Seabourn Quest - Rouen

Lirio

Yes, the Quest will sail up the Seine and dock in Rouen.  We did this last May and Seabourn had shuttle buses to take us to the city center which was not too far.  The trip sailing up the river and back out was also very nice. I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

A lot of cruise lines claim Rouen is a good port for visiting Paris. Maybe if you take a helicopter both ways. Otherwise you'll spend way to much tim win transit and way too little time inParis. Rouen itself is a lovely city and worth exploring. Save Paris for a land trip.

The sail in and out to Rouen, up the Seine, is delightful.  If either happens to be at a mealtime it is well worth getting an early table by the window in the restaurant, or at the outside on the Colonnade, to enjoy the view.  Rouen itself is a lovely city, just a shortish ride on the shuttle bus.

That afternoon we wandered around Rouen (a very nice place) and did the Joan of Arc museum. 

On the second day we went to Honfluer, a beautiful small port. This is was also a really nice excursion. 

I would recommend both of these excursions. I would also say that it is worthwhile checking out Rouen. There is a Walters World video on Youtube on Rouen which may give you some tips. 

A88CD4CB-7B28-4E3A-9DCB-B08D2A844ABA.jpeg

24E544BD-7D8F-4E3D-AB33-5C3FA6A11264.jpeg

7 hours ago, Lirio said:

Thank you. did you used a private guide or did them on your own. I am travelling with my husband and my mother and she has mobility issue, so most of the time she is in the wheelchair. 

Both those excursions were Seabourn excursions. 

We sailed up the Seine to Rouen on another cruise line and found the views of the river valley to be terrific.  Memorable.  We like the city of Rouen very much.  Come and see why Money painted the cathedral many times at different times of the day as the light changed.  I think you can stroll through town without a problem pushing the wheel chair.

Did indeed enjoy Giverny, but it is very much on the mass tourism list and if very crowded with visitors.  The effort to sell Monet souvenirs is relentless.  I called it the "Monet Industrial Complex."

Rouen is beautiful old town with real charm. Take time to walk around town. There are nice churches, beautiful shops, and great restaurants. The Jean D'Arc memorial is a must. Also visit the modern church behind it. Taking a train to Paris is easy. We did it. Takes less than an hour.  

We were in Rouen in October, overnight on the Ovation. It is a lovely town. We docked a few minutes from the town center. Seabourn had a continuous shuttle into town. We had already been to Honfleur (recommended), so we took the train to another beautiful town. Next day we spent it in Rouen, intere, walkable town center. And the sail in & out were beautiful....in the latter especially, we sat in the Obs lounge enjoying the Seine scenery! Enjoy!

The cruise on the Seine to and from Rouen will reinforce your reasons for sailing on Seabourn. Being on a small ship gives you these moments. Many years ago, I sailed this route on one of the little sisters. It makes sailing the Danube on a river cruise feel like New York Times Square on New Years Eve. The Seine was so peaceful.

We did Barcelona to Iceland this year and Rouen was one of our favorite ports.  We planned to take the train and overnight in Paris but a national rail strike was scheduled for the day we arrived.  Seabourn had shuttle buses to downtown Rouen and we were SO glad we didn't go to Paris.  As mentioned above, the Joan of Arc museum at the old church is a MUST SEE.  It was one of the best museum tours we've ever done.

FYI: look where Rouen is on a map to appreciate the spectacular journey you'll have getting there by a small cruise ship.  In your face big cruise ships :)

Just to reiterate - the chances are that you will be sailing back from Rouen for the several hour journey up the river, late afternoon or early evening, and if this does coincide with dinner time particularly it would be worth going in very early to get a table near the window - obviously the view is just of one bank, but a lovely relaxing way of spending a couple of hours, with people waving to you from the bank.  And probably the nicest way for your disabled relative to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 3:16 PM, Redtravel said:

Rouen is beautiful old town with real charm. Take time to walk around town. There are nice churches, beautiful shops, and great restaurants. The Jean D'Arc memorial is a must. Also visit the modern church behind it. Taking a train to Paris is easy. We did it. Takes less than an hour.  

Redtravel, can you tell me how easy/difficult it was to take the train to Paris?  Are there taxis available to get to the train station or did the shuttle take you close enough?  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Lirio,

we are on the same cruise and have just started a roll call for it. If you want to join, please check the roll call section in a couple of days (as it takes up to 48h for a new roll call to appear....).

Best regards,

MJN1

11 hours ago, MJN1 said:

Lirio,

we are on the same cruise and have just started a roll call for it. If you want to join, please check the roll call section in a couple of days (as it takes up to 48h for a new roll call to appear....).

Best regards,

MJN1

Thank you. I will enroll