Ft Lauderdal Car Rental pick up

Coming off Serenade soon and the FLL location is less money than off site for the rental we want. From what I'm reading a taxi can't simply drop me at the rental site at the airport??
Anyone done this?

Edited by cruisinfanatic

If I remember right, most (not all) car rentals at FLL are located in the garage across from Terminal 1, Concourse B, so you can have the taxi drop you there. I believe these are basically the Southwest gates if the taxi driver asks for an airline.

Do make sure you factor that taxi ride in to your price, though, to show you the true price and then decide if it's still cheaper/more convenient than picking up the car at the pier, which only involves a free shuttle.

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Coming off Serenade soon and the FLL location is less money than off site for the rental we want. From what I'm reading a taxi can't simply drop me at the rental site at the airport??
Anyone done this?

There are around a half-dozen car rental agencies that service the cruise port that have free shuttles to/from the terminals.

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis/Budget/Payless at 2520 Miami Rd.

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out Western port exit.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

There are around a half-dozen car rental agencies that service the cruise port that have free shuttles to/from the terminals.

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis/Budget/Payless at 2520 Miami Rd.

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out Western port exit.

I know, but airport is $50 cheaper

11 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

what's the matter with this site the last few days?

I've got no info on the site problems except that certain forums have become inoperative for several hours.

We have done this after many cruises.  Taxi or Uber drops you outside the rental car return for your chosen agency.   You will need walk about 300 feet to reach the inside rental counter.   I have found the savings more than covers the $15 taxi ride.  

Interesting that airport is cheaper for you.  All rental agencies have an extra charge for airport pickup due to the airport charging them for the location.  Maybe the local outlets are fully booked and discouraging more rentals?

8 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Interesting that airport is cheaper for you.  All rental agencies have an extra charge for airport pickup due to the airport charging them for the location.  Maybe the local outlets are fully booked and discouraging more rentals?

I've also found the neighborhood locations tend to be less expensive than airport locations.  There is usually some sort of airport access tax/fee tacked on to our airport rentals.

Just did this in November after our Serenade repo.  Took an Uber or Lyft (can't remember which one) and they dropped us off inside the garage.  Had to walk through one garage (where most people drop their cars off) and into the one where you pick up.  Left the ship at around 8am (picked up bags and went through customs) and were on the road in the rental by 9am - not too bad