LIVE FROM - 2019 Pacific World Cruise - LA to LA

ccrain

Charles, I am so sad to hear of Judy’s passing. You have touched many of us although we’ve never met in person. There are no words that can make this better.  May her memory be a blessing to you and your family. 

John,thx for the updates. 

Nancy

16 hours ago, melodyina said:

Oh I so agree with your well spoken words.  To CCRAIN, your beautiful story, your love of Judy, your love of cruising,  for us all, yes this story just rips the heart apart, and those that have never met you, we have tears.   Your story left off, bringing her home, and you just can't bare the thought of posting on CC.. but please at least read.. read how you've inspired those to travel (more). Read how you must bring dance shoes (even though you said your 14's take up an entire bag).. Read how you will shop for Judy getting yarn, and communicate with her on ship (I hope she was ordering room service).. and what about the tool box and duct tape, weren't we all thinking INGENIOUS!.. Judy was one fortunate gal to be surrounded by your love. You have made so many proud for sharing your life and your journeys..  Judy - blessings to you on your next journey.. you are in our hearts thanks to Charles.  

Adding my voice to these as well. Charles so generously gave of his time and knowledge to help us become better cruisers and travelers. He answered every question with a well-informed response. And now he has shown us the way to live life -- to appreciate one's partner and to show them, as often as you can, how much you value them. Charles, your wit, wisdom, and sparkle have attracted a following, and all of us trust that your indomitable life spirit will shine brightly again.

• Like 1

Charles, 

My deepest sympathy to you for your loss of your beloved Judy!  I know your heart is broken and your spirit crushed… I cannot even begin to imagine the pain you are feeling from your sudden loss.  I never knew you or Judy but I have enjoyed following along on your adventures.  I was so shocked and sad when I read this. It has been on my mind and heavy in my heart all day. I pray you can find peace during this sad time and may you find comfort in the many memories that you and Judy were able to create. 

Edited by #1Nanna

On 2/13/2019 at 1:00 PM, TheRabbit said:

Been texting and emailing with Charles and he asked me to post that he is doing OK. He is getting ready to fly home shortly and it will be about 26 hours before he makes it home. He also wanted me to pass on that he is reading each and every post and they are helping, but he finds it he just can't post anything at this time.

Keep the two of them in your thoughts and prayers, we have.

Thank you, John, for being a link for Charles.  Like so many others we think of them everyday.... When putting my boots on this morning, remembering Charles and Judy at the International Cafe with boots, matching shirts, backpacks and hats ready for the days adventures.  So many little things come up each day.  Charles, we send you our thoughts and prayers.  And thank you for showing us how to live a life filled with love and adventure. 

Charles, my heart and prayers are with you. I'm glad to read that you made it home, but know that it is not the same. May all of your loving memories bring you comfort, and may all of our wishes reinforce how much you both meant to so many. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Kristy

Charles, 

like all the previous posts, Tom and I  were shocked and so saddened by Judy’s passing. Just this week I again watched the video from our DMZ tour and enjoyed all over again the great day we had with you and Judy, Niki and Doug.

Your beautiful words touched us and reminded us of how precious and short our lives are. 

Please know you and your family are in our thoughts. You have done so much for so many of us. Wishing there was anything we could do for you. 

With deepset sympathy, Tom and Reta

Thank you all for your kind words and condolences.  I have read them all and I, and Judy I'm sure, appreciate each and every one of them. I am glad that we touched so many lives over the years. And I hope we inspire more to enjoy this special world of cruising, and each other, together. 

Thank you for the cards. I'm sorry I can only read one or two a day...

I am home now trying to pick up the pieces of a shattered life.  There is no way to sugar coat it. She's gone and so is a big part of me as well. The only thing keeping me sane is all the paperwork and planning and scheduling. 

I didn't want to post ever again, just forget about it and walk away. But all of your kind words brought me back. I thought it would be rude not to at least post a final farewell and thank you to all of you whom have made cruising so fun for the both of us. 

I don't know what the future holds for me now. At this point in time, I really don't care. I have responsibilities to my kids, my grandkids, my brothers and my parents, but beyond that...?

I leave you all with three videos made over the years.

The first is a Y2K video I put together for Judy on Valentines Day 2000. Before we started cruising.

It is here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnklLO6ZVH8F5mo9EFB9hjqUUpHa

The second is a video she surprised me with on our 30th wedding anniversary in 2011. It was our first med cruise on the Grand where we got upgraded from a mini to the Owner's Suite and did a renewal of vows ceremony. Its the same cruise that our avatar picture comes from. Not a backdrop, but a picture off the balcony of the aft suite.

