Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Taking foods ashore that were not wrapped by their manufacturer has never been permitted. This is done in most instances by the rules, regulations and laws of ports the ships visit. 

Oh I had read to bring ziplocs and order sandwiches to bring ashore.  Didn't know it was against the rules especially considering that many excursions don't include food(free or to buy)seemed like a good plan.

8 minutes ago, FlatlandDave said:

Our first cruise too, feel about the same way..Doesn't seem right but as the "personal vacation planner" from Carnival said to me yesterday ( after I repeatedly asked her not to call during the day as we work nights ) it's all to make Carnival a more "green" cruise line by eliminating waste. Which will add value for the customer!  She then touted the next new ship coming out as being even more green as it will run on natural gas. All in all a rehearsed canned response...  I then asked her "well since I am trying to budget for this what else will be extra charges by the time we cruise?" Her answer was "there are no more changes being planned at this time and we do appreciate your business". I did ask her once again to only call in the morning and she said "I have only called once or twice" I said, " I have talked to you at least 4 times and ignored 8+ other calls I just didn't answer" She replied " ok you got me on that one".

The "green" I need at this time is in my wallet and want it to stay there!!  LOL

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Oh I had read to bring ziplocs and order sandwiches to bring ashore.  Didn't know it was against the rules especially considering that many excursions don't include food(free or to buy)seemed like a good plan.

Yes, people (not you) who don't read often make poor suggestions here. Cabo is one good example of this: there are trained dogs on the pier at the tender landing sniffing for open food and not drugs as some would have you believe. There may be drug targeting animals present too but have never seen any. My point is government bodies are serious about protecting their environment. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Some ports even have dogs that will be smelling your bags as you enter thru the port. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

...now folks are forced to buy lunch on the islands rather than bring a sandwich from room service?  I guess I will be packing some granola bars from home.

Crazy4Camping,

Sanmarcosman is correct.  You read some bad advice about bringing non-factory-sealed food off the ship.  Your granola bars from home, as well as trail mix, crackers, etc. (as long as they are factory-sealed) are the way to go for taking snacks on excursions.  There is often advice given on these boards that flouts cruiseline rules and even national laws, such as in this case.  You're doing the right thing by researching all these details pre-cruise.

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

Crazy4Camping,

Sanmarcosman is correct.  You read some bad advice about bringing non-factory-sealed food off the ship.  Your granola bars from home, as well as trail mix, crackers, etc. (as long as they are factory-sealed) are the way to go for taking snacks on excursions.  There is often advice given on these boards that flouts cruiseline rules and even national laws, such as in this case.  You're doing the right thing by researching all these details pre-cruise.

Yes thank goodness for these forums!  I have found out sooooo much valuable information!  Everyday I tell my husband some new thing I have found out about!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjaywhit said:

This policy change sucks. My wife and I enjoyed being able to order a late night snack from Room Service on past Carnival Cruises.

We will have to look for another cruise option on future vacations.

Of course you can order a late night snack. Most cruise do charge for room service, so you might be out of luck looking for another cruise.

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

Of course you can order a late night snack. Most cruise do charge for room service, so you might be out of luck looking for another cruise.

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

So true. Plus the fact that a “late night snack” even had a charge BEFORE this new policy went into effect. I have to ask that other poster, just how long ago did you last cruise, as there has been a late night charge for food for quite awhile. This person wants total inclusion, there are plenty of luxury cruise lines out there, if your willing to pay the price

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Crazy4Camping,

Hey... the Beef is back!  Nice to see you!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This policy change sucks. My wife and I enjoyed being able to order a late night snack from Room Service on past Carnival Cruises.

Psssssst, you can still order room service. 

1 hour ago, Crazy4Camping said:

This is why I'm so nervous about this cruise.  It's our first and we were led to believe that so much was included and was so cheap.  Since we first booked almost 2 years ago, everything has gone up(gratutities, beverage packages, etc.)and now this isn't even included.  Everytime I turn around I'm opening my wallet.  Even our flights were changed(Carnival says it was the airline but we booked through Fly2Fun and they said it wouldn't change)so now we have to get a hotel the night before since our flights are 3 hours earlier.  I'm sure it will be fun, but I don't think it's over $3K in one week kind of fun!  I wonder if in the 5 pages of replies that admittedly I haven't read that anyone mentioned that now folks are forced to buy lunch on the islands rather than bring a sandwich from room service?  I guess I will be packing some granola bars from home.

