Late docking in Miami for the Riviera.

KS&JW

I happen to be on the Christmas cruise and went through the various medical emergencies . When my daughter was booking her return flight, I instructed her not to book a morning flight, as crap always happens when you cut things too close,. 

The cruise schedule only called for an arrival of 8 am, and the fact we were scheduled to arrive at 6 was just the safety net put in by the cruise line I presume. With customs being one of the departments not getting paid these days, it’s a miracle we were allowed off the ship around 10. 

It was a bit frustrating how they were getting people off the ship, as they went based on what we requested five days before the two hour delay. It seems half the ship had flights before noon, but there was no screaming and yelling, and my daughter made it to MIA by 1115 for her 1230 flight with time for Pizza Hut. 

I believe we actually had three medical emergencies during the trip, so you have to feel for the medical staff on the ship. 

The death of the crew member on disembarkation day must have been just the icing on the cake for a miserable 24 hours, so I’m sure upset passengers worrying about their inconvience getting into the ship was last on the list of priorities for the staff, but the show must go on I guess. 

The cruise itself was a great one for us, thank you to the entire staff for making the holidays a wonderful time for us, and hopefully the guests evacuated are ok. 

On 1/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, edgee said:

I truly believe that Oceania has a corporate culture of evasiveness non communication and elusiveness as regards customer service. Senior officers are a very reserved bunch..almost appear surly at times when in presence of guests. Recent experiences I have had include late boarding on Insignia in NYC (disembarkation from previous cruise was delayed due to late arrival) and handling of persistent Norovirus problem on long Marina cruise. "When in doubt, cover up." is their operating mantra compared to other cruise lines. I still cruise with them because I like their product, but all things equal I will choose another cruise line, partially because of this corporate culture...strictly by the book, hold your cards closely, never reach out to the customer in a helpful way if it can be avoided, culture.

And yet you persist in sailing with O.

8 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

And some of us no longer sail with them.

Sad that it was reported that the deceased crew member died before the fall....

Still interested enough to be checking back here, though-

Sounds like you might want back in.

12 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Still interested enough to be checking back here, though-

Sounds like you might want back in.

I check in to see what's happening but I haven't considered cruising on Oceania in several years. They lost me with some booking and pricing games with a Cuba cruise I tried to book last year

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

ORV;

Not so sure about that! I have a friend that is a ship’s doctor. He’ll tell you that the crew never knows when the cute little dogs will be brought aboard! If caught, the local authorities take you. So you don’t want to be an American, Indian, Etc. and be turn over to the Mexican, Panamanian, or Dubai authorities on drug charges! Always some willing to take the risk. 

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

And then this could have further delayed passengers...

This was not shared on the O Facebook page...

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/01/articles/drugs/oceania-crew-member-arrested-portmiami-smuggling-cocaine/

I was shocked  when I heard about this

We met  him years ago  he was so nice 

37 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'll bet they get away with it all the time. 

seems quite a few crew from all different lines try this

check the crew  news site

too bad  that is the end of a crew job

Very sad stories.  Kudos to the crew members who had to carry on like it was a regular day.  

We have had things go wrong on Oceania Cruises that we’re not the fault of the cruise line or crew.   The communication was adequate and crew members were professional and kind to passengers, even the ones who were nasty and over the top with complaints.  

Our dealings with staff, crew, officers has been very positive and professional.  

A few passengers think they are de facto crew members and they are irate if every little detail is not communicated to their satisfaction. 

I remember reading one live transatlantic blog a few years ago in which an Oceania newbie OP tore the Riviera crew to pieces.  Complaints went on and on in the most bitter fashion.  It was an imperfect cruise with noro and missed ports.  A couple weeks later we were onboard and met two couples who had been on the same transatlantic.   They took everything in stride and had a good time.  They disagreed completely with the blogger’s extreme negativity and said they were embarrassed for the OP.   

• Like 1