Government advice for travelers after Brexit. Including no deal.

daiB

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

My 2 notifications that you have received are not on another thread just"likes" of you 2 posts.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !! Sorry, it is taking me a while to get used to this new system !!!

Have been looking all over the place for you !!!!

Glad you liked the posts though :classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

I am not a scaremongerer and certainly a half glass full guy but having just returned from Austria, an EU country, and having to wait over half an hour to get through passport control at Manchester airport into my own country with a British passport and knowing what the government say and like I said previously who believes a word what they say I shall wait with baited breath on my Mediterranean cruise in May if there is a no deal and see what happens.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, daiB said:

No once again you are scaremongering. It has been made quite clear that there will be little change.

What cruisers do is not trading, just visiting. Passports will be checked but most of the details can be checked on line before the ship gets to the port. 

Once again you show show your lack of understanding of cruising. There are no fast lines or slow lines you are confused with flying.

And yet again 'daiB' you show your lack of understanding of the legal situation which is fast developing.  You're still failing to grasp the real legal impact of leaving without an agreement, if, God forbid, we're forced down that route - which nobody apart from the hard line fanatics like Jacob Rees-Mogg (and idiot-comics like the Express) dare contemplate.

Of course there are no fast or slow lanes as things stand - give me some credit!  You really think I don't understand the present quick on, quick off card system, cards scanned out and scanned in again?

You're assuming that that will continue, but as the present pre-port checking system depends entirely on the agreements we have by virtue of our present EU membership, and that will disappear overnight, it's naive in the extreme to believe that the present system will continue.  And, just to help you to understand, my reference to the slow lane has nothing to do with the present arrangement, where there are of course no lanes - just a queue to leave and rejoin the ship in most cases.  It has everything to do with a post-Brexit situation which may well involve queuing airport-style in a customs building.

You say it's 'been made quite clear that there will be little change'.  Could you evidence that comments, please, in relation to ports visited?

10 minutes ago, docco said:

And yet again 'daiB' you show your lack of understanding of the legal situation which is fast developing.  You're still failing to grasp the real legal impact of leaving without an agreement, if, God forbid, we're forced down that route - which nobody apart from the hard line fanatics like Jacob Rees-Mogg (and idiot-comics like the Express) dare contemplate.

Of course there are no fast or slow lanes as things stand - give me some credit!  You really think I don't understand the present quick on, quick off card system, cards scanned out and scanned in again?

You're assuming that that will continue, but as the present pre-port checking system depends entirely on the agreements we have by virtue of our present EU membership, and that will disappear overnight, it's naive in the extreme to believe that the present system will continue.  And, just to help you to understand, my reference to the slow lane has nothing to do with the present arrangement, where there are of course no lanes - just a queue to leave and rejoin the ship in most cases.  It has everything to do with a post-Brexit situation which may well involve queuing airport-style in a customs building.

You say it's 'been made quite clear that there will be little change'.  Could you evidence that comments, please, in relation to ports visited?

Look at the government advice. Above.

11 minutes ago, docco said:

The people were given the choice of in or out not this deal or that deal or no deal.

P&O have reassured people and I'm positive we will have minimal disruption.

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

How many times has the current government made comments in the last 2+yrs only to change their minds or move position on Brexit. For anybody to repeat and to rely on what they say is either very misguided or believe anything.

Let us all be honest does anyone whether it be the government, the EU, P&O or any major company in the UK have any real idea about what will happen after 29th March I very much doubt it. But taking it away from Brexit there are some cruisers who stick up and would believe anything P&O would say and if they said the moon was made of choose they would agree with them and stick up for them.

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

How many times has the current government made comments in the last 2+yrs only to change their minds or move position on Brexit. For anybody to repeat and to rely on what they say is either very misguided or believe anything.

As it happens I fully agree with you I would not trust anything politicians say, especially with Brexit. 

But this is written government advice. Not politically motivated claptrap. 

Thre ar very many problems which the country country will face if we do not get an agreement but I do not think this is one of them.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I voted to leave because I wanted our MPs to dictate our destiny but it seems most of the MPs want the EU to dictate our destiny.

