Portable Hammock Set

SkinnyCow

12 hours ago, SkinnyCow said:

i have actually seen my exact room and there is a way to have it hooked up to some metal beams on our balcony, i just felt this would be a safer alternative IF it fits. The issue is that i can not find the dimensions of the balcony.

You have “ACTUALLY SEEN ... EXACT ROOM”?  

Anyway, you can sort of figure the dimensions of a 55 sq. ft. balcony — anywhere between 11’ x 5’ and (more likely) 8’ x 6.8’.  Although, I expect some of that area would be occupied by the railing and plexiglass screen below it.

Rather than being concerned with the size of the balcony, I would consider the information provided by Cheng, who is a serving Chief Engineer and has sailed on cruise ships. He has a detailed knowledge of current SOLAS and Flag State regulations.

Since the Star Princess fire in 2006, fire regulations were rewritten and cruise lines are certainly more aware of the need of preventing balcony fires. Unless you can provide a fire rating certificate, acceptable to Flag State and/or Class Society, you should not be permitted to have this on your balcony.

The Cabin Steward will not have the skill sets to make this decision, but should report it and it will be investigated by the Safety Officer/Engineering Officer.

I used that exact same hammock.  Just bring a TIG welder and a couple of iron posts and you can have it set up in a jiffy.  While you are at it, hang your portable BBQ off the balcony railing.  Make sure you bring charcoal starter fluid.  They don't carry it in the gift shop.   :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The topic is somewhat amusing (and also interesting).  Even if you could find a way to attach the thing you would have to take it down whenever you left the cabin ….as your steward would have to deal with the issue (and likely report it to his/her supervisor).  There would certainly be fire and other safety concerns....such as whether the device meets the strict International SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) standards.  But my ex wife's husband once had a more intriguing idea.  He wanted to bring a small trampoline to put on his balcony (he later decided not to try this stunt).  My thought was of a cruise trying to use a trampoline on their balcony....making a bad move....any flying overboard..

My advice, based on an awful lot of cruise experience over more then 40 years, is to leave the hammock at home and have a great time on your cruise 🙂

Hank

• Like 1

Just guessing security would gloom on this general principal. Frame looks way to long, normal cabin width is about 10 feet. Balcony partitions usually metal frames sturdy enough for the weather and to support plastic, fiberglass panels. Not designed to take lateral stress of a body.

Royal's cruise ticket contract says you're only allowed to bring on clothes and personal effects. I doubt they'd allow a hammock. 

"Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearing apparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise, including suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items."

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I understand very well how a hammock works.  I am not certain that OP does.

I suggest you re-read my post: for a hammock to be more than a hanging bag, you need a good distance between the two points from which it is hung.  I repeat:  “try to visualize a hammock”.

And I suggest you open your mind a bit and if you still don't believe me, check out the multiple threads I posted, which include photographs of people enjoying their hammocks on their balconies.  

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You have “ACTUALLY SEEN ... EXACT ROOM”?  

Anyway, you can sort of figure the dimensions of a 55 sq. ft. balcony — anywhere between 11’ x 5’ and (more likely) 8’ x 6.8’.  Although, I expect some of that area would be occupied by the railing and plexiglass screen below it.

Not sure why you think the railing and glass on the edge of a balcony somehow subtracts from the overall area of the balcony... they are vertical elements, you know.  

Anyway, even in your "worst case scenario" of a balcony that is 8' by 6.8', that still gives you a diagonal of more than ten feet.  So your example of how a hammock won't work is, in fact, PROVING that a hammock CAN work.  

In the future, you might be better off not replying to threads that you don't have personal knowledge about.

3 hours ago, boulders said:

Royal's cruise ticket contract says you're only allowed to bring on clothes and personal effects. I doubt they'd allow a hammock. 

"Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearing apparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise, including suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items."

Better not bring a camera, tripod, beach umbrella, laptop, MP3 player with speaker/headphones, inflatable water toys / beachballs, Kindle/Nook/ereader, snorkel/mask/goggles/fins, or any number of other items that one can enjoy on a cruise.  :classic_rolleyes:

Just because YOU don't consider a hammock reasonable doesn't mean that someone else doesn't.  

6 hours ago, boulders said:

Brining a hammock is a feasible possession to bring, just like any other beach type objects, umbrellas, chairs, floating devices, snorkel set, reef shoes. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a hammock but I have done some of the others on occasion.

Perhaps one of the mesh/net hammocks, rather than this giant canvas thing with a metal frame that requires a great deal of space to accommodate the frame and the wooden cross pieces.

I'd also be stunned if a cruise line let someone secure something heavy (once you're in it) to any structure.  Sure, there MIGHT be a sturdy bar or rail... but also the somewhat less sturdy sprinkler system, etc.  I guess people rig up all kinds of privacy curtains and holiday lights inside, and flags and decorations outside, so maybe I'm wrong.

The OP might just be trolling to see what ridiculousness we can all be fooled into debating.  Smile!

2 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Perhaps one of the mesh/net hammocks, rather than this giant canvas thing with a metal frame that requires a great deal of space to accommodate the frame and the wooden cross pieces.

I'd also be stunned if a cruise line let someone secure something heavy (once you're in it) to any structure.  Sure, there MIGHT be a sturdy bar or rail... but also the somewhat less sturdy sprinkler system, etc.  I guess people rig up all kinds of privacy curtains and holiday lights inside, and flags and decorations outside, so maybe I'm wrong.

The OP might just be trolling to see what ridiculousness we can all be fooled into debating.  Smile!

You obviously didn't read one single comment in this entire thread..... :classic_rolleyes:

Aw, the good old pythagorean theorem at work!   Glad I paid attention in geometry class.  Haha

PS: Oops, this thread is moving too fast.  I was referring to Brillohead's post #40.  Sorry about that. 

Edited by ldubs

17 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

I initially thought the same thing, then saw all of the posts showing folks using their hammocks.