Norwegian Sun now all inclusive?

wrecklezz316

I am trying to book Norwegian Sun April 1, 2019 western carribbean 5 nights.  However, I can not seem to get a clear answer on wether this a a all inclusive cruise like the sky.

When "upgrading" from sail away rate to a standard inside rate and choosing "Unlimited Open Bar", the prepaid gratuities are at the rate of a premium open bar ($5.80 per day), significatnly less than the gratuties for unlimited open bar (19.80 per day).  This hinted to me that maybe the ship is now open bar, even for the 5 day caribbean sailings.  When calling norwegian, they give mixed answers and agents seemed confused themselves.  

Does anyone know something I dont?  The sail away rate for this is great for a 5 night, and would be amazing if it included open bar.

I am not aware any NCL cruise ship is truly all inclusive. MANY people complain NCL "nickel and dimes" their pax too much. 

I think you need to clarify your definition of all inclusive. Is all food, in all venues, included? (I don't think so on NCL- there are extra fee restaurants). Is all beverages included? I know NCL includes beverage plans in a lot of packages, but that isn't usually for all alcohols, just the cheaper ones.

We won't get into shore excursions.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am not aware any NCL cruise ship is truly all inclusive. MANY people complain NCL "nickel and dimes" their pax too much. 

I think you need to clarify your definition of all inclusive. Is all food, in all venues, included? (I don't think so on NCL- there are extra fee restaurants). Is all beverages included? I know NCL includes beverage plans in a lot of packages, but that isn't usually for all alcohols, just the cheaper ones.

You need to do a little more NCL research before answering. As OP is aware the SKY includes an open bar for all passengers in its fare, it is considered all inclusive. I have nit heard about the SUN going that way but it may be coming soon.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The OP is clearly asking if the 5-day Sun has the open bar included (like the Sky). From the NCL website, it appears that this is one of the inclusive voyages. 

image.png.9980717ac3f25d071297b4d8fd38bfb9.png

Edited by BirdTravels

The Sun does the free open bar on some of the shorter cruises. It is the same concept/policy as the free open bar on the Sky. If it shows the "free open bar" banner on that specific cruise like BirdTravels posted above, then it is included.

Longer cruises on the Sun ( like Panama Canal) don't have the free open bar - just be sure to check. If the only "perk" you care about is the free open bar, then you can just book a sail away rate on these cruises. 

I've been on both the Sun and Sky recently. If you have any questions let me know. It is different than the UBP. Ex: shots are an up charge, but you can have them add an extra shot to your mixed drink. It's a bit strange.

I definitely prefer the Sun, since she was just renovated. Also, the Sun on these shorter cruises usually ports out of Port Canaveral vs Port of Miami. Flights to Orlando are much cheaper than flights to Miami for me.

The Sky will be undergoing drydock soon if not already started, and will be done well before your cruise in April. So she will be renovated as well. However, I'm not sure what all renovations they will be completing.

You can definitely tell that the Sun has been renovated and the Sky hasn't. For the most part though, the ship layout is the same. They are in the same ship class.

The Sun has USB charging ports on the lights next to the bed. This is helpful because there is a severe lack of regular electrical outlets in the standard cabins (one in the room, one in the bathroom).

I was last onboard the Sun in 08/2018, and the Sky 12/2018. You don't need a wristband or to swipe your ship card for the open bar. Everyone on the ship automatically has it. If you look young the bartender will ask you for your ship card to confirm your age. You will also be asked for your ship card if you order something that has an upcharge (ie shots, top shelf liquor, energy drinks).

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 4:30 PM, wrecklezz316 said:

I am trying to book Norwegian Sun April 1, 2019 western carribbean 5 nights.  However, I can not seem to get a clear answer on wether this a a all inclusive cruise like the sky.

When "upgrading" from sail away rate to a standard inside rate and choosing "Unlimited Open Bar", the prepaid gratuities are at the rate of a premium open bar ($5.80 per day), significatnly less than the gratuties for unlimited open bar (19.80 per day).  This hinted to me that maybe the ship is now open bar, even for the 5 day caribbean sailings.  When calling norwegian, they give mixed answers and agents seemed confused themselves.  

Does anyone know something I dont?  The sail away rate for this is great for a 5 night, and would be amazing if it included open bar.

I had the same issue today when looking online. It wasn't clear if open bar also was for sailaway cabins. So instead of booking online, I called them. At first the agent said no, no open bar for sailaway prices, but she checked with someone else and came back and told me it IS included. 

