$1 upgrades

dltvermont

I know this offer has expired but was wondering what the $1 room upgrades actually were. Was this like upgrading from Oceanview to Balcony? or just an upgraded class of room? I went in and did a mock booking and it asked if I wanted the $1 upgrade then said to pick my room. Never said what the upgrade was doing for me.

34 minutes ago, dltvermont said:

I know this offer has expired but was wondering what the $1 room upgrades actually were. Was this like upgrading from Oceanview to Balcony? or just an upgraded class of room? I went in and did a mock booking and it asked if I wanted the $1 upgrade then said to pick my room. Never said what the upgrade was doing for me.

Had you followed through on the mock booking, you probably would have seen which cabins were being offered, and that they were within the same class. I highly doubt that Carnival would ever offer an upsell to move from an Oceanview to a Balcony cabin for only a $1.00. 

4 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

I had booked a cruise under early saver a week or so before this "sale". Came out. I did mock booking, exact same prices, exact rooms were available. I never have figured out just what an upgrade is, lol

There are actually two different types of upgrades. One is a lateral upgrade. That's when you're offered the chance to move from whatever cabin you've chosen to another cabin within the same category, typically on the same deck, and at no cost to you. We were offered such an upgrade several years ago. It was from a balcony cabin on Deck 6, mid ship, to another balcony cabin on Deck 6 further towards the Aft section. We declined. The other is really more of an "upsell". Typically it's a move from whatever category you're currently booked in to a higher category, and at an additional cost. An example would be to move from an inside cabin to an ocean view, or from an ocean view to a balcony. These offers come up when there is a demand for cabins in a certain category, but availability is very limited (or non existent), and the next higher category still has several unbooked cabins. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bostwick girl said:

I had booked a cruise under early saver a week or so before this "sale". Came out. I did mock booking, exact same prices, exact rooms were available. I never have figured out just what an upgrade is, lol

It seems to me that Carnival's default state is cabins are "always on sale", if you will, with 20% discount from full fare and free "2-level" upgrade (within same category).

Those specials go away as the cabins start to sell out in each category or fare type - which makes it look like the base fares are going up, but really it just the discounts evaporating.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses. Guess sfaaa is correct, didnt miss anything by not doing this before they expired.

For those of us that arent really experienced, it would be easier if they showed you the cabin you picked and then apply the upgrade so you can see what you would get if you took the offer.

Beachbum, I got as far as where you choose your cabin and all it did was say here are the locations and cabins, which do you want. So it didnt look like there was an "upgrade" as I never saw the available cabins without that upgrade applied.

Hi

This has been said before for new cruisers, for all  cruise lines, there are no "sales" as most would understand the word in most retail businesses. 

The price for cabins go up or down mainly due to supply and demand. Different cruise lines throw in "freebies" (more smoke and mirrors), which are just another form of upsell, to further confuse. 

The only way you will know if a given price is a good price, is if you have been following the price for a given cruise and specific cabin categories for some time. For new cruisers, the best way to ensure a good price is to book as soon as you feel confident you will be able to go on a given cruise and book with booking rate that allows you to take advantage of any price drops.