Next cruise: MSC Seaside vs. Horizon vs. HAL Nieuw Statendam?

aimcat

1 minute ago, aimcat said:

Guys I think I am going to swing for the inside YC - I dont know which itinerary to do as we have been to ports on both 7 day sailings that the Seaside offers. The YC inside suite is the 300 less than what we can do the Horizon Havana for but I feel the 8 day southern Caribbean itinerary on Horizon is a better nonliterary. 

Good for you. I havent done YC only Fantastica but everyone that does seems with  exception to love it.

It's good to try new things. I hope you have a fantastic time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aimcat said:

Guys I think I am going to swing for the inside YC - I dont know which itinerary to do as we have been to ports on both 7 day sailings that the Seaside offers. The YC inside suite is the 300 less than what we can do the Horizon Havana for but I feel the 8 day southern Caribbean itinerary on Horizon is a better nonliterary. 

Great news! Happy sailing

• Like 1

One more quick question - if there is a large interior handicap room, which they seem to be larger than the rest, would it be wrong to take it just for the size? They seem to be wider rooms, larger bathrooms? 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:33 PM, aimcat said:

It's just us, we are in our mid 30s, no kids. We are young minded, like to drink but nothing crazy, we love FOOD, like shows, comedy, music, and relaxation. 

I'm a cruiser with diverse experiences. I choose MSC when I am looking for a more quiet vacation (solo, spa trip, etc...). When I'm looking for a more 'fun' (for lack of better term) atmosphere, MSC would be low on my list. Based on what you have written, have you tried an Away Class on NCL? Howl at the moon, comedy central, broadway shows, etc.... seems right up your alley. With that said, MSC is an exceptional value based vacation if you want to concentrate more on relaxation. 

I will say this about food. It's subjective. However, look at the reviews as a whole. Over thousands of tallied reviews, MSC tends rank lower than their competitors in the area of food. Certainly some love it. Some hate is. Some find it 'ok'. Personally, I'm in the 'ok' range, but we do not cruise for food. 

Enjoy!

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info. I hope we are making the right choice. We have not booked yet. The YC experience is really pushing me more toward Seaside. For just 400 more I can do YC. As far as NCL is was way more for a basic balcony room than anything else I looked at for some reason! 

2 hours ago, aimcat said:

One more quick question - if there is a large interior handicap room, which they seem to be larger than the rest, would it be wrong to take it just for the size? They seem to be wider rooms, larger bathrooms? 

That really is up to you.  I am not sure if MSC allows those rooms to be booked without calling and speaking with someone.  I think the YC experience will definitely spoil you.  If you do end up doing, please be sure to let us all know how you enjoyed it!  Once you travel in the YC, it is a bit hard to go back to a "regular" cruise!! 

Off course it would be wrong. I dont’t know if it’s even possible to book them if you dont need it, but ethically and morally it’s just very wrong if you ask me.

• Like 1

Just now, Magnelasagne said:

Off course it would be wrong. I dont’t know if it’s even possible to book them if you dont need it, but ethically and morally it’s just very wrong if you ask me.

Well there are only a limited number of YC inside rooms, so I honestly wouldn't have any issues booking one if it was the only room left in that category. There are MANY other handicapped rooms all over the ship.  

• Like 1

The risk you take when booking one of these cabins is you could be moved if someone else who needs one books it.  If it's worth the risk, then go ahead.  Who knows, if there weren't any other insides available, were that to happen, they would have to upgrade you to a YC balcony!  😃

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, aimcat said:

Thank you for the info. I hope we are making the right choice. We have not booked yet. The YC experience is really pushing me more toward Seaside. For just 400 more I can do YC. As far as NCL is was way more for a basic balcony room than anything else I looked at for some reason! 

I totally hear you. Cost is always a consideration, but I don't always go with the cheapest option. I ike to look at overall value. Last June, the equinox was about $500 more per person than seaside. YC was only a few hundred dollars more than equinox. We chose equinox. I've sailed in YC. It is a fine experience. I personally found it very nice. Our service wasn't anything I'd rate as exceptional, but when you look at thousands of reviews on a whole, I'm in the minority. Keep expectations in line with the price paid and you'll be just fine. 🙂

• Like 1

BermudaBound - help me here (others can chime in as well) - if Horizon Havana Cabana was 3200, YC inside suite 3700, and HAL NS Basic Veranda room was 2900 (I rounded all numbers up) - what would you go with? 

