Edge cabin questiion

Sunseeker322

That info was well-known on the Edge Forum so some knew ahead of time, but I watched the X website and they never changed the picture of the cabin - they never showed the round opening, as far as I know. To be fair, X calls them Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda so an experienced cruiser might have done more research since they were called Ocean View (but the veranda part does throw you off).

They will be a option for some to get a less expensive veranda on the Edge.

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That info was well-known on the Edge Forum so some knew ahead of time, but I watched the X website and they never changed the picture of the cabin - they never showed the round opening, as far as I know. To be fair, X calls them Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda so an experienced cruiser might have done more research since they were called Ocean View (but the veranda part does throw you off).

VT what is this about the 1A and 1B cabins being considered obstructed? Is this the case and if so is it for all 1A and 1B or just some of them? I wondered about whether the window washing equipment would be moving around or kept by one or several cabins. I wonder how the cabins immediately next to the MC are being perceived... particularly given the way the suite balcony flares out blocking the cabin next to it more than anticipated. After the photos I have seen I think I would prefer an E4 with a davit view to one next to MC... I like a clear view to the right and left... not as concerned about looking down... since lifeboats block at least some of the view for several decks. 

2 hours ago, kearney said:

VT what is this about the 1A and 1B cabins being considered obstructed? Is this the case and if so is it for all 1A and 1B or just some of them? I wondered about whether the window washing equipment would be moving around or kept by one or several cabins. I wonder how the cabins immediately next to the MC are being perceived... particularly given the way the suite balcony flares out blocking the cabin next to it more than anticipated. After the photos I have seen I think I would prefer an E4 with a davit view to one next to MC... I like a clear view to the right and left... not as concerned about looking down... since lifeboats block at least some of the view for several decks. 

I'm not sure about the 1As and 1Bs being obstructed - maybe it was just the ones with the window washers next to them. I'm not sure if some people complained because they thought they were getting a full rectangular balcony opening? Maybe cruisestitch knows more about that?

It's funny because I saw some reviews where people deliberately booked close to the MC to watch it work, but haven't seen one from someone right next to it. I must say that the IV that I was assigned on the first cruise was very close and I loved to watch it work. I guess I am more of a forward view person.

3 hours ago, Sunseeker322 said:

Thank you vtcruising  not sure everyone knows about the Edge forum, it's good that it exists 

It was wonderful to have a separate Edge forum, but it was moved to the main board a couple of weeks ago. It's a whole different world over here. 😉

It's good that more people get the info, though.

VT you have seemed to be able to find out info before the rest of us. Have you been able to find out what their plans are for S class? I assume more cabins... fewer bars or smaller bars. I assume there will be not IV cabins given the engineering involved... I assume a muted color pallet... perhaps a larger bathroom?  The drawings I have seen make it appear that the dinning room will be open to view the sea... which would be nice. They focus so much on suites... while likely a high percentage of profit.... not such a high percentage of passengers involved. We are so tired from out last Edge cruise... we don;t have anything scheduled until Sept of the updated Equinox. The only thing I disliked on the S class was the shiny white plastic and chrome accented dining room made me think of Vegas Elvis... and the atrium seemed too confined a space for much of the post 8pm activities.... perhaps that will be addressed... hopefully without losing the Ensemble and Sky lounges

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

VT you have seemed to be able to find out info before the rest of us. Have you been able to find out what their plans are for S class? I assume more cabins... fewer bars or smaller bars. I assume there will be not IV cabins given the engineering involved... I assume a muted color pallet... perhaps a larger bathroom?  The drawings I have seen make it appear that the dinning room will be open to view the sea... which would be nice. They focus so much on suites... while likely a high percentage of profit.... not such a high percentage of passengers involved. We are so tired from out last Edge cruise... we don;t have anything scheduled until Sept of the updated Equinox. The only thing I disliked on the S class was the shiny white plastic and chrome accented dining room made me think of Vegas Elvis... and the atrium seemed too confined a space for much of the post 8pm activities.... perhaps that will be addressed... hopefully without losing the Ensemble and Sky lounges

I'm not sure, though some stuff is starting to leak out for the M Class changes. I think it is a carefully guarded secret. We may not know until May when Equinox is done. I like what I have seen so far for the S Class, but just unsure what will be lost...

