ZAANDAM CABINS TO AVOID?

jwh

Just wondering if there are any specific cabins /areas that are less desirable locations on this ship than others?  Also, wondering the difference between EE and E category?  Apart from price that is :)   Appreciate your help and many thanks in advance.

We had two adjoining cabins on the Main deck, port forward on the Zaandam and loved it. 

Across cruise lines, we always try and choose cabins on decks between other cabin decks (as opposed to being directly above or below public spaces);  on rougher seas we prefer lower decks, which led us to the Main deck.   We knew these were below the lower promenade deck but as others had reported previously there is absolutely no noise from anyone walking on the decks above. 

For window cabins, we think the Main deck is a great choice, and while the Lanai cabins on other ships look really interesting, didnt really like the window cabins of the lower promenade decks that may or may not have a obstructed view.

Differences between EE and E seem to be simply how far aft or astern the cabins are, should be no differences in cabin size, layout amenities etc.  We went with a D, again identical to an EE apart from location.

Since we were crossing the Drake passage we knew the seas might get rougher, so chose cabins closer to the center of the ship (least movement).  

We chose port side as our itinerary circumventing south america and cape horn counterclockwise meant that side would always be land side.    We deliberately chose adjoining cabins (marked with a + on the deck plan) and kept our doors open for the kids, but I would generally avoid these if getting a single cabin as it might mean a shorter desk or potential noise coming through from a neighbor.

In the end, it didn't seem there were dramatic differences in cabins across the ship, she is not so large that even the ocean swells would make a large difference, so if there are significant differences in price I would use that as a primary factor.

We were worried the Zaandam might be an older ship with less going for it, and found fewer reviews online, but loved every minute of it:  great ship, great food, excellent crew.  It was enough to convert us to Holland America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, gphb said:

pWe had two adjoining cabins on the Main deck, port forward on the Zaandam and loved it. 

Across cruise lines, we always try and choose cabins on decks between other cabin decks (as opposed to being directly above or below public spaces);  on rougher seas we prefer lower decks, which led us to the Main deck.   We knew these were below the lower promenade deck but as others had reported previously there is absolutely no noise from anyone walking on the decks above. 

For window cabins, we think the Main deck is a great choice, and while the Lanai cabins on other ships look really interesting, didnt really like the window cabins of the lower promenade decks that may or may not have a obstructed view.

Differences between EE and E seem to be simply how far aft or astern the cabins are, should be no differences in cabin size, layout amenities etc.  We went with a D, again identical to an EE apart from location.

Since we were crossing the Drake passage we knew the seas might get rougher, so chose cabins closer to the center of the ship (least movement).  

We chose port side as our itinerary circumventing south america and cape horn counterclockwise meant that side would always be land side.    We deliberately chose adjoining cabins (marked with a + on the deck plan) and kept our doors open for the kids, but I would generally avoid these if getting a single cabin as it might mean a shorter desk or potential noise coming through from a neighbor.

In the end, it didn't seem there were dramatic differences in cabins across the ship, she is not so large that even the ocean swells would make a large difference, so if there are significant differences in price I would use that as a primary factor.

We were worried the Zaandam might be an older ship with less going for it, and found fewer reviews online, but loved every minute of it:  great ship, great food, excellent crew.  It was enough to convert us to Holland America.

Thank you so much for this good response and info gphb.   Very helpful to receive first hand advice.

3 hours ago, bluegiraffe said:

We were in 1832 earlier this year.  It was incredibly loud in that cabin - a variety of mechanical noises at any and all times of the day and night.  Avoid!

Thank you too bluegiraffe.  I will make a note to avoid that one.  It's a while since I was on Zaandam, but I do remember the airconditioning to be a challenge.  We just couldn't get it cool enough and numerous attempts by the maintenance crew to fix it were unsuccessful.  Did anyone else find aircon a problem? 

• 4 weeks later...

On a lower ocean view deck on sister ship Rotterdam we could hear and smell an electrical smell in the hallway, but had zero problems in our cabin. HAL temperature comfort zone goes up to 75 degrees, which may be too warm for some - and can depend a lot on where one is traveling -humidity etc how that temperature is perceived.

So a cabin may not ever get to one's personal preference, but may get to within their own in-house guidelines. Beyond those in-house guidelines, there is reason to complain particularly if your cabin is on a circuit with someone leaving their balcony door open, even if they are on a different deck. if you don't complain, they have no way of learning what a pattern might be. 

I would not be directly above or below any entertainment venue.  I always prefer to be sandwiched between cabins - cabins on top of me, below me and on the side of me. 

I have have been in adjoining cabins with no problems

Edited by Mary229

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:44 PM, jwh said:

Thank you too bluegiraffe.  I will make a note to avoid that one.  It's a while since I was on Zaandam, but I do remember the airconditioning to be a challenge.  We just couldn't get it cool enough and numerous attempts by the maintenance crew to fix it were unsuccessful.  Did anyone else find aircon a problem? 

We were on the Zandaam years ago. It was awful. Hands down the worst cabin ever. On the main deck, port side aft oceanview. NO a/c at all. It turns out there hadn't been working a/c in that section for months. So years later, it looks like it never got fixed.

In my opinion, selling non functioning cabins is fraud. Disgraceful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sun~ said:

We were on the Zandaam years ago. It was awful. Hands down the worst cabin ever. On the main deck, port side aft oceanview. NO a/c at all. It turns out there hadn't been working a/c in that section for months. So years later, it looks like it never got fixed.

In my opinion, selling non functioning cabins is fraud. Disgraceful.

I was on the Zaandaam in 2016 for a long cruise and everything was functioning beautifully 

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

I am currently in 3405, lower promenade aft and it is quiet. A/C works so well I had to move the dial up into the warm temperature setting. I love this little ship!

Good to hear.  We will be in 3416 in July and August for Canada/New England and Greenland/Iceland.  We had a similar cabin on the old Rotterdam and loved it.  Steps to the biggest balcony, nice and dark for sleeping, and enough room for two of us.  

• Like 2

On 12/23/2018 at 2:01 AM, jwh said:

Just wondering if there are any specific cabins /areas that are less desirable locations on this ship than others? 

We sailed in 3372-4-6-8 partially obstructed OVs on the Lower Promenade and liked them so well we booked them plus 3380 for a second family cruise. Any farther back you are under the galley and that can be noisy all night (and day). Until you get far enough aft to be under dining room which I hear + and - about. 

• Like 1

I know the OP was primarily looking at inside or OV but just in case anyone is interested, cabin 7036 on the Zaandam, has the sound of rolling carts from the Lido above.  We kind of got used to it but it did wake me up early one morning.

• 5 months later...
On 1/15/2023 at 2:05 PM, dfish said:

Good to hear.  We will be in 3416 in July and August for Canada/New England and Greenland/Iceland.  We had a similar cabin on the old Rotterdam and loved it.  Steps to the biggest balcony, nice and dark for sleeping, and enough room for two of us.  

So having ocean view on deck 3 is good ? not a problem with the wrap around deck being right there and venues above you ?

7 minutes ago, Tonid5 said:

So having ocean view on deck 3 is good ? not a problem with the wrap around deck being right there and venues above you ?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem.   3416 is an inside and below the dining room.  The carpet muffles sound from the dining room.  You would want to check and see what is above your cabin.

On 1/15/2023 at 2:05 PM, dfish said:

How was 3405 ?

On 1/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, Navybikermom said:

I am currently in 3405, lower promenade aft and it is quiet. A/C works so well I had to move the dial up into the warm temperature setting. I love this little ship!

3 hours ago, Tonid5 said:

How was 3405 ?

Check the quote above yours.