Bidding for Upgrades

Robkat

We've just booked a cruise on the Bliss, which is us coming back to NCL for the first time in 3 years.

When we cruised NCL last, there was a system where, if you had an upcoming cruise, certain people got phone calls from 

NCL's inventory department, asking them if they'd want to pay an extra amount to receive an upgrade.

In scanning through the threads, I saw a huge one about bidding for upgrades, where it looks like there is now 

a particular place you can go, if you want to make a bid for an upgrade.  It looks like you can even bid on multiple categories.

Can someone explain how this new system works, and where we would find the correct place go to see what was available to bid on.

Thanks.

You will usually see a banner on the home page of MyNcl that will take you to another web page where you start the process.  It seems like this happens between 60 and 80 days out.  On the second page, you will have the option to book several different categories.  In our case we are in an inside room and they gave the choice of Ocean View, Balcony and Spa Balcony.  Each one had a different scale of minimum bid and what constituted a good bid.  On our cruise, many of the members got upgraded with minimal bids.  That changes depending on category and how full the ship is.

If you booked through NCL or a participating travel agent, you should receive the opportunity to bid at 80 days out from sailing. You should receive an email invitation, as well as a message in your Message Center on My NCL. You may also see an ad saying "Let's Get You Upgraded" in the rotating banner when you log into My NCL.

You will have the opportunity to bid on rooms two "metas" above your own. A "meta" is entire class of rooms, like "balcony", "interior", or Haven. If you book an inside room, you will be able to bid on oceanviews and balconies. If you book an oceanview, you will be able to bid on balconies and mini-suites. The one exception is the Epic, which has no oceanview rooms. So on the Epic, if you are in an inside room, you will be able to bid on balconies and mini-suites. Another thing to note is that Studios (found on the Epic and the Breakaway/Plus ships) are not eligible for upgrades.

56 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

If you booked through NCL or a participating travel agent, you should receive the opportunity to bid at 80 days out from sailing. You should receive an email invitation, as well as a message in your Message Center on My NCL. You may also see an ad saying "Let's Get You Upgraded" in the rotating banner when you log into My NCL.

You will have the opportunity to bid on rooms two "metas" above your own. A "meta" is entire class of rooms, like "balcony", "interior", or Haven. If you book an inside room, you will be able to bid on oceanviews and balconies. If you book an oceanview, you will be able to bid on balconies and mini-suites. The one exception is the Epic, which has no oceanview rooms. So on the Epic, if you are in an inside room, you will be able to bid on balconies and mini-suites. Another thing to note is that Studios (found on the Epic and the Breakaway/Plus ships) are not eligible for upgrades.

I have an inside, if I bid on both balcony and OV am I lowering my chances of getting the higher category? i.e. will I possibly only get an OV and not a balcony?  

15 minutes ago, NOLALADY said:

I have an inside, if I bid on both balcony and OV am I lowering my chances of getting the higher category? i.e. will I possibly only get an OV and not a balcony?  

That is correct. If your objective is an inside or balcony, don’t bid on the OV. 

Further, bids in this range often get filled quickly (not week of cruise like suites) if there is a lot of inventory. So, bid as soon as you have an opportunity. 

Edited by BirdTravels

16 minutes ago, misguy said:

On our that leaves on Thursday people were getting upgraded on Monday still.

Yep, you can be upgraded as late as 48 hours before sailing. That's when I received my upgrade on my Gem sailing in January. At almost exactly 48 hours out.

Thanks for all the detailed responses!  

This is excellent information and we're looking forward to getting closer in to our cruise to see what our upgrade choices would be.  

I guess the days of complimentary upgrades (aka the Upgrade Fairy) are long gone!  😩

On 1/16/2019 at 10:03 AM, Robkat said:

Thanks for all the detailed responses!  

This is excellent information and we're looking forward to getting closer in to our cruise to see what our upgrade choices would be.  

I guess the days of complimentary upgrades (aka the Upgrade Fairy) are long gone!  😩

We call them the upsell Fairy!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, btracing03234 said:

Does anyone know whether bookings at inside Sail Away rates get points credited for number of nights sailed if in receipt of upgrade?

You will get 1 point per night, even if you are on a Latitudes Rewards sailing that would normally reward 2 points per night for non-sailaway categories. Upgrades through the Upgrade Advantage Program do not award any additional perks like Free at Sea or Latitudes Rewards points. The only exceptions are spa access when upgrading to a Spa Cabin and Haven access, butler, and concierge when upgrading to a Haven Suite.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, Robkat said:

We've just booked a cruise on the Bliss, which is us coming back to NCL for the first time in 3 years.

When we cruised NCL last, there was a system where, if you had an upcoming cruise, certain people got phone calls from 

NCL's inventory department, asking them if they'd want to pay an extra amount to receive an upgrade.

In scanning through the threads, I saw a huge one about bidding for upgrades, where it looks like there is now 

a particular place you can go, if you want to make a bid for an upgrade.  It looks like you can even bid on multiple categories.

Can someone explain how this new system works, and where we would find the correct place go to see what was available to bid on.

Thanks.

When you bid on an upgrade, do you get to keep all the perks that you currently have?  I would to lose all my perks just to upgrade.

1 hour ago, cmh said:

When you bid on an upgrade, do you get to keep all the perks that you currently have?  I would to lose all my perks just to upgrade.

The only perk you could lose is spa access if you are in a Spa Cabin and upgrade to a non-spa cabin. Otherwise, you keep all of your Free at Sea and Latitudes Rewards perks.

Edited by JamieLogical

• 2 weeks later...

FYI ... I did receive the email offering me to bid on an upgrade.  For me, that would be a balcony cabin.  I placed a low bid.  The 'meter' said it was a very poor offer.  I put a call in to my NCL cruise consultant and discovered that a regular upgrade .... just pay the difference ... was $80 per person.  At $160 for 2 of us ... that was much lower than I 'offered' for the upgrade.  I cancelled the offer online .... received the email confirming the cancellation of my 'offer'.   I then just paid the money and upgraded my inside cabin to a balcony cabin for much less money.  

Just something to know about these 'offer' emails. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

FYI ... I did receive the email offering me to bid on an upgrade.  For me, that would be a balcony cabin.  I placed a low bid.  The 'meter' said it was a very poor offer.  I put a call in to my NCL cruise consultant and discovered that a regular upgrade .... just pay the difference ... was $80 per person.  At $160 for 2 of us ... that was much lower than I 'offered' for the upgrade.  I cancelled the offer online .... received the email confirming the cancellation of my 'offer'.   I then just paid the money and upgraded my inside cabin to a balcony cabin for much less money.  

Just something to know about these 'offer' emails. 

Yes, it's always important to keep an eye on current pricing. No reason to bid more than the cost to just upgrade directly! But some people don't pay attention, don't see the price drops, and end up overpaying on their bids.