Princess Cays for 1st time

Alaska05

We rarely do Caribbean cruises, but will be doing Eastern route on Regal soon. 

Exactly what is available on Princess Cays?

I've read numerous threads and still am a bit confused.

Food -- is there a charge for food

Beverages --  I don't drink alcohol or beer.  Is there a charge for non-alcoholic beverages

I  can't be out in the sun for extended periods so am just planning on walking around for a bit and then head back to the ship.

Thanks for any info.

No charge for food.  There is a plentiful barbecue with a variety of choices and no charge for soft drinks.  Disney’s Castaway Cay is our favorite cruise private island, but Princess does a nice job on Princess Cays.

• Like 1

I also like to avoid the sun. My strategy is to get to the island early and leave before lunch. While there's food available, I like the food on the ship better. We take bottles of water. There's no charge for water, lemonade, and tea, but there is a charge for sodas.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Princess Cays is a tender port.   If the waves or weather don't look good for the entire day, the captain will skip the port and the day will be a sea day.  

Its a nice beach day, food is brought from the ship and a buffet BBQ is set up under huts. They have water and ice tea or lemonade in the huts with the food.   

The bars have canned sodas only so they are charge, as on the ship.  

The ship can also be really nice to enjoy as a lot of folks are on the island!  

13 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

Are there towels on the island or do we bring from the ship or have to have our own

No towels on the island nor do you have to have your own. Just bring them from the ship for Princess Cays or any beach or water excursion on any other ports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it's a nice beach day. Get there early, and you can definitely have a nice spot in the shade. Just drag your chaise whereever you want to.

MUST WEAR WATER SHOES! unless you want cuts and pricks on your feet.

It's a nice snorkeling spot, especially for beginners, and it's right off the beach. Lots of fish and crabs.

Food is very basic (bbq ribs, hot dogs, burgers, knockwurst type sausages), coleslaw, corn on the cob, fruit, basic desserts like cookies and brownies; but it's free and not bad. Iced tea and water are available for free as well, and I think, maybe, lemonade.

Princess Caye is much better than Harvest Caye in my opinion. And the food is provided!!!! Probably, because it's a tender port. The sand is softer than on Harvest C, and the water is nice and clear (at least all the times we've been on Princess Caye). The only two things I am unhappy about are the sharp rocks (hence, the water shoes are a must) and the last two times the wind was blowing the grill smoke on to the beach, think - a thick cloud of smoke on the beach and water, so I got a migraine.

• Like 2

If you forget your towels (please try not to) the staff will take care of them for you.  I would definitely second and third the wearing some type of footwear due to the rocks.  PC is not a natural beach.  The food is basic picnic fare but at least the meat is prepared on shore while the rest is brought from the ship just like your personal picnic in a park. 

The last time we were ashore they had "food trucks" which left much to be desired.  The food had been prepared on the ship and brought ashore while the "trucks" were more like carts.  That may have been a trial that failed. 

After lunch and as the time to depart grows closer there will be long lines for the tenders back to the ship so plan ahead.  You certainly will not get left on the island if you stay in their area. 

There is an opportunity to leave the area and explore the island but you will need your ID to get back into the area and have pre-arranged transportation or just walk.  There are a few local vendors just outside the gate for your shopping pleasure. They take the USD. 

While at PC everything that you buy is charged to your folio.  Soda pop is available but pax who have the soda option will have to pay for soda pop as it is not part of the package.  Drink prices (adult or other) are the same as on the ship but the variety available is much less.  They have large covered areas with picnic tables for eating.   

The last few times we were at PC we stayed on the ship not being beach people and easily sunburned.  Needless to say the ship was all but deserted. 

A tip regarding food.

Lunch is served for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It's cafeteria style. There are two serving areas. The one to the left is the largest. The one to the right over the bridge is smaller and usually less crowded. Also, over the bridge you will find street wagons that serve tacos, hot dogs and some other items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1