Europe wants our money on several fronts so a way will be found to accommodate cruisers and Turkey and St Petersburg are 2 examples.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I voted to leave because I wanted our MPs to dictate our destiny but it seems most of the MPs want the EU to dictate our destiny.

Europe wants our money on several fronts so a way will be found to accommodate cruisers and Turkey and St Petersburg are 2 examples.

Having cruised to St Petersburg, Turkey and the USA the hardest most difficult and the one that takes the longest to get though customs/immigration is the USA by a long way.

37 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !! Sorry, it is taking me a while to get used to this new system !!!

Have been looking all over the place for you !!!!

Glad you liked the posts though :classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

This made me think...............confused??? you will be!

Can you tell I'm trying to lighten the mood? 🙂

7 minutes ago, daiB said:

As I've tried to explain to you, but you don't want to listen because you're so set on the fixed agenda that nothing can possibly change, the government Brexit/cruising advice actually says very little - particularly in relation to the crucial port visits that can make or break a cruise.

It has in the last few days been added to, though, with the following point:

"What about going on shore?

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore."

Now why do you think that's been added to a section about the impact of a no-deal Brexit, when it was always the case that a passport might need to be shown (but rarely was)?  You obviously haven't spotted the real reason - which is that passports may well replace the current card system altogether, and that would have a huge impact on processing time when we're talking about potentially a couple of thousand people at a time.

Remember David Dingle, ex-CEO of P&O?  This is what he had to say about Brexit:

"Our port stays would get longer and that gets very expensive. Equally we can’t have our passengers in every European port taking hours to get ashore off the ship.

For example, every Monday, our German brand AIDA arrives in Southampton, bringing more than 3,000 German passengers, all very keen to get ashore as soon as possible and do tours to London, Bath, the New Forest and so on.

We cannot have a situation where it’s taking hours and hours for them to get ashore. That would be completely unacceptable and unnecessary, so we absolutely have to get that resolved."

If you can't accept hard facts from me, maybe you might from Dingle, who does know what he's talking about.  You still seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land about all this.

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The people were given the choice of in or out not this deal or that deal or no deal.

P&O have reassured people and I'm positive we will have minimal disruption.

Leaving aside our possible differences on Brexit, P&O have issued statements to try to reassure people, but actually those statements say virtually nothing.  They make no reassurances whatever about the central issue - how long is it going to take to get off the ship at ports visited and how long to get back on again.  At present it's minutes, but post-Brexit (without a deal) it could well be an hour or two for passports to be processed, simply because it takes a lot longer to process passports that to zap a boarding card.

2 minutes ago, docco said:

As I've tried to explain to you, but you don't want to listen because you're so set on the fixed agenda that nothing can possibly change, the government Brexit/cruising advice actually says very little - particularly in relation to the crucial port visits that can make or break a cruise.

It has in the last few days been added to, though, with the following point:

"What about going on shore?

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore."

Now why do you think that's been added to a section about the impact of a no-deal Brexit, when it was always the case that a passport might need to be shown (but rarely was)?  You obviously haven't spotted the real reason - which is that passports may well replace the current card system altogether, and that would have a huge impact on processing time when we're talking about potentially a couple of thousand people at a time.

Remember David Dingle, ex-CEO of P&O?  This is what he had to say about Brexit:

"Our port stays would get longer and that gets very expensive. Equally we can’t have our passengers in every European port taking hours to get ashore off the ship.

For example, every Monday, our German brand AIDA arrives in Southampton, bringing more than 3,000 German passengers, all very keen to get ashore as soon as possible and do tours to London, Bath, the New Forest and so on.

We cannot have a situation where it’s taking hours and hours for them to get ashore. That would be completely unacceptable and unnecessary, so we absolutely have to get that resolved."

If you can't accept hard facts from me, maybe you might from Dingle, who does know what he's talking about.  You still seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land about all this.

It will be s the same as your cloud cuckoo land as well. You are just stirring the pot. You are clearly against no deal and are determined to show people how bad things are going to be. I am against no deal, perhaps more than you but this is not the right issue.