Nothing to see about it in my online booking, but this is from my confirmation email

CONFIRMATION GUEST COPY

SHIP: NORWEGIAN SUN SAILING: 1-Apr-2019 to 6-Apr-2019

CATEGORY / STATEROOM: IX / GTY

ITINERARY: 5- DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN FROM MIAMI: FREE OPEN BAR

EMBARKATION: MIAMI

DISEMBARKATION: MIAMI

So I guess everything is ok...

On 1/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Again...a free bar doesn't make it "all inclusive", it just makes it a free bar (which is, no doubt, nice). Are ALL meals included, or are there extra fee restaurants?

FYI - "all inclusive" is how NCL brands their cruises with free open bar (i.e. sky/sun 3-6 day cruises, and ALL staterooms are eligible, even sail away categories). 

On 1/20/2019 at 10:49 PM, zqvol said:

You need to do a little more NCL research before answering. 

---

If you book one of these sky/sun cruises and opt into the "premium plus" drink offer they have as part of Free at Sea (i.e. not eligible to Sail Away), you forego some of what would be an upcharge otherwise (that's obvious). 

On 1/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, lrsxcchick said:

I've been on both the Sun and Sky recently. If you have any questions let me know. It is different than the UBP. Ex: shots are an up charge, but you can have them add an extra shot to your mixed drink. It's a bit strange.

Did you take the premium plus perk? Curious whether a shot would be covered if you had. Although the terms for the package state it includes only beverages "by the glass." 

4 hours ago, seizetheseas said:

Did you take the premium plus perk? Curious whether a shot would be covered if you had. Although the terms for the package state it includes only beverages "by the glass." 

I did not take the perk, since it wasn't available at the time of sailing. I just booked a sailaway inside rate. Surprisingly I was assigned a decent cabin on deck 8. I mean, I didn't order any shots. But the big group at the bar in front of me was pretty disappointed when the bartender told them they weren't included.

I think a lot of people are used to the UBP but the open bar setup on these ships isn't the UBP as far as the T&Cs go.

I just confirmed this morning that my upcoming cruise on the Sun is "all-inclusive".  However, I'm currently on vacation in Panama and the ncl website is the only one I've accessed so far that I have been unable to get in english . . . so I can't read about what is & isn't included.

I booked "sailaway" and my friends booked a regular inside room.  Do we both get all-inclusive?  What is included?  Strawberry Daquiris (either virgin or with rum)?  Soft drinks?  (has anyone ever found root beer on the Sun??)  any wines?

Thanks!!

Sail away rate on the inclusive sailings on the Sun include alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages, soda included. It doesn’t include things like energy drinks, specialty coffees, high end liquor, and bottled water. There are some other restrictions-look at the NCL website for all of them when you are able.

Virgin and regular strawberry daiquiris are included. All the soda you want is also included (fountain). Several wines are also included. They have a wine list at dinner for upcharge wines. However, they always have several in the MDR that are included. Just ask your server what they have that day (there won’t be a list).

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, lrsxcchick said:

I did not take the perk, since it wasn't available at the time of sailing. I just booked a sailaway inside rate. Surprisingly I was assigned a decent cabin on deck 8. I mean, I didn't order any shots. But the big group at the bar in front of me was pretty disappointed when the bartender told them they weren't included.

I think a lot of people are used to the UBP but the open bar setup on these ships isn't the UBP as far as the T&Cs go.

I was also booked on deck 8.  Sail away rate.  Sideways cabin

On 3/13/2019 at 9:25 AM, seizetheseas said:

FYI - "all inclusive" is how NCL brands their cruises with free open bar (i.e. sky/sun 3-6 day cruises, and ALL staterooms are eligible, even sail away categories). 

---

If you book one of these sky/sun cruises and opt into the "premium plus" drink offer they have as part of Free at Sea (i.e. not eligible to Sail Away), you forego some of what would be an upcharge otherwise (that's obvious). 

How did you find out that sun 3-6 day cruises are open bar?  On their terms it says different.

7 hours ago, wrecklezz316 said:

I was also booked on deck 8.  Sail away rate.  Sideways cabin

How did you find out that sun 3-6 day cruises are open bar?  On their terms it says different. 

I found out by looking at the daily service charge which is higher for the "open bar" sailings - and mine are the higher amount.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, lrsxcchick said:

Sail away rate on the inclusive sailings on the Sun include alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages, soda included. It doesn’t include things like energy drinks, specialty coffees, high end liquor, and bottled water. There are some other restrictions-look at the NCL website for all of them when you are able.

Virgin and regular strawberry daiquiris are included. All the soda you want is also included (fountain). Several wines are also included. They have a wine list at dinner for upcharge wines. However, they always have several in the MDR that are included. Just ask your server what they have that day (there won’t be a list).