Relax. There’s too much hysteria going on about this new change. I knew it would happen sooner or later, as other cruise lines have not had free room service for awhile, except maybe the luxury lines. You will still get a fabulous vacation. Believe me. I’ve been cruising for many years, and have seen many things disappear. When we started cruising, we had complimentary cocktail parties with appetizers, and a past cruiser party, both of which are now only offered to those with higher status (P&D). Then there was the midnight buffets, and gifts in cabin for past cruisers—not just P&D cruisers. Those things are all gone. This change was expected. You will still get fabulous food in the MDR, and from other areas on ship. If you choose to spend more, there is specialty restaurants, but you never need to do those. In all the years I’ve sailed, I only ate in a specialty once. So quit worrying. The sky isn’t falling.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Hey... the Beef is back!  Nice to see you!!

Hi!:classic_blush::classic_biggrin:

Yeah, I took a couple years off the site.  And I haven't been cruising much - doing more land-based trips.  But I've booked my first BTB, on a ship that is new to me, so I came back here to see what brilliant new cutbacks I should be prepared for, come next January when we sail.  I can't say I'm surprised by this one.

• Haha 1

Late night snacks have had a charge for quite awhile. When was the last time you cruised? There is plenty of food offered up on deck. Grab something and bring it back to cabin. Honestly, I can’t believe anyone has room for more food after all that is consumed through the day. I think we will all survive. The sky isn’t falling.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

PRECISELY!! Open the damn wallet and order, if you must have room service!! The hysteria surrounding this new change is really funny. The sky is not falling, people! 

Not close to the table cloth thread, where, Carnival ships would sail empty forever without table cloths being brought back, but still a fun thread nonetheless. 

The angst over $2 and $4 charges is humorous.    I’m posting from my balcony at Marriott Waikoloa Beach.    There are 7 of us so that’s part of it but every meal we have eaten out has been between $51 and $275.    The $51 was for 5 of us at Subway.   The $275 was a great time at Lava Lava Beach Club 

Next year at this time I’ll be on the Panorama.    I’m all for not wasting money we skimp where we can, especially when we aren’t on vacation yet traveling (McDonalds a lot)  but I’ll confiscate a few milks, maybe some cheese and meat, and buy a few RS snacks.   It’ll be a great cruise regardless of a few RS charges. 

Edited by fuddrules
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

PRECISELY!! Open the damn wallet and order, if you must have room service!! The hysteria surrounding this new change is really funny. The sky is not falling, people! 

Thanks for telling me how to spend my money.   How much can i spend?  If they raise the price again, how much is too much?  Or are you telling me that you are going to be covering the bill?

Maybe it is not the amount of money, but the fact that this was included in the price when i booked my cruises, now it is an extra.  (and some people are on a budget!)

Hopefully they never take away something that you consider important. 

No, the sky isn't falling, and i will have a great time on my cruises.  But i will not be ordering room service.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I applaud your optimism and I hope you are right.  Unfortunately, the trend in mass market cruise lines is saying otherwise.  As long as Guy's has a name brand attached to it, I don't think it is safe at all from future cover charge considerations.  

Well, while technically nothing on the ship is safe from having added or increased fees slapped on to it, I'm not quite ready to start being too pessimistic about it. Go back on the boards for Carnival, RC or NCL and you will find that in most threads where a new fee or "cutback" is mentioned, there are the usual comments about how they will soon start charging for the MDR, buffet, toilet paper, etc, etc and some of those posts are over 10 years ago and those predictions haven't come true yet.

The trend I have personally noticed is that fees have been added to things that are either not cost effective or sustainable enough to include in the base fare anymore, such as more expensive cuts of meat and seafood; or to the added specialty dining that offers a more unique and/or intimate dining experience and to replaced those with burgers, tacos, pizza, etc that they know will appeal and appease to a majority of their customers while others will pay for an upgrade. So, I could be wrong, but I don't see them adding a fee to Guy's. If that day does come where the basic food are for a fee, I'm done with cruising, I'd be better off just vacationing at the beach at that point.