4 minutes ago, docco said:

Leaving aside our possible differences on Brexit, P&O have issued statements to try to reassure people, but actually those statements say virtually nothing.  They make no reassurances whatever about the central issue - how long is it going to take to get off the ship at ports visited and how long to get back on again.  At present it's minutes, but post-Brexit (without a deal) it could well be an hour or two for passports to be processed, simply because it takes a lot longer to process passports that to zap a boarding card.

No one zaps a cruise card apart from crew. Have you been on a cruise.?

8 minutes ago, daiB said:

No one zaps a cruise card apart from crew. Have you been on a cruise.?

For goodness sake!  You're still missing the key point that instead of the crew being able to zap a cruise card at the disembarkation point (out and then back in again) Brexit may well dispose of the entire system altogether, with the result that passengers are required to queue, with passports, at a customs check point - as non-EU citizens.

Have you ever been outside the UK except on a cruise?

"Many other regulations will come into play once the UK gives back control to the European Union. At present a British passport allows the holder to travel and stay in any EU country. The only check border officials may make is to ensure that the passport belongs to the person."

Imagine how much additional time is going to be added when the border checks become more detailed, post-Brexit.  This is the point that you're missing daib.

3 minutes ago, docco said:

"Many other regulations will come into play once the UK gives back control to the European Union. At present a British passport allows the holder to travel and stay in any EU country. The only check border officials may make is to ensure that the passport belongs to the person."

Imagine how much additional time is going to be added when the border checks become more detailed, post-Brexit.  This is the point that you're missing daib.

Clearly you are not listening as you have it fixed and are determined to upset people who are going to cruise. 

12 minutes ago, daiB said:

Clearly you are not listening as you have it fixed and are determined to upset people who are going to cruise. 

Sadly you still don’t get it.

This has nothing whatever to do with upsetting people (and for the record I’m directly affected by this myself, having taken a gamble which I still hope will pay off on there being either a late deal or a postponement) but everything to do with providing real information rather than false hopes based on false premises.

You have a lot of knowledge of cruising, but very little of the legal implications of a no deal Brexit.

4 minutes ago, docco said:

Sadly you still don’t get it.

This has nothing whatever to do with upsetting people (and for the record I’m directly affected by this myself, having taken a gamble which I still hope will pay off on there being either a late deal or a postponement) but everything to do with providing real information rather than false hopes based on false premises.

You have a lot of knowledge of cruising, but very little of the legal implications of a no deal Brexit.

And quite clearly you think you do. Which is odd but no one knows what is going tp happen. 

However the government seems to be confident with its statement. So perhaps on this matter they know more than you.

docco, I don't mean to be disrespectful but I think you are now getting a little hysterical in putting forward you views.

The thing we must all agree on though is that no one including yourself can do anything about the situation.

It may be disruptive or it may not we will all find out soon enough but for the time being we should all stay calm and not encourage unnecessary anxiety.

Let's all look farward to our future cruising and the pleasure we all get from them.

Edited by P-L-B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

And quite clearly you think you do. Which is odd but no one knows what is going tp happen. 

However the government seems to be confident with its statement. So perhaps on this matter they know more than you.

Once again, where in the government statement does it give any specific reassurances about the shape of post-Brexit cruising?  It’s a bland statement which gives no reassurances at all, but does add some warnings about passports.

This is my take on post Brexit cruising. When the ship arrives at the first EU port all passports will be checked, you go through immigration in a similar way to when you arrive by ship in the USA or Russia. All subsequent calls at S...…. what the heck the bl8888y computer has started readin this post and the whole topic

Random clicking stopped the voice, weird, to continue

All subsequent calls at Shengen ports would just require the cruise card. however, if the ship calls at a non Schengen or non EU port the process resets.

I flew to Tenerife a few weeks ago and all our passports were checked at the airport It took about 15 mins for the 157 passengers with 2 passport officers

Edited by davecttr

Docco, with respect this is the wrong forum for Brexit standpoints, there are plenty of newspaper and media related Brexit forums available to comment on. The country rightly or wrongly voted to leave and we all have to stand by the consequences and I for one will be happy if the worse that happens is that it interferes with my holiday.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here, I think if you want Dai to say that you are right and he is wrong you may wait a long time !

Bring back tipping threads - much more interesting !

Edited by bee-ess