have you had a customs form recently?

SeaBands

It is the honor system. You are supposed to tell them. You are also subject to search. The instructions that you are given say that if you ae not over the limit you don't need to fill anything out. If you are over the forms are available and should be used.

Just returned to FLL on Koningsdam yesterday,  no form.  Customs did ask how much I spent and what the item was.  I was slightly over the $800 allowance, but they seemed more concerned about forbidden food items than with charging duty and just waived me through.

On 12/26/2018 - The mobile passport app asks the questions, but the ship no longer distributes the forms. The CBP agents will ask if you have anything to declare. We did not, so I'm not sure what happens if you do. 

27 minutes ago, POA1 said:

On 12/26/2018 - The mobile passport app asks the questions, but the ship no longer distributes the forms. The CBP agents will ask if you have anything to declare. We did not, so I'm not sure what happens if you do. 

Were they using the mobile passport app? Last winter they weren't using it. 

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Were they using the mobile passport app? Last winter they weren't using it. 

It was down the day we got off the ship, but we used the Global Entry line. (We have Global Entry.)  The app wasn't down, and you  could fill out the online thing and get your QR code, but the machines in the terminal weren't on. It may have been that they're deemed non-critical and the partial shutdown had just started.

We just returned yesterday as well.  The customs agent quickly looked at our passports and asked if we had anything to declare. Our porter told us that the government shut down has them low on agents on really busy days (yesterday was not a busy day by FLL standards).  She claimed that one busy day last weekend, some agents just folded their arms and let people pass through without even showing their documentation.

On our recent cruise from FLL, we arrived in Miami from the UK, they didn’t take our declaration form or stamp our passports. When we got off the cruise, the agent stopped and questioned my DP as his passport is new with no stamps at all. He said that it hadn’t been recorded that he’d even come into the US,  we had to show other documents and he wasn’t particularly friendly. He said that the agents on our arrival hadn’t done their job properly.  We just shrugged our shoulders, smiled (fairly) sweetly and the guy eventually let us through 😅

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

It was down the day we got off the ship, but we used the Global Entry line. (We have Global Entry.)  The app wasn't down, and you  could fill out the online thing and get your QR code, but the machines in the terminal weren't on. It may have been that they're deemed non-critical and the partial shutdown had just started.

Last year we arrived in on a busy day and they said they didn't have enough agents to have one be there just for the QR scanner. 

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Last year we arrived in on a busy day and they said they didn't have enough agents to have one be there just for the QR scanner. 

That may have been the case as well for us. All I know is that we grabbed a porter and told him that we had Mobile Passport and Global Entry. (That was sort of a fib. DFIL only has mobile passport.) The woman manning (womanning?) the rope told the porter that she'd let us through, but that he shouldn't bring anyone else through.) We got off the ship at 9:30 AM, so all the lines were manned by agents. The express line might have saved us 10 minutes, tops.

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That may have been the case as well for us. All I know is that we grabbed a porter and told him that we had Mobile Passport and Global Entry. (That was sort of a fib. DFIL only has mobile passport.) The woman manning (womanning?) the rope told the porter that she'd let us through, but that he shouldn't bring anyone else through.) We got off the ship at 9:30 AM, so all the lines were manned by agents. The express line might have saved us 10 minutes, tops.

They were so backed up last year that they stopped allowing people to disembark. Better to sit on the ship than stand in a line for an hour.