Dinner YC Question

Chade5772

😃
I find it very strange when you claim that the MSC office here in Sweden says "that no package is included but drinks are included! I know but what's included!!!!"
So - get it sorted out...and get it in writing 🤓  Happy cruising!
(Myself, I have a lot of experience from MSC Cruises... 👀  Have even cruised onboard NCL, RCCL/RCI, Celebrity and HAL ...so far... 🛳️😀)

That was exactly what MSC in Sweden said, no package was included because the YC is a completely different experience.

I could copy and paste from their mail but it's not allowed to use another language than English.

I will contact them again. We embark February 10 so I still have some time to sort it out!

None of the food was inedible but there were dishes that were bad. Staff even apologized for some of the dishes that were served and admitted that they were not good. The maitre 'd said the same and blamed it on all passangers coming to dinner at the same time.

One of the dishes that were really bad was the lobster tail. It was really rubbery and tasteless. There was also no consistency in the dishes. For exemple with the lobster tail, I got some carrots and that was it. The guest at the table next to us got no vegetables but they got sauce. Another table got carrots, asparagus and sauce. Sometimes even dishes at the same table were different.

I believe there was a real staffing problem as in they were understaffed and as I mentionned before the maitre 'd was very flamboyant but I found that he hindered the staff more then he helped them. It was really funny to see when one evening the YC director come to dinner and as soon as he came in the maitre 'd became much more professional.

As I mentioned in my previous post the sommelier was a joke. One night we asked for a more robust wine and he came over with a bottle and started explaining about the wine. Well he didn't say a lot, he just said that wine only came onboard yesterday and he doesn't know anything about it. He then shoved the wine in my face and asked me to read the label (did he forget his glasses?) and tell him the "cepage". My husband and myself found this hilarious and could not stop laughing. I don't know that much about wine but I get the feeling that I could have done better then him.

What did they say when you complained?

We did not complain officialy if that is what you mean. We’re on a holiday and we really do not want to waste precious time. 

We did mention to the staff in the YC restaurant that we thought some of the food was bad and as I  mentionned the were aware of this. 

The situation with the sommelier was just hilarious. 

Tack Frode!

There is no question that drinks will be included but I really wonder which drinks and how to know when I look at a menu.

Lots of people here say that the deluxe package was included for the YC before the changes but MSC in Sweden say that's incorrect! If the deluxe package was included, will it be enough to show when I booked the cruise to get that?

--------------

That was exactly what MSC in Sweden said, no package was included because the YC is a completely different experience.

I could copy and paste from their mail but it's not allowed to use another language than English.

I will contact them again. We embark February 10 so I still have some time to sort it out!

Hej igen sverigecruiser.
I understand you're going to depart February 10th (the map below) in MSC Divina's YC - is that right? (Congratulation - that will be a great experience...I hope).

That's correct; MSC Sweden (and all over the planet) changed their drink packages during a weekend - sometime in October/November 2018 - from one day to another 🙄 However, customers who had booked their MSC cruise before that weekend got/will still get the previous packages they booked/was included in the actual sales/marketing campaign at that time.
As an YC-passenger, the All Inclusive DeLuxe drink package earlier for sure was included in the price you paid when booking a cabin in the YC section onboard (which ment more or less the whole spectre of drinks...I didn't know of any restrictions).
And I am very confident that you still will have the very best range and offers of drinks in the YC.

I actually left the cruise business/travel trade industry here in Sweden in September -18, after many years employment within sales. Regrettably, the changes MSC made concerning the drink packages were introduced a couple of months after I quit. If not - I still would have been an expert and could have answered your questions 100 % correctly. 

DIVINA 10FEB2019.JPG

Edited by Frode

3 minutes ago, Frode said:

Hej igen sverigecruiser.
I understand you're going to depart February 10th (the map below) in MSC Divina's YC - is that right? (Congratulation - that will be a great experience...I hope).