15 minutes ago, aimcat said:

BermudaBound - help me here (others can chime in as well) - if Horizon Havana Cabana was 3200, YC inside suite 3700, and HAL NS Basic Veranda room was 2900 (I rounded all numbers up) - what would you go with? 

Been forever since I've sailed Carnival, but based on just that info (and your original post), I'd choose Horizon hands down. Wouldn't even be close choice for me.

Here is my rational: If I'm understanding this correct, those Cabana cabins are adult only? That's something that I give monetary value to. This is for a Caribbean itinerary? If so, a balcony cabin is worth more than a port intensive itinerary. Another huge plus. You know the carnival product and you like it. Why pay more for the unknown? Especially given you'll have kids and be in an inside? Again, my priorities.

Something else to consider, Do they all include alcohol? That's not a huge factor for me, but is for some. 

This is the MSC boards, so I'm guessing most here will select YC on MSC. I'd book the Horizon and not look back.

19 minutes ago, aimcat said:

Keep in mind that all of your drinks (including the drinks and snacks in the mini bar) are included in the YC. The cost for drinks adds up quickly when you're paying for the a la carte. Also keep in mind that YC inside room will be smaller than the Havana Cabana room (much smaller if you're looking at a Havana Cabana suite) and, obviously, not have a balcony. We had booked a Havana Cabana suite on Vista at one point (we ended up canceling), and I was very excited about the room itself. My take is that the dedicated Havana area is not as exclusive and does not come with as many amenities as the YC. So it really comes down to what's important to you. We sailed in a deluxe suite in the YC recently, and we had a great experience, but we did not love the ship as a whole.

• Like 2

As far as the Havana room and the Carnival sailing coming with a drink package - NO that is extra, where YC has a one up for me. My husband and I do have a few drinks each day. Our last 5 day sailing with Carnival the drink package was about 400 extra, so for a week I expect double that. Maybe more now. So I guess count that in also. 

I expect the inside rooms in YC to be not as fine and big as the balcony rooms. We were sort of sacrificing the balcony to get in YC. The balcony rooms for the sailings we were looking at were either sold out or about 1200 more. I cant see spending 1200 more for a balcony when I can hop outside to see the port. We have always had a balcony in the past though.....soooo. 

On Carnival the only thing that was doable for us was the Havana Cabana or Havana aft balcony. 

3 minutes ago, aimcat said:

As far as the Havana room and the Carnival sailing coming with a drink package - NO that is extra, where YC has a one up for me. My husband and I do have a few drinks each day. Our last 5 day sailing with Carnival the drink package was about 400 extra, so for a week I expect double that. Maybe more now. So I guess count that in also. 

I expect the inside rooms in YC to be not as fine and big as the balcony rooms. We were sort of sacrificing the balcony to get in YC. The balcony rooms for the sailings we were looking at were either sold out or about 1200 more. I cant see spending 1200 more for a balcony when I can hop outside to see the port. We have always had a balcony in the past though.....soooo. 

On Carnival the only thing that was doable for us was the Havana Cabana or Havana aft balcony. 

I would book the YC inside "and not look back".  Once again, there is no comparison between anything on Carnival (sorry) to the Yacht Club.  You're literally comparing apples and oranges.  The Havana room will be similar in size to the YC room with the exception of the outside area.  But, you will have your private pool area just a deck or two up from your room.  The drinks alone make up the difference in cost between the Horizon and the Seaside.  As long as you guys are open minded and enjoy meeting people from different cultures/countries, enjoy lots of different kinds of food (the YC restaurant is excellent but the menus will have lots of seafood, risottos, veal, along with the usual stuff like steak, lobster, and chicken), enjoy entertainment that is focused more on singing and acrobatics, then I say go for it.   Also, if you like Gelato you will be in heaven.  You can order it at breakfast or lunch in the YC restaurant and it truly is the best gelato you can have at sea in my opinion.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Have you ever sailed in an Aft balcony before? I am absolutely in love with them, especially in the Caribbean. 