It is here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnklLO6ZVH8F5mlL56WeEdrUrxCb

The third video is her memorial service on the Pacific Princess 2/10/2019. A fellow passenger was kind enough to tape the service and I have boosted the volume and cleaned up the noise a bit, but you probably will have to turn up the volume a little as well. 

It is here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnklLO6ZVH8F5mjvhMBF6XRN-xmZ

This will, most likely, be my last post on cruise critic. Who knows what the future brings, but right now I doubt I will ever cruise again, ever dance again, ever love again. 

Thank you again for all of your kind words.

May you all be blessed with safe travels, fair winds, following seas and many, many special moments with your soul mate...

Farewell my friends...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What a wonderful tribute to a life well lived and loved.

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

My heart breaks for you!

We were on a segment of the Pacific Princess last year and enjoyed following your trip this year.

I'm sorry for you of the tragic ending.

Your writings have helped me tremendously over the years and have been such fun to follow - thank you so very much for all you’ve done to educate and amuse us all with your adventures over the years.  May God watch over you and your family and comfort you in the days ahead and may your sweet memories keep her spirit alive within you forever.  God bless.

Dear Charlies,

Your threads and posts have meant so much to all of us.  You will be dearly missed on Cruise Critic.  I will miss your travelogs, but understand that this is now all about you first (at least for a while), family second, and the rest of us just have to wait our turn.  I wish you well and with time to heal.  You are in everyone's thoughts and prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles,

Marjorie and I were devastated to learn of your loss.  We were so impressed with your and Judy's joie de vivre on the Circle Pacific cruise last fall...we can't believe she's gone.  We hope your treasured memories of Judy will lift your spirits in the times ahead.

Steve and Marjorie

Dear Charles,  You don't know me.  I don't post on here very often. But over the years I have read yours and Judy's cruising experiences and learned much.  Mostly how much you two cared for each other and how much you enjoyed being with each other and cruising. My wonderful husband and I also loved cruising.

I know 1st hand what you are experiencing.  My husband of 41 years passed away on March 5th.  I am also feeling lost and it is very difficult to continue.  Everything seems foreign and strange.  When I saw your post about your Dear Judy passing I cried for your loss.  As others have said, hopefully one day the memory of the wonderful times that you had together will ease the sorrow. Please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family.

I don't know if you will one day read this but wanted to let you know that you and your wonderful wife brought knowledge and joy to everyone here on this board. Barbara   

• Like 3

Dear Charles,

We just learned of your loss and we wanted to reach out to you and tell you how sorry we are. We enjoyed getting to know you on the roll call for the 60-day Circle Pacific, and, of course, during that wonderful cruise. I also had a chance to get to know Judy a little on that cruise. You both added so much to that experience. 

Peggy (and Ken)

I want to also add my condolences.  

Just got off the Crown yesterday after 10 weeks bouncing around the Caribbean and was very much looking forward to catching up on the various world cruise live threads.  Very sad to read of how this cruise ended.

We were originally scheduled to be on the w/c from FLA return but changed to a future w/c on another line.   We started this winters voyages Jan 5 on the Royal and watched the Pacific Princess sail up the channel as we followed her out to sea. 

• 4 months later...

Charles (CCrain)

We have fond memories of our cruise Shanghai to LA and the contact we had with you and Judy. It is so hard to read.  We can't imagine your pain.

I hope for you that time will help lessen the pain of losing Judy.

We are forever grateful for the help booking tours, talking to us and being part of our memories.

Barry and Heather Hong

barheat at rogers dot com

The Rest of the Story

Next week will be the 6 month anniversary of her death. 6 of the longest most anguishing months of my life. I have wanted to post an update for quite a while, but couldn’t bring myself to. Those of you whom have been in contact with me know most of the rest of the story, but just to fill everyone in, the final coroner’s report from Auckland was that she died of Salmonellosis, specifically, Salmonella Weltevreden, a variant tropical strain of Salmonella found in the tropics of the Pacific and Asia. What I thought was Noro turned out to be something far more deadly.

We held her Celebration of Life ceremony in Colorado Springs on April 6, which would have been her 64th birthday. It was well attended by friends and family. As is my hobby, I created a video of her life to show at the Celebration. As part of this final tribute, I’d like to share it with all of you:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnklLO6ZVH8F62Y5YgXk221LZDHY?e=k198Uy

One of the most incredible things I experienced when creating this video is the lack of regret in how we enjoyed our lives together. No shoulda, coulda, woulda. We cherished our time together and made the most of it. I couldn’t have wished for a better partner, a better companion, a better wife.

Remember that the next time you look at your significant other. Revel in that sense of completeness with them. Time is short on this planet and you owe it to each other to make the most of it.

• Like 7