Vigo and Gijon and Le Havre- excursion recommendations

cruisekap

Hi all,

I will be on Explorer of the Seas leaving from Southampton on Oct. 5, 2019.  We will be visiting Vigo, Gijon, and Le Havre.  The cruise planner currently has no excursions for Gijon and only 2 for Vigo.  As I have not been to these ports I am interested in excursion recommendations.  Note, I am not interested in going to Paris as I was there this year.  

Thanks,

Kathy

Thanks.  Yes, I will.  A roll call was created for this ship and date, however, it was a longer Canary Island cruise as far as I can see from the content.  I guess that one was cancelled.  I was going to create one but thought it may be confusing having 2 with the same date/ship.

Vigo is a nice city, great shopping 🛍️! But from here it is best to visit Santiago del Compostela if you have never been.

Gijon is lovely, huge sandy beach, but the port is a long way from the town so you HAVE to take their shuttle to get into town. Another pretty place worth visiting is Oviedo which is a pretty hillside town. Very Spanish.  They usually offer a trip there but it is also easy to DIY using the excellent Spanish bus service.

Le Havre is much maligned. It is a simple 20 min stroll into town. A great art gallery and modern cathedral. Gardens and parks and a small shopping area. Otherwise popular trips are out to Honfleur or to the Normandy Beaches.

Hope this helps.

I second what Little Britain said - we took no tour from LeHavre and walked around town.  If you like Impressionist art, the Musee d'art moderne Andres Malraux is wonderful.  They are upgrading the waterfront area, pictured below. 

Lots of food and drink, and some very nice park areas.  If you choose not to take an excursion, you will find a lot to do in town.  

LeHavre.jpg