Bringing apples onboard...the fruit, not the computer.

wldflr

I know all about not bringing fruit off the cruise ships, but what about bringing your own fruit onboard at embarkation? Hubby loves honeycrisp apples and is trying to eat healthy. The granny smith apples in the cabin fruit bowls are like rocks, he says. (For the record, I tried doing a search here and got nothing with "fruit" and "apple" just got me threads about using Apple computers while cruising.)

Yes, I know it's a crazy question, but if you love honeycrisps like he does - you understand. Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, wldflr said:

Never mind... I found the answer on another board. No fruit allowed at embarkation.

Love the title of your thread 🙂 

You can’t take flowers or fruit OFF the ship, but you can bring them ON in most ports.  There are a few exceptions but not many.

I was under the impression for years that you couldn’t bring fruit on until security crew reminded me that’s where the ship gets their supplies too.

10 hours ago, wldflr said:

Never mind... I found the answer on another board. No fruit allowed at embarkation.

How long  is your cruise?    Maybe he can go a week or so  eating whatever  apples  the ship  provides?    Is that an option?  😄   Hope you have a    great  cruise and  he can get a bushel of his apples when you re turn home.

sail.noordam@gmail.com

image.png

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, kazu said:

You can’t take flowers or fruit OFF the ship, but you can bring them ON in most ports.  There are a few exceptions but not many.

I was under the impression for years that you couldn’t bring fruit on until security crew reminded me that’s where the ship gets their supplies too.

I have picked up strawberries in farmers markets in several ports on Canada cruises and nobody challenged me. (Both HAL and Cunard) I don't know how they do it, but eastern Canadian farmers produce a very nice crop of FALL strawberries. 

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

I eat their bananas, grapes and pears.  We usually bring a paper bag, and put the pears inside to ripen.

That's a good suggestion. I love pears but they are often not ripe yet when in fruit baskets. I know to "check the neck" for ripeness when I buy them. Learned that (after years of buying unripe pears) from a representative of the pear growing industry a few years ago. 

9 hours ago, sail7seas said:

How long  is your cruise?    Maybe he can go a week or so  eating whatever  apples  the ship  provides?    Is that an option?  😄   Hope you have a    great  cruise and  he can get a bushel of his apples when you re turn home.

Just like Apple computers and phones, some people cannot go 7 days without their apples,  technical type or the ones grown on trees.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by TAD2005

8 hours ago, wldflr said:

Hubby says he wants to bring a few honeycrisp apples when we board in Ft. Lauderdale. I told him the worst that could happen is that they take them away.

Exactly 🙂 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:14 AM, kazu said:

Security crew, while the ones to enforce the rules, are not necessarily trained in them.  Bringing any food, other than factory sealed food, onboard a ship that calls at US ports, is a technical violation of USPH requirements.  While it is true that the ship gets their fruit and produce from shore, it must come from verifiable and certified sources, which your apple may or may not be provable to be.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Security crew, while the ones to enforce the rules, are not necessarily trained in them.  Bringing any food, other than factory sealed food, onboard a ship that calls at US ports, is a technical violation of USPH requirements.  While it is true that the ship gets their fruit and produce from shore, it must come from verifiable and certified sources, which your apple may or may not be provable to be.

Thanks for the clarification.

The rules are different for non US ports, then?  

Appreciate the info 🙂 

58 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the clarification.

The rules are different for non US ports, then?  

Appreciate the info 🙂 

If a cruise ship calls at a US port at any point during it's cruise, it agrees to comply with the USPH VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) for the duration of the cruise.  This VSP is what requires verification of source for all foods onboard.  So, even at a foreign port, if the ship calls at a US port before or after, bringing fruit onboard is not allowed.  If the ship does not call at a US port at any time during its itinerary, then it does not have to adhere to the VSP.  Strangely enough, the only US flag large cruise ship, NCL's POA, does not fall under the USPH since it does not leave the US, and is consequently regulated by the FDA, which has similar, but different, rules than the USPH, and fruit and most foods can be brought readily onto the ship, as it is all of Hawaiian origin.