10 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I can understand why people may have been surprised to book a 1A or 1B Veranda, only to find a balcony with porthole. Celebrity refers to their regular Veranda cabins on the M-class and S-class ships as “Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda”. I had just such a 1A Veranda on Reflection last year. Even though I’m one of the original Edgies who has followed every Edge thread, I assumed 1A Verandas were like the verandas on the other ships. I made this assumption despite knowing some cabins had “porthole” Verandas. It seems to me that Celebrity could have avoided this confusion by giving the “Porthole” Verandas a unique name. They could have also changed cabin drawings and descriptions to make the “porthole” design & size clear, and they certainly should have noted the the cabins having obstructions. I’d not be pleased to be notified of an obstruction only after it was too late to change cabins.

Edited by Silkroad

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

I can understand why people may have been surprised to book a 1A or 1B Veranda, only to find a balcony with porthole. Celebrity refers to their regular Veranda cabins on the M-class and S-class ships as “Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda”. I had just such a 1A Veranda on Reflection last year. Even though I’m one of the original Edgies who has followed every Edge thread, I assumed 1A Verandas were like the verandas on the other ships. I made this assumption despite knowing some cabins had “porthole” Verandas. It seems to me that Celebrity could have avoided this confusion by giving the “Porthole” Verandas a unique name. They could have also changed cabin drawings and descriptions to make the “porthole” design & size clear, and they certainly should have noted the obstructions. I’d not be pleased to be notified of an obstruction only after it was too late to change cabins.

Oh, sorry didn’t know that is what they are called on S and M Class - never booked one and just have seen the overall veranda section on the website   (we’ve done AQ but not regular veranda so never researched them). No wonder people were surprised!!

We discussed the porthole veranda  cabins and SVs as being the only open non- suite balconies a few times so I thought it was well- known on the Edge Forum - probably just me, the Edge cabin nerd. 🥺 

i agree that they could have been better named and depicted on the website. I’m not sure how much the TAs were told about the cabins either though  I’m sure a lot of TAs have heard about these in the last few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Oh, sorry didn’t know that is what they are called on S and M Class - never booked one and just have seen the overall veranda section on the website   (we’ve done AQ but not regular veranda so never researched them). No wonder people were surprised!!

We discussed the porthole veranda  cabins and SVs as being the only open non- suite balconies a few times so I thought it was well- known on the Edge Forum - probably just me, the Edge cabin nerd. 🥺 

i agree that they could have been better named and depicted on the website. I’m not sure how much the TAs were told about the cabins either though  I’m sure a lot of TAs have heard about these in the last few weeks. 

I totally understand🙂 I thought you might not be aware that they’d used exactly the same vernacular, since I thought you usually booked Aqua or suites.

Yes, I recall all the porthole Veranda discussion, but (probably because I’d booked an IV) I’m sure I wasn’t as focused on those other cabins😉  I think the Porthole Verandas are cool, though they seem rather small, but I wouldn’t want an obstructed one.

I’m sure some people, including TA’s, went only by Celebrity’s marketing brochures and videos. As we know, these materials contained quite a few misleading things. By the time TA’s were able to board Edge to see things for themselves, they’d had their clients booked for months. My April TA is nearly sold out, so I feel sorry for people who are only now learning of obstructions, because they cannot move. BTW there’s a Sky Suite available, just in case you pick that winning ticket😁

3 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I totally understand🙂 I thought you might not be aware that they’d used exactly the same vernacular, since I thought you usually booked Aqua or suites.

Yes, I recall all the porthole Veranda discussion, but (probably because I’d booked an IV) I’m sure I wasn’t as focused on those other cabins😉  I think the Porthole Verandas are cool, though they seem rather small, but I wouldn’t want an obstructed one.