That's correct; MSC Sweden (and all over the planet) changed their drink packages during a weekend - sometime in October/November 2018 - from one day to another 🙄 However, customers who had booked their MSC cruise before that weekend got/will still get the previous packages they booked/was included in the actual sales/marketing campaign at that time.
As a YC-passenger, the All Inclusive DeLuxe drink package earlier for sure was included in the price you paid when booking a cabin in the YC section onboard (which ment more or less the whole spectre of drinks...I didn't know of any restrictions).
And I am very confident that you still will have the very best range and offers of drinks in the YC.

I actually left the cruise business/travel trade industry here in Sweden in September -18, after many years employment within sales. Regrettably, the changes MSC made concerning the drink packages were introduced a couple of months after I quit. If not - I still would have been an expert and could have answered your questions 100 % correctly.

DIVINA 10FEB2019.JPG

Yes, that's our cruise. We will stay on Clarion at Arlanda the night between February 6 and February 7, we live in Gävle. February 7 we will fly to Miami via London with British Airways in business class. So tomorrow it's two weeks left!

I have heared it before that the deluxe package was included before the changes but MSC in Sweden still said that no specific drink package was/is included for passengers in the YC. We cruised on Meraviglia in July 2017 and then everything in the menu without * or with one * was included for the YC. No specific drink package is mentioned in our cruisedocuments from that cruise and not in the documents for our coming cruise either.

I will be happy if any kind of Champagne is included, like it was on Meraviglia, but even if it isn't we will for sure have a great cruise!

11 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Yes, that's our cruise. We will stay on Clarion at Arlanda the night between February 6 and February 7, we live in Gävle. February 7 we will fly to Miami via London with British Airways in business class. So tomorrow it's two weeks left!

I have heared it before that the deluxe package was included before the changes but MSC in Sweden still said that no specific drink package was/is included for passengers in the YC. We cruised on Meraviglia in July 2017 and then everything in the menu without * or with one * was included for the YC. No specific drink package is mentioned in our cruisedocuments from that cruise and not in the documents for our coming cruise either.

I will be happy if any kind of Champagne is included, like it was on Meraviglia, but even if it isn't we will for sure have a great cruise!

I really don't know what can be posted to finally convince you that Premium Plus is what you will get! 

lita på mig

Go to Post #3 on the following YC Meraviglia thread,

The poster writes the following:

'Officially YC is not tied to a specific drink package, that said, based on a conversation with our favorite waitress in the Sky Lounge, our account was labeled as Premium Plus.  Specialty coffees are included. You can get cafe lattes in the Top Sail Lounge as well as other espresso based drinks like macchiatos. The Edge bar on deck 6 has a couple of other speciality coffees, like latte caramela, a mokachino, and one more I cant recall the name of.'

Edited by hamrag

Somebody mentioned wine sommeliers in the YC (Le Muse) and on our two Divina cruises there were NO sommeliers.  The Le Muse waiters would simply ask what kind of wine was wanted (without ever offering a wine list) and you could respond red or white or even mention a grape and they might give you the options (wines included at no extra cost) or some waiters would just bring what they thought was best (which was sometimes not the best).  What we found interesting was that near the door in Le Muse they did have a small wine display with "premium" wines that would have been an upsell from the free wines.  But during our 21 days nobody ever tried to get us to buy a premium wine and we were never offered a wine list.  We found the included (free) wines adequate (except for one evening when our waiter suggested Mondavi Woodbridge.

What we found interesting was that at one of our Black Card parties, the ship's wine Sommelier stopped at our table, introduced himself, and said he was always available to help with wine selections.  This was the first and only time we ever saw this man.

Hank

44 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I really don't know what can be posted to finally convince you that Premium Plus is what you will get! 

lita på mig

Go to Post #3 on the following YC Meraviglia thread,

The poster writes the following:

'Officially YC is not tied to a specific drink package, that said, based on a conversation with our favorite waitress in the Sky Lounge, our account was labeled as Premium Plus.  Specialty coffees are included. You can get cafe lattes in the Top Sail Lounge as well as other espresso based drinks like macchiatos. The Edge bar on deck 6 has a couple of other speciality coffees, like latte caramela, a mokachino, and one more I cant recall the name of.'

The reason why I am hard to convince is that MSC has told me that no specific package is included. Shouldn't they know?

