ZAANDAM CABINS TO AVOID?

jwh

15 hours ago, Tonid5 said:

So having ocean view on deck 3 is good ? not a problem with the wrap around deck being right there and venues above you ?

Love the OVs on Lower Promenade -- just avoid being under the "white areas" on deck 4, aft of the midship elevators and forward of the farthest aft elevators. 

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Love the OVs on Lower Promenade -- just avoid being under the "white areas" on deck 4, aft of the midship elevators and forward of the farthest aft elevators. 

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

6 hours ago, Tonid5 said:

what about the dolphin deck ? deck 1

Toni, I have not roomed nor been in a Zaandam/Volendam deck 1 cabin, but have read that at least some people like looking out so close to the water! There are also six "sideways" J-category interiors that are larger than others, and that's with insides on the R-class ships already being larger than the newer ships. Lower decks and central location are better for potential seasickness as well!

Six G-category cabins per side, at the front of the ship, have two portholes instead of one big window.

Edited by crystalspin

We were on Zaandam in June, first cabin was 3391, over the kitchen, very noisy day & night, it was a handicap cabin.

Second week was cabin 1870, an adjoining cabin, no noise whatsoever, comfortable, had tub & shower, would not hesitate to have this cabin again

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, curfl said:

We were on Zaandam in June, first cabin was 3391, over the kitchen, very noisy day & night, 

In 3391 you are in fact under the main kitchen and near one end of a sort of rail or tracks they roll carts down. (Noise travels through the cabin's ceiling even worse than through the floor.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boatmad said:

We have been on Dolphin deck a few times.  Loved being this close to the water and a fun ride.  Did not enjoy the porthole cabin we had once.

What was the issue with the porthole cabin?  We have one booked for September.  We booked late, so not many cabins were available.

Nothing wrong with the cabin with the port holes, but it was an Alaska cruise and really missed the large window and ability to see some sights in our cabin.  It also was a complete surprise since HAL didn't used to disclose those.  Now they are very clear about where they are.  Cruise was still wonderful as they all are.  I just wouldn't choose that cabin again if I had a choice.  If it's go- or- no- go--go with the port holes!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boatmad said:

Nothing wrong with the cabin with the port holes, but it was an Alaska cruise and really missed the large window and ability to see some sights in our cabin.  It also was a complete surprise since HAL didn't used to disclose those.  Now they are very clear about where they are.  Cruise was still wonderful as they all are.  I just wouldn't choose that cabin again if I had a choice.  If it's go- or- no- go--go with the port holes!

Ok, thanks.  We booked so late that there were no large windows left.  We only have 1 sea day out of 10, so won't be spending that much time in the cabin.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, versuco said:

Ok, thanks.  We booked so late that there were no large windows left.  We only have 1 sea day out of 10, so won't be spending that much time in the cabin.  

On 7/10/2023 at 4:35 PM, curfl said:

We were on Zaandam in June, first cabin was 3391, over the kitchen, very noisy day & night, it was a handicap cabin.

Second week was cabin 1870, an adjoining cabin, no noise whatsoever, comfortable, had tub & shower, would not hesitate to have this cabin again

I will be in 1868 is Sept.  I'm a light sleeper.  Did you feel any vibrations from the engine.  Someone in 1832 several years back said it was really loud from mechanical noises.  Just booked this so there weren't many options available.  Would you say there were any negatives with this room?

• 1 month later...

HI we are Frank & Ruth, Hal is our go to for cruises , we are doing our first Christmas cruise, have been on Zaandam, staff is great !!!!

Looking forward to meeting up with other folks while cruising . 

looking in to doing some excursions in Barbados , perhaps getting a few people together for a tour.

Until Later

F&R

Family members were in cabins 2633 and 2635 on the Zaandam some years ago and found there was quite a lot of vibration. We noticed it on the corridor when visiting them.  Think they got used to it but we wouldn't have liked it. But we do love the Zaandam.  

2 hours ago, curfl said:

HI we are Frank & Ruth, Hal is our go to for cruises , we are doing our first Christmas cruise, have been on Zaandam, staff is great !!!!

looking in to doing some excursions in Barbados , perhaps getting a few people together for a tour.

Hi to you!

Assuming you mean Christmas 2023, your Roll Call (where you "meet" people on your cruise) is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2887986-december-19-2023-16-day-holiday-cruise/

On 12/23/2018 at 4:46 PM, bluegiraffe said:

We were in 1832 earlier this year.  It was incredibly loud in that cabin - a variety of mechanical noises at any and all times of the day and night.  Avoid!

