that there are even more poor design choices than I expected. I hope they can find a way to make things better but it almost seems like they are willing to “go down with the ship”. It makes me sad to see. I hope I’m wrong.

We might have to wait for APEX to hopefully get things right.

I don’t know how they could have screwed up the furniture so badly.

The rocking chair is much too big for the room, and it is definitely going out on the balcony on our Feb b2b cruise.

I hope that the flood of complaints will cause them to reconsider, and put appropriate furniture on the balcony, as on the other Celebrity ships.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We might have to wait for APEX to hopefully get things right.

We have 2 booked on EDGE...but for us there will be no APEX.

Waiting to see what they do on S Class ships...if they retain  outdoor balcs,  that would be our choice.

Just dropped our Edge reservation and picked up an S-class PH for just under 1/2 the price.  Concerns about balcony, I’ll-fitting furniture, questions about Luminae, but PH for over 1/2 price of our Edge sailing.  That really is the definitive bottom line.

14 hours ago, hcat said:

We have 2 booked on EDGE...but for us there will be no APEX.

Waiting to see what they do on S Class ships...if they retain  outdoor balcs,  that would be our choice.

We are only trying Edge once before we even think about booking a second voyage.  Apex is booking now but we will not book that either until we understand if any changes are in the works.  We love both S-Class and M-Class and we will see what the renovations bring.  I do think S-Class will retain outdoor standard balconies.  Not so sure about M-Class since they are replacing whole cabin modules.  Currently our next two Celebrity cruises after Edge are on Eclipse and Reflection but are pre-renovations.  We are waiting to book another M-Class post renovations.

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We are only trying Edge once before we even think about booking a second voyage.  Apex is booking now but we will not book that either until we understand if any changes are in the works.  We love both S-Class and M-Class and we will see what the renovations bring.  I do think S-Class will retain outdoor standard balconies.  Not so sure about M-Class since they are replacing whole cabin modules.  Currently our next two Celebrity cruises after Edge are on Eclipse and Reflection but are pre-renovations.  We are waiting to book another M-Class post renovations.

I bet we won't have to drag the furniture around in newer versions!

And curtains  or inner shades are needed in the enclosed veranda cabins,,,