If a specific package is included, why isn't that mentioned in our documents?

I really want to trust you and I have no reason not to do it except for that MSC has told me something else!

I still have two weeks to get some kind of confirmation from them so I will try again! Even if no package is included they must be able to tell me what's included!

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

The reason why I am hard to convince is that MSC has told me that no specific package is included. Shouldn't they know?

If a specific package is included, why isn't that mentioned in our documents?

I really want to trust you and I have no reason not to do it except for that MSC has told me something else!

I still have two weeks to get some kind of confirmation from them so I will try again! Even if no package is included they must be able to tell me what's included!

The thing is, because you were booked prior to the early November cut-off date for the drinks package changes, you get the old deluxe package.....which is no longer available, so they are giving YC guests Premium Plus as a few posters have reported during the past month.

By the time you board, we will already be indulging Premium Plus as YC guests on Preziosa. Do remember to leave some NF champagne for the guests who will follow once your cruise is completed!

Jag önskar er allra bästa

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Sverigecruiser; you wrote the following above: ....."but MSC in Sweden still said that no specific drink package was/is included for passengers in the YC."...

What they mean is 🤓:
There is in fact no drink package (!) for the YC guests! Having booked an YC cabin means that you are not limited to any package.
You will have free access to choose between all the range & offers of drinks onboard. You may select between everything you'll find presented in the drink lists - without any (extra) cost for you. Even real Champagne (and not only spumante/cava/crémant/prosecco...) 😘🍸
And you may even ask for drinks which is not listed in the drink lists.

Untill a couple of years ago the YC guests could only get their free drinks in the defined YC areas onboard (i e in the Top Sail Lounge, at the dedicated One Pool area and in the Le Muse YC dedicated restaurant).
However, now - as an YC passenger - you may get your drinks (free of choice and free of costs) in every single bar onboard the whole ship 🛳️ (Just bring and show your YC cabin card - which will give you many privileges.)

I'm already looking forward to your review of your upcoming cruise...which I do hope you will present here at Cruise Critic when you're back 😀 Bon voyage!

Edited by Frode

7 hours ago, Frode said:

What they mean is 🤓:
There is in fact no drink package (!) for the YC guests! Having booked an YC cabin means that you are not limited to any package.
You will have free access to choose between all the range & offers of drinks onboard. You may select between everything you'll find presented in the drink lists - without any (extra) cost for you. Even real Champagne (and not only spumante/cava/crémant/prosecco...) 😘🍸
And you may even ask for drinks which is not listed in the drink lists.

😀

Are you saying that people booked after the changes were made really get everything?

Before the changes everything wasn't included so I assume thay everything isn't included for me. I still wonder how to know what's included when I look on the menues.

I will write a review after the cruise,

In YC everything on the drinks menu is included. There are a couple pages at the back of the menu where the drinks have prices, mainly premium bottles of wine which are not included. It is very clear these are extra. 

If you look on the list here, it clearly shows new and old YC eligible drinks are unchanged. 

Screenshot_20190122-093414_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CruisingFox27

5 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

In YC everything on the drinks menu is included. There are a couple pages at the back of the menu where the drinks have prices, mainly premium bottles of wine which are not included. It is very clear these are extra. 

If you look on the list here, it clearly shows new and old YC eligible drinks are unchanged.

And that champagne by the glass, up to a price of 13, is included.....that was definitely Nicolas Feuillate on Meraviglia. My hunch, to be confirmed (or otherwise) next month, is that any champagne by the glass offered in the bars outwith YC will be included! 

To Sverige - lyckliga dagar

Just off Armonia this morning.  We had the Deluxe package.  The price limit has increased in line with the increased drinks prices so, SC, Nicholas Feuillatte @ $14.75 a glass is still included!!  They didn't have it in one of the bars we were in but they offered a substitute - Cordon Rouge.

(I very respectfully ask people to please not respond to this post for fear it will de-rail the thread.  I just wanted to give my good friend SC this info immediately.  I intend to share as much info as I can about the trip in a thread of my own some time after I get home to Ireland on Thursday.  Anyone with any interest in the subject ... keep an eye out for it.)