Thanks for all the info! Do you happen to know what NCL considers "premium" liquor. I'd assume grey goose vodka is premium, but what is the type of alcohol that is part of the standard "all inclusive" on the Sun? Thanks!

On 3/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, DorothyB said:

I found out by looking at the daily service charge which is higher for the "open bar" sailings - and mine are the higher amount.

What is the difference in the respective daily service charges?  Also, do you pay a gratuity for every "open bar" order?

21 hours ago, neptuno said:

What is the difference in the respective daily service charges?  Also, do you pay a gratuity for every "open bar" order?

You can see the service charge info here: https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-is-onboard-service-charge

The open bar cruises have a higher daily charge, so I am guessing no charge per order.

From the link above:

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made prior to April 1st, 2019, that prepay their service charges before their sail date:

For all ships excluding Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $17.50 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites;
    • $14.50 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $23 USD per person per day for Suites;
    • $20 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

For bookings made on or after April 1, 2019 or for sailings April 1, 2019 and beyond whose service charges have not been prepaid:

For all ships excluding Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $18 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites
    • $15 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

It’s pretty simple. Look at the NCL website. Before you even click to view cabins, it very clearly states in the cruise description and/or graphic banner “all inclusive” or “open bar” etc. It’s not hard to find. It is not confusing. Every person on the ship of age gets the free alcohol. Book any rate, it does not matter.

There are upcharges for certain liquors. Plenty of “decent” liquors are included. The included wine is very poor quality.

They would not serve me a Jameson neat because they are not “allowed” to serve straight liquor. There’s an easy workaround - ask for the liquor with one ice cube in it.

The DSC was $18.99 the last time I went,  it is now being raised to $19.99 which is clearly stated on the website.

If finding information like this is difficult for anyone, I’d suggest you find a good travel agent to handle all of this for you.

9 hours ago, neptuno said:

I was told today by a Norwegian rep than Sun daily gratuities would increase to $15 effective 01/Apr/19 ??????

Our prepaid service charges was $14.50 for our 4/1 - 4/6 Sun cruise.

Edited by uCruiser

9 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

It’s pretty simple. Look at the NCL website. Before you even click to view cabins, it very clearly states in the cruise description and/or graphic banner “all inclusive” or “open bar” etc. It’s not hard to find. It is not confusing. Every person on the ship of age gets the free alcohol. Book any rate, it does not matter.

There are upcharges for certain liquors. Plenty of “decent” liquors are included. The included wine is very poor quality.

They would not serve me a Jameson neat because they are not “allowed” to serve straight liquor. There’s an easy workaround - ask for the liquor with one ice cube in it.

The DSC was $18.99 the last time I went,  it is now being raised to $19.99 which is clearly stated on the website.

If finding information like this is difficult for anyone, I’d suggest you find a good travel agent to handle all of this for you.

It really is confusing.  Sure, the banner says open bar but there is no other indication it is an open bar cruise.  The prepaid gratuities (according to their terms) should be $20.00 when its really only $14.50 as of today.  Nowhere else on the confirmation nor in the description does it say open bar.  

The only thing to indicate it is open bar for Norwegian Sun April 1-6 is the added "Beverage Package" which has less grauities than a true beverage package.  This indicates that the "Beverage Package" add on is really only a premium beverage package (Water bottles, premium liquor, etc)

It's really not that straight forward.  Their website/terms need to be updated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrecklezz316 said:

It really is confusing.  Sure, the banner says open bar but there is no other indication it is an open bar cruise.  The prepaid gratuities (according to their terms) should be $20.00 when its really only $14.50 as of today.  Nowhere else on the confirmation nor in the description does it say open bar.  

The only thing to indicate it is open bar for Norwegian Sun April 1-6 is the added "Beverage Package" which has less grauities than a true beverage package.  This indicates that the "Beverage Package" add on is really only a premium beverage package (Water bottles, premium liquor, etc)

It's really not that straight forward.  Their website/terms need to be updated.  

Maybe Cruisingnole should use a travel agent so he/she can get the gratuities right 😉

I totally agree wrecklezz. The $14.50 threw me off as well as the open bar wasn't mentioned during the online checkout. 

They know there was a problem since they very recently updated this info page https://www.ncl.com/terms/sun-beverages.

Now it's crystal clear. However, when I booked the text on the top of the page said that open bar was on 3-4 days cruises from Port Canaveral. Further down the same page it stated that it was 3,4 and 5 days. So who would know what to believe! (except for Cruisingnole of course) 🙂

Anyway, they cleared their mess up and everything is good.

Edited by uCruiser
spelling