I honestly think the room service fees are about decreasing the demand for it in an time where the trend is to build bigger ships to carry more passengers.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Relax. There’s too much hysteria going on about this new change. I knew it would happen sooner or later, as other cruise lines have not had free room service for awhile, except maybe the luxury lines. You will still get a fabulous vacation. Believe me. I’ve been cruising for many years, and have seen many things disappear. When we started cruising, we had complimentary cocktail parties with appetizers, and a past cruiser party, both of which are now only offered to those with higher status (P&D). Then there was the midnight buffets, and gifts in cabin for past cruisers—not just P&D cruisers. Those things are all gone. This change was expected. You will still get fabulous food in the MDR, and from other areas on ship. If you choose to spend more, there is specialty restaurants, but you never need to do those. In all the years I’ve sailed, I only ate in a specialty once. So quit worrying. The sky isn’t falling.

The reason for frustration is all the hype about cruises in the first place. " You can eat prime rib and lobster".  Nope just MAYBE on formal night.  "All drinks except alcoholic are included". Nope, not pop, water bottles, flavored coffee, etc.  "The cabins are just like a hotel room!" Nope-no frig, microwave, coffee maker, or iron.  The ship we are sailing on doesn't have "specialty" restaurants(at least as far as I've read on these forums)but who wants to pay extra to eat out when all the food is supposed to be included?  I guess I figured at least if I just want a sandwich not pizza late at night(since everything else closes)it would be free but now $4-$5 plus tip is just an extra expense.  I know we will have fun but NOTHING about this trip has been what was expected so far.  I truly hope that what  we end up doing on the islands works out but even that's hard to decide based on reviews!!   Either way I'm so excited!!

• Like 1

I will still order wings at 2 am! they are surprisingly really good.

Its going to probably hurt the servers, instead of a $5 tip, they will get $2

Cutbacks always trickle down unfortunately

Edited by CaneDawg

I understand the frustration for those whose cruise expectations included the inclusive Room Service.  I am sorry if there are those who attack you for expressing your disappointment.

Just know that this isn't a new thing.  The fact is, cruises have always dropped these little bombs on their passengers for as long as I have sailed.  And many come with a lot less communication (if any) of the changes.  I am old enough to have had a fuel surcharge added to my fare.

My wife and I anticipate and budget for unexpected expenses because they are going to happen.  The stories we could share.  Doesn't make us happy, and sometimes it is an obvious abuse.  But overall, for us, cruising is still a very affordable vacation and an exceptional experience.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, schazzy said:

Well, while technically nothing on the ship is safe from having added or increased fees slapped on to it, I'm not quite ready to start being too pessimistic about it. Go back on the boards for Carnival, RC or NCL and you will find that in most threads where a new fee or "cutback" is mentioned, there are the usual comments about how they will soon start charging for the MDR, buffet, toilet paper, etc, etc and some of those posts are over 10 years ago and those predictions haven't come true yet.

So here's the trend.  RCI's specialty burgers were free.  Now, there is a cover charge.  NCL charges for their Margaritaville burgers.  Sit down restaurants...I get it.  Not an exact comparison to Guys.  So here's another example.  HAL...A Carnival brand...has a free specialty burger stand on the lido similar to Guys.  It's called Dive-In.  Well guess what?  HAL added those burgers to their room service menu and is charging for them.  Heck, Princess...another Carnival brand...charges something like $20 for their specialty burgers.  

So now you have at least 4 lines going down the road of adding charges to their specialty burgers one way or another.  That's a little different than hysterical posts about toilet paper, etc.  

So again, I hope you're right.  I hope CCL never charges for Guys.  However, I think it would be ignorant to convince oneself that it won't happen, especially when we all know the cruise lines mimic one another with things like this.   

Edited by Aquahound

Can you still order 2 of something in the Main Dining Room for supper??  

I always get 2 shrimp cocktails....cuz 5 just inst enough!!!

And the hubby will order 2 lobster if its still available for the formal night.....is this still done??  Been 4yrs since last cruise

In the end it's all about money. The irony of it all is that the very complainers would rather have $100 rolled up into their fare instead of paying for $50 extra. Completely over-obsessed with individual charges. By far the most annoying topic about vacationing.

Out of all of the possibilities of how cruises could have increased in price through all of these years, I'm glad it went this way. Instead of me paying for everyone's gluttony, fares have stayed lower and I can choose what I want extra. There's no use talking any sense because people are obsessed with "all inclusive". It's like the health care debate, just in a less exciting topic. Nothing is free.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

Can you still order 2 of something in the Main Dining Room for supper??  

I always get 2 shrimp cocktails....cuz 5 just inst enough!!!

And the hubby will order 2 lobster if its still available for the formal night.....is this still done??  Been 4yrs since last cruise

Yes, you can still order as many items as you want in the MDR.