How is KLM airlines economy flights ?

sinned19

Hi ,

We have a June cruise to  Scandinavia with Princess and were looking for  non- stop flights to Copenhagen from JFK. How is flying  economy with KLM airlines? We want to get flights through their EZ air  system as we can cancel up to 45 days before flying. Is their a better airline you recommend ? Thanks

If you are looking for non-stop flights from US to Nordic countries, KLM does not offer any, since they only fly between US and their hub in Amsterdam. However, if you still decide to pick KLM flights the change of planes in AMS should be fairly smooth experience as if and when all flights are on a single ticket, then you can check the luggage all the way to the final destination and you can do airside transfer within single terminal complex with just a simple passport check.

We flew KLM from Toronto to Amsterdam, then to Tanzania, from Cape Town to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam back to Toronto. All were fine except the first one (Toronto to Amsterdam) which was on a 747 with less legroom than the usual if you can believe that. Connecting in Amsterdam is easy.

47 minutes ago, maryann ns said:

We flew KLM from Toronto to Amsterdam, then to Tanzania, from Cape Town to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam back to Toronto. ...Connecting in Amsterdam is easy.

Connecting within the Schengen Zone is more difficult than your connections. You were in transit in both directions. The OP would need to go through immigration in Amsterdam, even though the luggage would be checked through. This means they would need more time than you did for the connection. 

I find KLM to be on par with British Airways and Air France. In general, the service and standard are slightly above the major US carriers (Though if you’re unfortunate enough to end up on an older plane that’s due for upgrades and refurbishment, it’s disappointing on any airline).

SAS is competing with low-cost Norwegian these days, and I’ve definitely seen it take a toll on trans-Atlantic service. No free checked baggage in the lowest fare class, and only one complimentary soft drink for the entire flight (plus water throughout and usually a juice box with the pre-landing snack). I’d actually rate them below United for trans-Atlantic service, though they do have a bit more legroom.

Connecting in Amsterdam isn’t complicated, and from my experiences, clearing Schengen immigration is usually fairly quick. I have had the misfortune of bad timing when there was a particularly long queue, so you do need to plan a reasonable layover. 1.5 hours is generally enough without delays, but 2 hours is a safer bet.