Dinner YC Question

Chade5772

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

The most important question is: Do you get any Champagne with the deluxe package?

I've added it to my list of things to check out, SC.  I'll probably start a thread about all things Armonia and will post my findings there.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

The most important question is: Do you get any Champagne with the deluxe package?

You get champagne, by the glass, in YC....without a doubt!

Edited by hamrag

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Indeed a most important question! 
Thanks for confirming @hamrag.  You don't happen to know which sort, do you? 

From my side, I can say most Amercicans call everything sparking "champagne" and consider Prosecco an equal alternative.  My favorite is cava, but champagne is nice.  Prosecco is OK-ish in a pinch (and free), but I have no idea what to think about Spumante.  I see MSC serves it a lot.  Is it sweet?  Which of the above does it most closely compare to?  (Please don't say sparking Moscato).

YAY bubbles! My favorite sound!

sparkling-champagne-popping-cork.jpg

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The included Champagne is Nicolas Feuillatte, there is a Prosecco, and a dry sparkling and a sweet sparkling wine.

Indeed, that is what was served on Meraviglia....within, and outwith YC....!

3 hours ago, disneyg1rl said:

Indeed a most important question! 
Thanks for confirming @hamrag.  You don't happen to know which sort, do you? 

From my side, I can say most Amercicans call everything sparking "champagne" and consider Prosecco an equal alternative.  My favorite is cava, but champagne is nice.  Prosecco is OK-ish in a pinch (and free), but I have no idea what to think about Spumante.  I see MSC serves it a lot.  Is it sweet?  Which of the above does it most closely compare to?  (Please don't say sparking Moscato).

YAY bubbles! My favorite sound!

sparkling-champagne-popping-cork.jpg

I'm not an expert but try Gosset. Gosset is my favorite house and if you try that there is no question, Champagne is the best! I like cava too but Champagne is...........................

Gosset is the oldest still active house in Champagne. They started their production in 1584. From the beginning they produced still wine but they have produced Champagne a long time and they never disappoint me.

you brought up a point in this thread that I  forgot.  On YC Divina we ahd the  same  table  each night and  they encouraged  you  to keep to your  dining  time that you indicated the first day.

on Seaside YC we  seldom had  the  same table  and there  was  no issue if you cam 30  minute  after  the time you suggested.

I am thinking Seaside  had more  tables  than people , assuming  a  2 x turn of the  table.

also on divina the Maitr d , was  much more involved nd cooked  pasta each night --not on Seaside!!

Just thought I'd share our experience of the YC restaurant on the Preziosa.

They did ask us upon check about our preferred dining time. We said 8 to be told not possible please come at 8.30. Sure no problem, this was the Christmas cruise and fully booked so we understood. The first night we waited 10 minutes to be seated. Second night, third night close to half an hour and fourth night over half an hour. So for the remainder of the cruise we had extra long aperitifs (with real champagne:classic_wink:) and showed up at 9 - 9.15.

The staff were great, the maître 'd and the sommelier a joke.

The food ranged from OK to bad.

YC dining staff will ask if you have a preferred dining time each evening - but it is only a guide to estimate demand. You can still go in when you wish. 

While it is correct that YC has mostly tables for 2, there is in my opinion a huge difference in what a table for 2 actually is. 

A table for 2 which is 6 inches fr the next table is NOT a table for 2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Annbel1511 said:

Just thought I'd share our experience of the YC restaurant on the Preziosa.

They did ask us upon check about our preferred dining time. We said 8 to be told not possible please come at 8.30. Sure no problem, this was the Christmas cruise and fully booked so we understood. The first night we waited 10 minutes to be seated. Second night, third night close to half an hour and fourth night over half an hour. So for the remainder of the cruise we had extra long aperitifs (with real champagne:classic_wink:) and showed up at 9 - 9.15.

The staff were great, the maître 'd and the sommelier a joke.

The food ranged from OK to bad.

Hm - that's not so good. Anything close to half an hour wait is unacceptable. 10 minutes is OK by me. They definitely must have been at capacity, but it's still not great asking you for a preference and then actually seating you an hour to an hour and a quarter after you really wanted!

Also disappointed that the food verged onto 'bad' in the YC. We are in Preziosa YC in October so sincerely hope this is not a sign of things to come.

3 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Hm - that's not so good. Anything close to half an hour wait is unacceptable. 10 minutes is OK by me. They definitely must have been at capacity, but it's still not great asking you for a preference and then actually seating you an hour to an hour and a quarter after you really wanted!