No we never have. We have only cruised mid ship before.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we booked the YC inside cabin for MSC Seaside we payed more than we wanted for this but did it because it seemed so awesome. We have lately been looking at prices and some deals we can get again on Horizon for a Havana room, Symphony Balcony, Holland NS Vista Suite, and maybe Norwegian Breakaway all at a better deal and all with balconies and Yes I know its not the YC but some of these we can do at better pricing. So I am not sure what to do. We can always cancel the MSC we booked as we have only done a deposit so far. 

• Like 1

I would stick with MSC to try a new line. I don't think you will have a bad cruise in the YC from what I have read. We are super pumped to try it for our March sailing. Many of the reviews you will read will say the food is awful. The staff downright rude. Its just not American. But from researching on the net at least, I've deduced that to mean the food isn't like Applebees (huge salty, saucy portions) and not all the workers are the larger than life, in your face, flair-wearing servers at Applebees. One popular reviewer this past year kept lamenting on the lack of salt in the food. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because he shows picture of his Lawry's seasoning salt he shakes all over his food regardless. 

We sailed Vista on an 8 night Southern Caribbean in a balcony cabin in August and it was the best cruise to date. We loved it. We know Seaside is something totally different and can't wait to try it. My daughter will turn 12 this year and we have a Havana Cabana room and inside room across the hall booked for March 2020 on Panorama for a Mexican Riviera sailing. We're super pumped for that too. 

For MSC, don't forget to have them status match whatever cruise line loyalty program will be most advantageous. We saved 5% off our cruise doing that. 

Finally, for Carnival in the future, don't forget about the AARP gift cards or the Amex statement credit offer. For last year's cruise, I paid for everything a combination of the two and saved enough $$$ (nearly $500) to buy a drink package for one of us!

I am booked for my first MSC cruise this September so can't comment on MSC yet but I've sailed HAL and was very disappointed.  Ships are small, decor was dated and a much older crowd on board.  I've also sailed Carnival, Princess, NCL and RCCL.  To date my favourite has been RCCL.  Large elegant ships with lots of activities on board.  IMO I think your age group will be board on HAL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, mnjcruiser said:

I am booked for my first MSC cruise this September so can't comment on MSC yet but I've sailed HAL and was very disappointed.  Ships are small, decor was dated and a much older crowd on board.  I've also sailed Carnival, Princess, NCL and RCCL.  To date my favourite has been RCCL.  Large elegant ships with lots of activities on board.  IMO I think your age group will be board on HAL.

You bring up a very interesting point. It is no longer relevant to compare cruise lines as a whole since there are extreme differences between the ships of each line. Example: the older/smaller ships of HAL (Amsterdam, Noordam, etc..) should compare very evenly to the older ships in MSC (armonia, etc..). However, the newer ships in Hal would compare better to the newer ships in MSC. Also, the newer/bigger ships in HAL are not necessarily an older crowd. My last sailing on the Zuiderdam was kid central, while my sailing on the Amsterdam had very few children. RCL and NCL are similar. I hear people often say they would never sail on  another NCL cruise, yet the only ship they have been on was the NCL Star. The Away class NCL ships (Breakaway, Getaway, etc..) blow the older NCL ships out of the water in terms of what they offer. I've recently sailed on RCL Rhapsody (identical to vision/grandeur) and its definitely  an older ships which is "small with dated decor" and is entirely different than Anthem/oasis/etc.. I guess my point is that as cruise lines have expanded, making accurate comparisons should be done against specific ships verses entire cruise lines as there are vast differences within each line. Hope this helps :)

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, floridian1 said:

Why aren't you considering NCL..we are also your age and we loved our NCL cruise on escape getaway and bliss...escape and bliss are great for foodies and also have a nice craft bear venue.  We are trying out msc this year though bevause ncl prices have gone up too much.

NCL is great for foodies, as long as you are willing to pay extra at the specialty restaurants. Otherwise, it's pretty mainstream cruise food (not a bad thing).  I've only been off the Epic a few days.  Nothing was particularly memorable except all the fruit was perfectly ripe. I cook a lot and consider myself a "foodie".  That being said, I adjust my expectations accordingly.  I finished pretty much everything I chose - and enjoyed it - with one exception:  the pizza.  

Edited by SeaTheW0rld
more.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, mnjcruiser said:

Some of us LOVE those small, old ships.  The Maasdam remains my favorite ship, to date, followed by the Costa Allegra and Costa Europa (both scrap, now, sadly).

• Like 1