I’m sure some people, including TA’s, went only by Celebrity’s marketing brochures and videos. As we know, these materials contained quite a few misleading things. By the time TA’s were able to board Edge to see things for themselves, they’d had their clients booked for months. My April TA is nearly sold out, so I feel sorry for people who are only now learning of obstructions, because they cannot move. BTW there’s a Sky Suite available, just in case you pick that winning ticket😁

Good to know regarding the Sky Suite....If I win, I'm buying us both large tables and chairs and loungers and have them  shipped to T25 to be loaded on the Edge that day.😉

I was surprised (but shouldn't have been) that one of every type of suite was open for the TAs for the non-revenue cruises I was on (though there was only an S3 and not both types of Sky Suite configurations), but there were no insides, no porthole veranda, SV or forward or regular ocean view (just had panoramic ocean view on 6). You would think that they would sell more of the non-suite cabins so would want to know what they look like. Oh well, they didn't ask me. 😉

• Like 1

I was told direct from Celebrity that indeed all of the cat 1a and 1b are obstructed and they just found out themselves and are working to compensate people that didn't know since they are not obstructed on their other ships 

Edited by Sunseeker322

2 hours ago, Sunseeker322 said:

I was told direct from Celebrity that indeed all of the cat 1a and 1b are obstructed and they just found out themselves and are working to compensate people that didn't know since they are not obstructed on their other ships 

There was a post of another thread that stated they were only just informed that their 1B was obstructed and they are unable to move to another cabin (none available). They did say all the 1B cabins were being classed as obstructed (Post #4 in the link below). I wouldn’t be too happy to find out this late in the game my chosen cabin was obstructed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2617196-edge-sv-or-1a1b-cabin-video/?tab=comments#comment-56421459

Edited by villauk

4 hours ago, Sunseeker322 said:

Thanks for making that clear. Is it because of the round opening? No all have the window washer next to them.

Thanks!

If I were your agent I would go to bat for you , but it's up to your agent to do so.

I was going to book these cabins for some of my musicians,  but if I did I would have a riot in my hands . Very glad to know about this as I have have put them in those categories on their other ship classes and they were not like this.

2 hours ago, villauk said:

There was a post of another thread that stated they were only just informed that their 1B was obstructed and they are unable to move to another cabin (none available). They did say all the 1B cabins were being classed as obstructed (Post #4 in the link below). I wouldn’t be too happy to find out this late in the game my chosen cabin was obstructed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2617196-edge-sv-or-1a1b-cabin-video/?tab=comments#comment-56421459

Thanks, I just read that post. I wonder if it is just that with the round opening, the view was impacted. There are window washers near some of them, but they are not obstructed otherwise, as far as I can see.

I just looked at the X website (booking) and they now show a picture of a round opening and say "obstructed view", even for the ones that are not near the window washers. They didn't have an actual depiction or picture of the round opening the last time I looked (probably a couple of months ago). No wonder people were upset. As I said before, it may be a nice option for those who want a less expensive open balcony (albeit small) on the Edge, but they should be aware of what they are getting. I'm glad that they are compensating people.

image.thumb.png.9ad6faaf74157bee7630a2275d467ec7.png

7If I were your agent I would go to bat for you , but it's up to your agent to do so.

I was going to book these cabins for some of my musicians,  but if I did I would have a riot in my hands . Very glad to know about this as I have have put them in those categories on their other ship classes and they were not like this.

I was told to go look at them online cause I could not for the life of me visualize what they were saying. Thank goodness for this wonderful group of folks here that posted the photos so I could see and the other extremely helpful feedback.  I am.very new to the site and am still learning how it works but it's wonderful to have feedback and to be able to express concerns and post the good things people like as well. People look forward to their trips and it's important they are happy 😊

• Like 1

It appears these " balconies" are quite small..Does anyone have the actual dimensions?

Could be sitting knee to knee but at leadt it is not an enclosed veranda..other issue for some might be location...at either end of the ship???

Edited by hcat

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 6:41 AM, cruisestitch said:

I was not offered any compensation.  I will have my travel agent investigate.

We received an email from Celebrity and were issued onboard credit. We will be on the Edge on April 21st!