New England/Canada which port

STREETKING

We are currently booked on a 7 day, October 12, New England/Canada Cruise leaving out of Manhatten or Brooklyn. My question is when will you know for sure which port and for those that have cruised out of these ports which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your input

Brad

15 minutes ago, STREETKING said:

We are currently booked on a 7 day, October 12, New England/Canada Cruise leaving out of Manhatten or Brooklyn. My question is when will you know for sure which port and for those that have cruised out of these ports which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your input

Brad

The Regal will leave out of Brooklyn (Red Hook). 

I can't really comment as to which port is better as I have only left out of Brooklyn.

We've not sailed out of NYC (just Newark once), but have sailed into it many times, always to Red Hook.  I didn't realize that Princess ever sailed out of Manhattan.  If you had a choice, it would depend on if you were planning to spend a few days in Manhattan pre- or post-cruise (Manhattan would obviously be the handiest for that).  Also, you would need to know when making your air arrangements.  Red Hook is closest to Laguardia and JFK.  Actually visiting Manhattan would be closer to Red Hook than getting to those 2 airports if you wanted to do pre- or post-cruise visit.   If you've never been to NYC, IMHO it would be well worth to do so in conjunction with your cruise if you have the time to do so.

On the itinerary, it has Brooklyn/Manhattan which led me to believe it could be either, with a decision coming later as to which one. We definitely would like to spend some time in NYC since neither of us has been there before. We're flying into Laguardia, I'm looking at some hotels in  Times Square area and trying to figure out how far away we would be to the Port.

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

Brad

1 hour ago, STREETKING said:

Thanks for your input

Brad

As stated by others your ship will embark at Red Hook Cruise Terminal in Brooklyn. You don't get to choose which one your prefer. If you are staying overnight before or after the cruise stay in Manhattan. Red Hook is not in a tourist area.

• Like 1

I suspect Brooklyn/Manhattan is written that way to let you know that you are near to Manhattan.  Princess does this often when the actual port is not where the cruisers want to go.  We have always left from Red Hook.   Not a lot at the dock.  You will find more tourist attractions in Manhattan but remember hotel costs are high.  If you elect to overnight in Brooklyn you will need transportation to the pier.

Thanks, that makes a little more sense. With the way they listed it I thought they sailed out of both and a determination would be made at a later date. We'll stay in Manhattan, I'm leaning towards a Hilton property since I have some Hilton points to use. We're leaning towards the Time Square area since we've never seen the Empire st. Building or been to Times SQ. but open to suggestions on other areas and attractions.

I assume that you are handling your baggage on the ferry. Have you seen my wife pack for a 7 day cruise :classic_laugh:? Just kidding as I probably have more luggage than her regardless of the 10 pair of shoes she'll have packed(glad she don't read Cruise Critic!)

Thanks for the link I'll check it out, it's certainly a possibility.

Brad

18 hours ago, STREETKING said:

Thanks, that makes a little more sense. With the way they listed it I thought they sailed out of both and a determination would be made at a later date. We'll stay in Manhattan, I'm leaning towards a Hilton property since I have some Hilton points to use. We're leaning towards the Time Square area since we've never seen the Empire st. Building or been to Times SQ. but open to suggestions on other areas and attractions.

There is a Doubletree in Times Square & the Hilton Midtown is within walking distance to Times Square. Also several Hilton Garden Inns.

Edited by tempus137

We took this same cruise 2 yrs ago;  spectacular views leaving from Red Hook. Also, as a native NYer, would highly recommend staying in a Times Sqare area, lots to see within walking distance and also central location for subway/buses. Would also recommend the HoHo bus, can see a lot in a short time.  We had a port side cabin and enjoyed the views coming and going. Be sure to get up and out early upon return, very special view of the Statue of Liberty in early morning light.