Yes, we were in that cabin back in 2019, and after a sleepless first night the very helpful staff found us another, similar cabin on the other side of the ship, but without the noise. After that we had a marvelous cruise. If we could not have moved, we would have disembarked at the first port and flown home, which on that trip would have been a short flight. Kudos to the staff for going out of their way to help us with this.

• Like 1

Room 1831 (starboard forward) is directly above the tender platform as well as directly under the gangway setup for embarkation and disembarkation.  It is also a couple of doors away from the stairwell used by all who are tendering, so there will be drafts and crowds at times.  I actually didn’t mind the gangway and tender platform setup noises (it reminds me I am on a ship) as I am an early riser and they never started before 6:00am.    Those who may be bothered by these noises should stay away.  

If you do get this room, make sure your drapes are closed before bed on the final night because the longshoremen will be looking into it during gangway setup at disembarkation.  While you are stepping out of the shower.  With no clothes on.  Now there’s a memory they won’t easily get rid of.  😂 😳

• Haha 6

Cabin 1877 - Midship - Loved the layout. L shaped and huge for an interior. No cabins on either side. There is a storage area on one side that has an employee stairwell and storage for some things. You can hear things moving about during the day, but very quiet at night. If you stay in your room during the day you will hear things but we didn't hear anything after the first night and slept very well. Also, one of the disembark areas was right next to the room so if you sleep late in the morning or prefer to spend quiet mornings in your cabin, then avoid this room. Lots of noise and chatter from people coming on and off the ship etc. Didn't really bother us as it was super convenient to get off the ship and they blocked our hallway so people couldn't line up in front of the cabins. But if you don't like noise during the day and not a fan of a possible disembark area being right near you once or twice during your cruise, then avoid. We loved the cabin. Cannot beat the size of it for an interior. 

• Like 1

Deck 3 promenade deck has 2 Handicap EE cat cabins  by the rear elevators  one to starboard side  under the stairwell  of deck 4   .While the other one on Port side is under a  blank  area  & I suspect that is part of the galley  .Thus ,the one on Starboard  would be the e cabin  imo 

Edited by mcrcruiser

For our purposes the older ships have far less handicap cabins than the newer ships like Koningsdam . however ,neuther if them really excell in numbers of handicap cabins ,so we must book very early vto get the vabin we want . We can never sail on Sandam or Loendam because of the limited handicap cabins & only a suite of those vessels has a balcony which is another begative ofr us /

We hope any new built ships will have more handicap cabins 

On 8/19/2023 at 6:36 PM, curfl said:

Until Later

F&R

We are on the Zaandam holiday cruise this year (12/19-1/4.)  There are not many shore x listed for Barbados on the HAL web site.  I imagine that is because Barbados is Christmas day.  We'd be interested in joining for a tour.  Please post this on our role call.

8 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We are on the Zaandam holiday cruise this year (12/19-1/4.)  There are not many shore x listed for Barbados on the HAL web site.  I imagine that is because Barbados is Christmas day.  We'd be interested in joining for a tour.  Please post this on our role call.

Hello you need to post this information on your roll call .Np pne will do it for you

• Like 2

We were in 2536 OV on a Panama Canal cruise. Climate control was excellent. This was a very quiet room until 5 AM. I investigated what was going on on the promenade deck above this cabin...Turns out there is a large storage bench directly above the cabin on the promenade deck. The crew started prepping the deck at 5 AM  and each time they opened the storage bench they let the lid drop and it was very loud..I was generally up and about at this time and DH wears ear plugs when sleeping so generally speaking it wasn't too much of an issue except the the times it worked as an alarm clock. I wondered if people walking on the promenade deck above could be heard but we never heard people walking...just the 5AM wake up call .😳

Edited by pmjnh

• 7 months later...
Posted (edited)

Any advice on selecting a Vista cabin on the Zaandam?

Specifically, we are looking at Deck 6 (Verandah) Vista balcony staterooms. Midship, maybe port side above the Explorations Cafe? Around A 6188, A 6190. But open to suggestions. 

We really want a quiet location. Above, Deck 7 is all cabins — so that’s good. Below, Deck 5 is the Upper Promenade Deck, but we are hoping it wouldn’t be loud right above the Explorations Cafe? There are some Vista cabins on Deck 7 but they are below the Lido, which someone reported was loud.

Anyone notice any issues with weird noises on Deck 6 — creaking, vibration? One reviewer said their balcony was creaking loudly enough to keep them awake. Has anyone experienced this on Zaandam? Thx. 

Edited by Ileneilene123