Cruise in February

allncham

I will be taking my family consisting of myself, DW, and 3 DD ranging in age from 2-13 on the Paradise in February.  I am considering the FTTF so we don't have to carry the luggage and will have access to the room faster.  This would be really nice with three DD's.  My question is would it really be necessary being the cruise is in February.  Are these cruises really crowded?  However, it is the week of Valentines day, would that make a difference?  The cost for the FTTF isn't a huge deal, but those are funds which could be spent somewhere else if you all think it would be a waste.  I appreciate any input.

I'm not a fan of FTTF, but it is an individual decision.  Only you can decide if boarding a ship an hour or so earlier than others is worth it.  As far as luggage, if you have a lot, let the porters handle it.  The Paradise is a small ship, so it doesn't have the high guest numbers that the Dream or Vista classes have.

Yes, if not all fulll they are nearly full, do a mock booking and see what cabins are available.  I can tell you from experience, FTTF is all worth it.  If you bring carry on luggage or even want to roll your luggage onto the ship you have total access to your cabin right away.  I do have to admit, there have been a couple of times our luggage did not arrive priority but I have written to Carnival about that and they credit me some $$ for the inconvenience.  The priority boarding and disembarkation is very nice too.

I'm not sure I understand. You say you don't want to carry the luggage and want faster room access, but don't think it will be busy.  Those are completely different things. Are you talking about carrying luggage if lots of people are boarding?

Ships still sail fairly full most of the year. 

You do not have to carry your luggage onto the ship.  Your luggage you hand off to the porters before you check in.  You can take a carry on with swim suits and medicines or whatever the kids may need urgently before 1:30 when rooms are accessible to everyone.  Then when you board before the rooms are ready, the kids can run into a restroom and put swimsuits on and you can sit on Lido and have lunch and let them play in the pool (or get in with them if you brought your suits in your carry-on).  There are towels available on the pool deck.  You have everything you need right there, whether it is crowded or not will not matter to you at that point.  🙂

Even with FFTF your luggage may not show up at your room until dinner or later, but it is NOT worth dragging your suitcases all over the ship while you are trying to start your vacation.  Just pack anything super essential in one carryon bag and enjoy yourself.

Edited by pjhootch

I'm thinking that it might be worth it for you, because I note one of your party is a toddler.  There may be more 'stuff', and a need for a nap.  Keep in mind that you can do it with a mininum of luggage, as shorts for port days a a couple of swimsuits and a dress for dinner is all you need.  And if you are all sharing one cabin, there just isn't space for a lot of 'stuff'.  Five more years and it will be madness.  EM

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, evandbob said:

I'm not a fan of FTTF, but it is an individual decision.  Only you can decide if boarding a ship an hour or so earlier than others is worth it.  As far as luggage, if you have a lot, let the porters handle it.  The Paradise is a small ship, so it doesn't have the high guest numbers that the Dream or Vista classes have.

I'm sailing the Paradise 1/24/19 and have purchased the FTTF, yet we've been given and 1-1:30 boarding appointment time.  Should that not be the case?  First Carnival cruise.  Many previous on NCL & RCCL so do not know what to expect compared to those. 

Or you can always arrive at the port around 12:30-1:00pm. By the time you check in you’ll be able to go straight to your stateroom which will be ready. Lines inside the terminal will most likely be shorter, and the crowds at the buffet will have also died down. 

Ever since I started arriving at the port later, embarkation day has become much more relaxing and leisurely. Plus I don’t have to spend money on FTTF which I personally consider a waste of money. But I respect those who think that it’s the best invention since the wheel. 

Edited by Tapi

4 hours ago, akdgfd1976 said:

I'm sailing the Paradise 1/24/19 and have purchased the FTTF, yet we've been given and 1-1:30 boarding appointment time.  Should that not be the case?  First Carnival cruise.  Many previous on NCL & RCCL so do not know what to expect compared to those. 

Since you purchased FTTF, you can go to the port to check in earlier.  Most of our ports opened doors at 10:30, so we usually arrive around 10:00.

23 hours ago, akdgfd1976 said:

Even folks who purchase FTTF get to select (or get assigned by TA) a check-in time.  One reason is that you may cancel FTTF the day before, and well, you still need to know when to check-in!

Also, note that check-in time and boarding time are different, though for 1pm to 1:30pm there is probably minimal gap, probably 20 min max, unless something got delayed.

6 minutes ago, allncham said:

I certainly do appreciate the input everyone has offered.  We'll take all these points into consideration when making our decision.  We are really looking forward to this trip!

We always purchase FTTF.   You do not have to carry all of your luggage on, of course.  But regardless, the carryons for a family can get cumbersome to carry around.  So FTTF allows you to drop those off in your cabin.  Also, you can board immediately after Platinum/Diamond and suites - we find that we are able to drop off the carryon luggage to our cabin and still make it back up to Lido for a bite of lunch before the huge rush of people descends.  Easier to find a place to sit to feed your children before the bulk of people board the ship.

Also, the guest services special line - it is very helpful when it is crowded to have the special line for Platinum and FTTF.

Disembarkation - easy as pie if you are able to carry off all of your luggage - you can be among the first to leave the ship.

To my husband and I, it is worth every dime of the cost!