Manfredi's or Chef's Table for birthday?

zitsky

Another vote for Manfredi's. Friendly staff, many choices, no rush.  Our 11/15/2018 Cuba trip was perhaps 75% full, so there was no problem making multiple reservations if you so chose. Just stop by the desk in the World Cafe, and see what's available.  Being flexible, and accepting a shared table was very rewarding.

I found the number of servings at Chef's Table to be fine, and liked the Asian selections.  One fellow table mate out of six people total,  didn't like anything, and would have much preferred a cheeseburger.   It was clear she was there under duress, and was heading straight for World Cafe after CT concluded.

Many people wait to book CT onboard so they can choose a food style they like. I would book Manfredi’s ahead of time for the actual birthday.   

I liked both specialties.  We loved Manfredis and liked CT more than we thought we wood.  We had the West Indies menu, delicious beef.  The food portions were fine and we were not hungry afterward.  

Manfredis served a pistachio cake that was terrific.  Also loved their crispy, thin slices of chicken parm.  

• 3 months later...

Thanks Just_Dont.  I don't know why I couldn't find this.

I see a few options for vegetables (creamed spinach, asparagus) but not too many.  Mostly meat and carbs.  Not a big surprise but I did expect more obvious vegetable choices, like a caesar salad etc.  There is one vegetable salad on the appetizer menu.

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I see a few options for vegetables (creamed spinach, asparagus) but not too many.  Mostly meat and carbs.  Not a big surprise but I did expect more obvious vegetable choices, like a caesar salad etc.  There is one vegetable salad on the appetizer menu.

I can't remember  if there was one in the restaurant but if so,  I'm sure they can get it for you, just ask 

14 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

I can't remember  if there was one in the restaurant but if so,  I'm sure they can get it for you, just ask 

That is true.  Just ask.  Caesar salad with salmon or chicken available 24 hours.  You can get one in Manfredi's or The Restaurant also when they are open.  Additionally, Manfredi's (at least on the Sun) was very open to changing sauces, side dishes, pastas when asked.  Pretty much it is if they can do it for you they will do it for you. 🍸

We start our Alaska cruise on 26 May and I celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary on the same night, coz we got married on my birthday. 😉. We were supposed to go to Alaska on Princess to celebrate my 60th onboard but I had to cancel that as I developed a DVT in my neck and not able to travel so this is my second attempt and good to go!

We ended up booking Manfredis for that night, just a table for two. We have booked CT for the next night (last night onboard) as that was the only menu that appealed (Thai). But we might cancel that one anyway. 

Hubby loves crab and sushi and we’ve never had Alaskan crab before so I’m hoping he will be all crabbed out by then after 8 nights of Viking food. 

Our Aussie Viking rep knows it’s a birthday and wedding anniversary celebration in June and he’s noted it. I wonder what will happen.....

Our Aussie Viking rep knows it’s a birthday and wedding anniversary celebration in June and he’s noted it. I wonder what will happen.....

Take a look at post #23 above for the response I got from Viking regarding the birthdays my wife and I will be celebrating on our June cruise.
We, too, are wondering what will happen, but it sounds like our will include cake! [emoji512]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Take a look at post #23 above for the response I got from Viking regarding the birthdays my wife and I will be celebrating on our June cruise.
We, too, are wondering what will happen, but it sounds like our will include cake! emoji512.png

Hopefully not two cakes on the one night then!

31 minutes ago, just_dont said:

I'm hoping to return to a bottle of champagne chilling in our cabin emoji898.pngemoji1635.png

I ordered champagne for the cabin because I didn't know if they would do it for my birthday.

Edited by zitsky

On 1/16/2019 at 5:42 PM, canook1 said:

Hi, we just returned from 2 weeks on the Sky.  Manfredi's, in my opinion is hands down the best specialty restaurant, with attentive friendly waiters.  Food consistently fabulous.  We tried the Chef's kitchen twice, as you know it is a "fixed menu" and the menu changes every 2-3 nts. I believe, we tried both the Asian menu and the Indian food menu.  In both cases, they will definitely push the premium wine pkg. which was cheap at $25, one tasting to accompany each dish.   It is indeed a different experience, but I found the waiters to be robotic, they each have their descriptions to accompany each dish.  Found the service to be inconsistent and formal, plus tiny portions of food which did not appeal to our table at all.  My son and daughter in law accompanied us, they are definite foodies and they were not impressed, as were many of the other passengers we spoke with.  If you want a fun birthday, I would definitely do either The Restaurant (which is fabulous) or Manifredi's.  We loved our experience on the Viking Sky otherwise.

I agree with you about Chefs Table on the sky having recently sailed too.

However Chefs Table on the Star and the Sea have been outstanding both in terms of the food and the wait staff.

I personally don’t like the pairing wines being served all at once at the beginning of the meal either on the Sky. Don’t know if that is now new Viking policy though?

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

You can definitely get a Caesar salad in Manfredi's -- I've done that several times and it wasn't a problem.  I second the recommendation for Manfredi's for your birthday, especially since you can't know in advance what will be on the CT menu.  Make the Manfredi's reservation and when you get on board if it turns out the CT menu on your birthday is one you would especially like, cancel Manfredi's and reserve CT instead.  They hold tables back, especially early in the cruise, and I bet if you told them you wanted to swap Manfredi's for CT because it's your birthday, they would find you a table.  Good luck!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dauntless said:
  On 4/25/2019 at 3:20 PM, zitsky said:

I don't exactly remember, but that may be an older (or possibly newer) menu.  When we were on Star in Oct 2018 I had porketta one night and I don't see it on that menu.  Again, my memory may be off and it was a special offering for the evening, but I don't recall special daily offerings at Manfredi's other than the Pescato del Giorno.  Also there was a truffled gnocci that was to die for that does not appear on this menu and I am sure that was listed in the pasta section.

37 minutes ago, ropomo said:

I don't exactly remember, but that may be an older (or possibly newer) menu.  When we were on Star in Oct 2018 I had porketta one night and I don't see it on that menu.  Again, my memory may be off and it was a special offering for the evening, but I don't recall special daily offerings at Manfredi's other than the Pescato del Giorno.  Also there was a truffled gnocci that was to die for that does not appear on this menu and I am sure that was listed in the pasta section.

On our two cruises on the Sea we had specials in Manfredi’s every one of the

12 or so times we dined there.

The also were very good about making things we requested because of dietary limitations.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to see if they can deliver the chocolate cake on my birthday (duh!), when I go for dinner at Manfredi's.  (It's a gift from my TA.)  Anyone know how big these cakes are?  Big enough for 1-2 people or more like 3-4?

I'm going to see if they can deliver the chocolate cake on my birthday (duh!), when I go for dinner at Manfredi's.  (It's a gift from my TA.)  Anyone know how big these cakes are?  Big enough for 1-2 people or more like 3-4?
I should be able to let you know a little over a week from now [emoji6]