Also disappointed that the food verged onto 'bad' in the YC. We are in Preziosa YC in October so sincerely hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Indeed. As agreed, I shall report our experience in due course!

Edited by hamrag

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

People have very different opinions about food. That someone say that the food was bad doesn't necessary mean that the food was bad it can also mean that they just didn't liked the food. (I don't say that the food wasn't bad because I was not in that cruise. I just say that it wasn't necessary bad because someone said it was bad.)

Most, or maybe all, food we ate in the YC on Meraviglia was better than the food we have eaten in NCLs Haven and we really like the food in the Haven! (Just my opinion!)

• Like 2

Although we had a couple of dishes which were not as good as we'd expect, none of our food was bad in YC on Preziosa during our December sailing. Not every dish was exceptional but there was certainly nothing terrible or inedible. If you are served anything which you find is terrible or you really dislike, then they will happily bring you a replacement.

• Like 1

None of the food was inedible but there were dishes that were bad. Staff even apologized for some of the dishes that were served and admitted that they were not good. The maitre 'd said the same and blamed it on all passangers coming to dinner at the same time.

One of the dishes that were really bad was the lobster tail. It was really rubbery and tasteless. There was also no consistency in the dishes. For exemple with the lobster tail, I got some carrots and that was it. The guest at the table next to us got no vegetables but they got sauce. Another table got carrots, asparagus and sauce. Sometimes even dishes at the same table were different.

I believe there was a real staffing problem as in they were understaffed and as I mentionned before the maitre 'd was very flamboyant but I found that he hindered the staff more then he helped them. It was really funny to see when one evening the YC director come to dinner and as soon as he came in the maitre 'd became much more professional.

As I mentioned in my previous post the sommelier was a joke. One night we asked for a more robust wine and he came over with a bottle and started explaining about the wine. Well he didn't say a lot, he just said that wine only came onboard yesterday and he doesn't know anything about it. He then shoved the wine in my face and asked me to read the label (did he forget his glasses?) and tell him the "cepage". My husband and myself found this hilarious and could not stop laughing. I don't know that much about wine but I get the feeling that I could have done better then him.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:03 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Do you think that the staff on Divina will agree with me if I say that I shall get what's included in the Deluxe package? If yes, how do I know what that is now when the menues are changed?

MSC in Sweden has told me that no package is included but drinks are included! I know but what's included!!!!

Hi to you sverigecruiser from another cruise junkie in Stockholm 😃
My clear advises: 1) Make sure you get everything sorted out here back home before you embark the ship!  2) Get it in writing!

I'm sorry, but the staff onboard the vessel (MSC Divina) will not agree with you at all...if you cannot prove what you're saying. You must have everything clarified in your booking!

I find it very strange when you claim that the MSC office here in Sweden says "that no package is included but drinks are included! I know but what's included!!!!"
So - get it sorted out...and get it in writing 🤓  Happy cruising!
(Myself, I have a lot of experience from MSC Cruises... 👀  Have even cruised onboard NCL, RCCL/RCI, Celebrity and HAL ...so far... 🛳️😀)

17 hours ago, CoupleUK said:

YC dining staff will ask if you have a preferred dining time each evening - but it is only a guide to estimate demand. You can still go in when you wish. 

While it is correct that YC has mostly tables for 2, there is in my opinion a huge difference in what a table for 2 actually is. 

A table for 2 which is 6 inches fr the next table is NOT a table for 2.

We never had to wait once when arriving for dinner. We arrived various times each night and had no issues. That said, I have to agree with this post that a table for 2, 6 inches away from next table was not appreciated. I get it, but we do like a little space. :classic_smile:

A note on service in YC restaurant on Meraviglia....SLOW.  As always, take everything with a grain of salt, but our experience in YC was bad enough that we ate at the Butchers Cut twice so we could enjoy smiles and great service. During our 3 nights in the YC for dinner, we watched 4 couples get up and leave prior to getting their food, or even before ordering due to the slow service. We came for breakfast 3 times, and ended up walking out ourselves on 2nd visit. Not sure it was even noticed until after we were gone. Maybe a fluke, but things seemed quite disorganized.

4 hours ago, Frode said:

I'm sorry, but the staff onboard the vessel (MSC Divina) will not agree with you at all...if you cannot prove what you're saying. You must have everything clarified in your booking!🛳️😀)

Tack Frode!

There is no question that drinks will be included but I really wonder which drinks and how to know when I look at a menu.

Lots of people here say that the deluxe package was included for the YC before the changes but MSC in Sweden say that's incorrect! If the deluxe package was included, will it be enough to show when I booked the cruise to get that?